My son graduated last Friday

by Captain Schmideo2 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2

I have talked about him before on this forum.
    He is now a graduate from MIT!

It was a lovely weekend.

I got to meet some of the friends he has made in the past four years, and some of their families.

They were very nice, decent, friendly, and enjoyable people. Spent an evening at a parents house for an outdoor meal and the weather and surroundings were great.

One chapter of my son's life ends, and a new one begins (well, sort of. He is going for his Masters now, so he is still in school). But, I feel certain that he will continue to grow, to seek out companions that are a positive influence in his life, and he is an adult that I am glad and proud to know!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Cap, for letting us know -- great news!

• humbled
    humbled

Your son got the right idea snd stayed with it. Congratulations to you too.

Parents can definitely be the wind beneath the wings.

• cofty
    cofty

That's brilliant. It's really satisfying to see our children enjoy opportunities we were denied.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

MIT is a great school. Congratulations. Trust me, your support is very, very important.

• mentalclarity
    mentalclarity

Wow- MIT-lots of great opportunities for him in the future.

Congrats!

Nice that you were able to socialize with some of the other families - people in general are pretty decent despite what we were told.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

That's brilliant news, congratulations to your son. Good luck for his Masters, my daughter finished hers last September. So good we don't have to deny them an education and a real life isn't it?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Sincere congrats to your son!

• jp1692
    jp1692

Congrats to your son and congrats so you as well!

• Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2

Xanthippe: You got that right! I decided to break the cycle with my kids. I love my parents, but I really feel they held me back, and didn't aggressively pursue higher ed for me like they could have. I could have gotten scholarships, I had the grades to be at the top of my class in High School, but that Witness mentality and that fear of other people's opinions in the congregation pretty much ensured that I would never meet my full potential as a student.
    Ironically, both parents are now inactive, and those "friends" of theirs never call. So, there ya go!

I made it my goal that as long as I had it in my power, I would make sure that both of my sons got the opportunities I never did. Now they both have Bachelor degrees, my oldest lives in China teaching English, and seems to have a real calling for it. His company likes him enough to keep renewing his contract, with raises, so he must be doing something right.

The downside is that we don't get to see them in person as much, and that saddens us at times (I also think that is a reason why most JW parents don't want their kids to get too far from the nest. And why you see so many "clans" of JW's in so many Halls). But, I am so proud of the adults they are becoming!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit