Who determined which Bible books are inspired?

by VM44 26 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Momofmany
    Momofmany

Narkissos,

Thank you very much for your reply. I never knew any of that. It is appreciated. :-)

• A Paduan
    A Paduan
    I have a question here. Why does my Catholic Bible have books that is not in other bibles?

Because since the Catholics put it together, other more 'righteous' people 'knew better'.

Jws are certainly not the first.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Just a fine point, The council of Nicea did not address a Canon. Various councils thu the years touched upon the issue indirectly recognizing certain books as authoritative enuf to refer to, yet the Council of Trent (1546) actually established a Cannon for the Catholic Church. From that time on it was heresey for any Catholic to question or assert differently.

• CharlesTaze
    CharlesTaze

Have you ever read the apocryphal books? (including the apocryphal books of the OT and from the NT)

I have read the apocryphal gospels, and they a marvel compound of myths and legends of Jesus Christ life? It?s a good reading that you must have? So If you read them you will see that compared with the 4 canonical gospels they are more false than the books of the Mormons.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

So Babylon The Great decided which books were included in the canon

• blondie
    blondie
    So Babylon The Great decided which books were included in the canon

Pretty bizarre, still, eh? The WTS hedges that says it was before the council in 327 but what is the point. They say that the apostasy was already in place in 100 AD when John finished his writing. The WTS discounts much of what the early church fathers say as being suspect and definitely not inspired. It boils down to the fact that according to the WTS holy spirit was not operating on these cataloguers. Blondie

• simwitness
    simwitness

ok, I did a little digging and found this,

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mbible5.html

It's a 5 part series that covers the bible, "cover to cover"... I ahve always found thier information to be reasonably well researched and an honest look... part 4 covers the writers of the NT (very interesting) and part 5 is the canonization.

I would be curious as to others opinions of this information, especially PeacefulPetes and others who seem to be very familiar.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit