How old were you when you left?

by somebodylovesme 69 Replies latest jw friends

• somebodylovesme
    somebodylovesme

I only know a handful of Witnesses, but I do know several ex-Witnesses. All of them left in their late teens, which (as I've read here) is pretty common. I know there are a lot of people here who left later in life. So out of curiosity - how old were you when you broke free (became inactive, DF'ed, DA'ed, etc.)?

Have a happy Wednesday.

SLM

Edited to add:
    My hubby was baptised at 11, stopped believing by 16, and was inactive by 20.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Baptized at 9, started having doubts at 34, left at 46. (Okay, so I'm a slow learner! At least I finally wised up and got out!)

Nina

• maxwell
    maxwell

Baptized at 12. Started having more serious doubts at 24, left at 25. Honestly, certain things were unanswered in my mind for years before I was 24, but I always pushed them back.

• Loris
    Loris

Baptized at age 16 left at age 54. I envy those who saw the light at a young age. But any age is ok to escape. Life is good.

Loris

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Baptised at 28, left at 46, but remained isolated after df'ing for another 7 yrs., still believing a lot of the junk, yet knowing they were totally WRONNNNNNNNNNG about the love aspect of worship, and during which time I frequently lambasted the Gov. Potty and their branches with letters describing their scriptural and doctrinal errors in detail, finally tapering off after I found lotsa xdubs online in 1999 and my eyes were opened to the "real mcdeal" about the WT-BATS. Then after a bit, I was able to "let go"....

Frannie B

• Jade
    Jade

Baptized at 16, left at 30. Better late than never.

• shamus
    shamus

In at 18, believed until about 23, left at 24. Never went back, never will. I truly made the lie my own until my depression abated and I saw the real "truth" behind "the lie". It only took me 2 months to figure it out, and I am so happy!

• Sassy
    Sassy

Baptized at 15, doubts at age 44. Actually stopped going before the doubts set in..

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Let's see...baptized at 13 and totally engulfed in their belief system because I didn't want to die at Armageddon. Became disallusioned the older I got, but still thought it was "me". I kept trying to do what I thought was the right thing, but inside I was twisted in emotional knots.

I was 21 when I was df'd for revealing to the brothers on my own, that I had engaged in one act of fornication with a non-JW. I took it all on myself and felt totally unworthy and sinful. I couldn't pray. I hated myself.

I groveled back in by 23 due to emotional blackmail. I was basically considered "weak and inactive", for having married the fellow I had sex with the first time. I also had a baby. Mind you, I really did love my husband. But he was not a JW. There was so much frustration for the next ten years trying to balance living with a non-believer, along with my inner conflictions of the doctrines.

I finally walked away when I was 34. Best thing I ever did for myself.

/<

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

Baptized at 16, left at 34

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit