Reddit Post: Watchtower Appeals to Supreme Court

by APieceOfShitNamedTate 31 Replies latest jw friends

• APieceOfShitNamedTate
    APieceOfShitNamedTate

From John Redwood...

A preview of upcoming news:

Jehovah's Witnesses are appealing to the Supreme Court of the United States, but this time it has nothing to do with preaching or saluting the flag.

It's all about child abuse.

Specifically, the protection (or cover-up) of information, documents, and testimony of persons involved in cases of child abuse.

I will be covering this story in the coming weeks and months, but I thought I would share some of this news and try to distill it down as simply as I can.

I'd like to point out first that Watchower has appealed to the Supreme Court in connection with their loss of yet another California child abuse case. The chance that Watchtower's appeal being will be heard by the Supreme Court is slim, but anything is possible.

What brought this about?

There are many ongoing civil child abuse cases in California. One such case is J.W. versus Watchtower. J.W. happens to be the initials for the victim of former JW elder Gilbert Simental, who went on a spree of molestation which touched the lives of numerous victims.

As with other cases, the plaintiff demanded that Watchtower turn over to the court a database of child abuse cases known to be maintained by Watchtower of New York.

In this particular case, because Watchtower failed to turn over the documents in a timely manner, attorneys asked for a default judgment of just over 4 million dollars.

The court agreed with the plaintiff and entered a default judgment in that amount. Watchtower was required to post a bond of more than 6 million dollars while their appeal was pending.

Watchtower lost their appeal, and the decision of the court was upheld. This decision is final- with one exception.

Watchtower has decided to appeal to the United States Supreme court on the basis that their judicial hearings related to child abuse matters are "confidential intra-faith communications" and that they do not, and should not, reveal those communications or documents to anyone, including civil courts.

I'd like to make it very clear what Watchtower is doing here. They are fighting for their right NOT to allow civil authorities to dictate what is confidential, and what is not confidential.

All of this is in relation to their claim that elders do not have the right or duty to report child abuse to the authorities.

Watchtower overtly lies to their members by claiming that they obey secular laws, except when they conflict with God's laws.

Yet they break the law every single time by advising elders NOT to report child abuse to the authorities.

It does NOT matter whether child abuse occurs in a mandatory reporting state- elders STILL do not report to the police because Watchtower has told them that ALL of their communications are protected by clergy-penitent privilege.

This is false- and it is exactly why they are losing tens of millions of dollars in child abuse civil cases. Watchtower advises elders to break the law.

And now they want the Supreme Court of the United States to agree with them.

The claim that the state of California has unfairly targeted Jehovah's Witnesses and "intruded upon matters of church governance."

Why???

How does compliance with mandatory child abuse reporting laws conflict with God's laws? It doesn't. This is a fabrication of Watchtower attorneys working for the Governing Body, and it's become quite clear that they feel that compliance with these civil laws will spell disaster for their religion.

And they might be right.

If Jehovah's Witnesses did the right thing and complied with the law, they would lose the tight grip of control over their elder bodies in ways which frighten the hell out of them.

There is a whole lot more to this story as well as the underlying cases involved, but I wanted to let you know what's going on.

Attorneys for J.W. (the abuse victim) will be filing an opposition to Watchtower's appeal in August, and we should have a decision from the Supreme Court by October on whether they will accept Jehovah's Witnesses appeal for review.

Stay tuned!!

• cofty
    cofty

Fascinating. I look forward to your updates.

I am not prone to conspiracy theories but you have to wonder why they have chosen to make a stand on this issue. This is NOT a biblical principle that has to be defended.

Somebody is afraid of the facts being revealed. Is it the scale of the problem that they need to keep secret or are there particular names that need to be protected - or both?

• APieceOfShitNamedTate
    APieceOfShitNamedTate
    Thanks Cofty but the info is not from me, it's from John Redwood. I found that post on Reddit. I've been trying to find anything I can on upcoming news because I keep hearing that something big is about to be revealed. Maybe this has something to do with it.
  • smiddy3
    smiddy3

I will be following this with keen interest, thanks for posting it.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS takes a chance now every time they appeal to the US Supreme Court. The group of 9 justices today are not made up people that are likely to support the WTS and in past WTS cases; only perhaps to protect the freedom of religion clause in the Bill of Rights. I wonder how the conservative side of US politics will view this and how these 9 justices will view this.

And just because the WTS files an appeal does not guarantee that the US Supreme Court will decide to put it on the docket to be considered.

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Thanks, A POS Tate for posting. Is John Redwood his real name?

Whoever you are, John Redwood -- we're glad to have you on our side.

Can't wait for October to roll around.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Thanks Tate...a thread like this is like Christmas in July!😊

Looking forward to your updates.

• LV101
    LV101

I hope the 9 Supreme Court Justices protect the children -- all of the cult's adherents from its dangers.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I can see the "conservative" court siding with "religion" (Separation of Church & State) if all the many religious institutions provide "Friends of the Court" briefs supporting the WTS's position.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Is it just me...

...or is anyone else unable to shake the feeling that - at this point - they're either desperate, stupid, deluded...

...or some teetering, toxic, ready-to-boil-over combination of all three?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit