When did Watchtower writings start becoming anonymous?

by Wild_Thing 20 Replies latest jw friends

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Ive got an iglasea ni christo brochure with no note of who the authors were.

• Acluetofindtheuser
    Acluetofindtheuser

Russell and or Rutherford could have picked up the idea of writing anonymously from the original author who wrote Angels and Women. I'm not talking about the 1924 revised edition. I'm talking about the original 1878 version which left out any authorship.

The Library of Congress data revealed the original author was Mrs John Gregory Smith, AKA Ann Eliza Smith.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

I have never heard of Angels and Women. Was it a significant book in Russell or Rutherford's time?

Without knowing what the book is about, I will say that I have read about many women writing things and either using a male pseudonym or giving it no authorship at all. That could be a possibility in this case.

• Acluetofindtheuser
    Acluetofindtheuser

I have never heard of Angels and Women. Was it a significant book in Russell or Rutherford's time?

Without knowing what the book is about, I will say that I have read about many women writing things and either using a male pseudonym or giving it no authorship at all. That could be a possibility in this case.

The 1924 revised edition was authorized by Rutherford because they endorsed it in a 1924 Golden Age magazine, which is now called Awake. They renamed the revised version to "Angels and Women" from the original title "Seola".

The original author, Ann Eliza Smith published her other books under her husband's name. This is how her name was shown in authorship to them:

From Dawn to Sunrise - Mrs J.G. Smith (1876)

Seola - Anonymous (1878) - It's written as a diary from an ancient person

Selma - Mrs J. Gregory Smith (1883)

Atla - J.G. Smith (1886)

Notes of Travels - Mrs. J. Gregory Smith (1886)

She gave a special exception to the book, Seola with claiming authorship. The novel mainly reads as a diary and she lets the main character remain the author. The main character's name is Seola, the wife of Japheth.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee
    Angels and Women was not published by the WT. It was endorsed by them in the Golden Age, and reportedly the reprint/ revision of Seola was done by some of the Russell era Bible Students, but the fact remains that it was not published under the Watchtower label.
  • jws
    jws

So if things went to anonymous in the early 40's (75+ years ago), why is the OP asking. Certainly it's been that way most of his life.

I agree with a post above. Without claiming authorship, you can't blame so-and-so. And you can't research their credentials.

On the other hand, I kind of agree with it in theory. Names can be a distraction to the material. People fawning over some works while not bothering with others. Authors themselves become minor celebrities.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

I was asking out of curiosity.

I don't think the Watchtower articles should be anonymous at all. JWs need to know that Joe Schmo is writing their article and "God's organization".

• Acluetofindtheuser
    Acluetofindtheuser
    Angels and Women was not published by the WT. It was endorsed by them in the Golden Age, and reportedly the reprint/ revision of Seola was done by some of the Russell era Bible Students, but the fact remains that it was not published under the Watchtower label.

It might as well have been written under the WT label. The Angels and Women revision has 36 Appendix notes mentioned throughout the novel. All these notes reference publications of the Bible Students to support the passage in the book. The Appendix section quotes the following Bible Student works.

The harp of God

Studies in the scriptures volume I, II, IV, V, VI, VII

Photo-drama of creation

A desirable government

Thankfully the novel does not have a question for each paragraph.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Wild_Thing - "When did Watchtower writings start becoming anonymous?"

When critics started figuring out just how wrong they really were? :smirk:

• vienne
    vienne

Russell wrote semi-anonymously because of Brethren influence. Brethren writers wrote using only initials to avoid self-praise. Christ's praise was what was important. So Russell published his books and tracts without author name. Rutherford abandoned this, and his name appears on almost everything he wrote, except Watch Tower articles which were published anonymously. Golden Age articles have his name. After Rutherford's death the Society returned to Russell's practice. The most recent Society statement on this is in the July 15, 2015, Watchtower. It presents the same reasoning. It avoids praise to humans.

To me this seems somewhat hypocritical. They praise the Governing Body endlessly in ways that seem to me to belong to Christ. Christ gives holy spirit, understanding, supports us in faith and prompts holy works. No ecclesiastical authority does this. BUT, organizations are entitled to their hierarchy. No-one else must accept it.

As an academic, I find this a bit puzzling. I take responsibility for the quality of my work by sticking my name on it. That's what responsible researchers do. By choosing to be anonymous, one avoids responsibility.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit