Re: Experienced Attorneys and Paralegals Needed at Bethel

by pixel 67 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

"Please note that we are not encouraging individuals to pursue higher education or university degrees to obtain skills related to legal matters."

Something else just occurred to me regarding this.

These days, the pedo cases are piling up so much and at such a rate, that these volunteers probably wouldn't have time to finish law school.

• Chaserious
    Chaserious
    This call for help could also have the potential benefit to WTS of preventing any JW attorneys who even take up a week-long temporary assignment, as they suggest, from ever acting in a legal capacity in a lawsuit against the WTS, should any of them later leave the organization.  I dont know if this is an intended or unintended consequence, but it may have some value to the org.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Chaserious - "...preventing any JW attorneys...from ever acting in a legal capacity in a lawsuit against the WTS, should any of them later leave the organization."

The attorney/client privilege card, huh?

• Chaserious
    Chaserious
    The attorney/client privilege card, huh?

Technically, its the attorney's duty of confidentiality, which is even broader than attorney-client privilege.  It prohibits attorneys from ever using confidential information and secrets learned in the course of  representation against a former client.  If an attorney tries, the former client can go into court and get the lawyer booted from the case.

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

I think another reason they prefer JW over non-JW lawyers is because they can pressure/intimidate them to do things that a worldly lawyer would refuse to do for ethical or legal reasons. A loyal JW knows that Ceasars laws should never trump what Jehover wants.  Plus they probably don't want non-JWs getting such an up close view of their shenanigans. Wouldn't want to bring reproach on the org.

No Apologies

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Well, from my experience I would say they have pretty slim pickings as far as attorneys.

In my decades of being a witness, I only met one witness attorney, and it was someone already working at bethel as an attorney.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

BOC: In my decades of being a witness, I only met one witness attorney, and it was someone already working at bethel as an attorney.

In my decades of being a witness, I also only met one JW attorney. That guy was a complete idiot. I wouldn't hire him to open my junk mail.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

No Apologies - "I think another reason they prefer JW over non-JW lawyers is because they can pressure/intimidate them to do things that a worldly lawyer would refuse to do for ethical or legal reasons. A loyal JW knows that Ceasars laws should never trump what Jehover wants. Plus they probably don't want non-JWs getting such an up close view of their shenanigans. Wouldn't want to bring reproach on the org."

Wouldn't put it past 'em.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit