What to do when running in to a JW you know...How is this for a suggestion ?

by stuckinarut2 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Hey all,

So I have recently seen quite a few JWs that were former friends in our community. I am always polite and say hello - although most will not acknowledge me. That's cool.

But it got me thinking about how I can change the dynamics as I say hi.

Remember, we who have woken up have nothing to be ashamed of or embarrassed about, even though the Society tries to imply that we are all unhappy, or ashamed about "leaving Jehovah's organization"

So how about this "Hi ___. lovely to see you. I just want to let you know that if you ever realize the reasons why we left, or find out the truth about the truth, I want to reassure you that you have a safe place with us. Please feel free to contact us for support or help - as we know how disturbing it can be and how alone you may feel. We are here for you"

If said in a sincere and kind manner, it may leave the door open for a further chat ...

Thoughts?

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

This is a good idea Stuck. They are bound to think we hate and reject them if they've previously shunned us but for many of us this isn't the case.

I texted my sister about her health in the last few months so she will have my mobile number just in case she wants to text me about doubts and to make it clear I don't hate her.

The religon paints us as angry and full of hate for those still in but for most of us this isn't true and I like your idea to let our old aqaintances know this. We can be their sanctuary to run to.

• zeb
    zeb

some sisters bumped past me today and all I thought was how big they have become.. as I have said before jw as a group are the unhealthiest of people..

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I do think something along those lines is a great idea Stucky.

I would just add the Caveat that those of us under the Heading of "Faders" who would really like to stay that way, should choose our words with great care, what we say could be reported to the Elders as us trying to drag JW's out of The Lie, (what they call " the truth).

Of course, however carefully we word things, our words can be twisted, misreported and misinterpreted.

Personally I will go ahead and risk it, if they try to DF me or DA me now they may regret stirring up a Hornet's nest of huge proportions.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

I like it, Stuck. Positivity and confidence wins. It jars them to the core (uncomfortable cognitive dissonance), whereas being upset or angry just confirms their prejudice.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

Yeah, I think that's a good way to approach it, treat them with kindness, show them you're enjoying your life, tell um they can enjoy it too.

• La Capra
    La Capra

I say this to younger ones that come to the door-that if they ever need to talk about leaving their religion and are afraid to talk to anyone about it, feel free to ring the bell again and ask for me.

But I never see them out in the neighborhoods anymore, only standing on the sidewalks at the parks and train station. And it's always the ones that are pretty old by now (70s plus).

I won't waste my time on the older ones. Instead I ask them what they think of cost of [insert whatever court ruling went against JWs in the last year that can easily be found on court websites via their smart phones...] and how they feel about their financial contributions paying for it.

• jp1692
    jp1692

I always try to be friendly to still-in JWs when I get the chance, which isn't often.

If asked, I say my life is great never better! (If appropriate, I may mention the one exception is that lack of a meaninful relationship with family that chooses to avoid me, but hey: that's on them, not me.)

Living well is the best revenge! Plus, it makes them jealous.

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

I never play their shunning game!

• minimus
    minimus

I tell them nothing! Let them judge and guess... I will never give them info on my opinion or life. They are not to be trusted

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit