Wish me good luck...

by FadeToBlack 31 Replies latest jw friends

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Huh. The Witnesses at my mom and dad's hall all went out together last night to see Star Wars on its premier night.

I guess they are in a "social club" congregation.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack
    @GrreatTeacher: I have been in a few of those congregations back when I was in the US. They seem to operate on a different wavelength. All in all, I can't say I was ever in a bad congregation - but that doesn't change the fact that it is a cult.
  • Landy
    Landy
    Get some Mezuzahs screwed to the door frames and don yourself in a kippah - that should wind them up :)
  • FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack
    @Landy: I don't really want to wind anyone up. I just want to be left alone. They are for the most part nice people. I just can't handle them in quantity.
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

As others have said, just be your normal, hospitable, happy and positive self.

Show that you are enjoying a good life, and that your inactivity doesn't mean you are a depressive, lost, wicked person...

As one poster often writes, "the best revenge is to live a happy and successful life"

Take control of the day, ask questions, show interest in their lives, and don't let it become a "sales pitch" occasion for the organisation.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack
    @stuckinarut: you may have hit on a weak spot. I am not normally hospitable, happy or positive. And I am certainly not interested in what they are doing. As opposed to living a happy and successful life, I'm just 'happy' to still be above ground.
  • 2+2=5
    2+2=5
    I will probably start drinking beer after lunch before they arrive.

Better make it hard liquor.

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt
    Wish me good luck... I have the entire service group coming over for dinner on Sunday.

You have my sympathies - and a blessing on you for doing your duty in feigning kingdom interest.

Do it in the spirit of Kwanzaa and you'll feel much better in the end.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    Ugh, sounds dreadful. Entire service group over on Sunday. Best of luck though.
  • FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

Update Summary: it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, but still they had to sing KM songs.

Details: Thery were supposed to come over directly after the meeting (around 1 pm) but 'apparently' some of them felt the need to get in an hour of service first. They started wandering in at around 2:30, a car load at a time. Of course my wife had told me 3, so I hadn't put the dogs away first. Some had obviously gone home instead of service and changed into street clothes.

I invited one young elder to try his hand at archery and off we went. Soon almost everyone was in my backyard launching arrows toward my target (backed by a wall of hay bales). Good I had done my shooting earlier, because after a few demo's I never got another chance. Then we got called in for dinner. It was a beautiful afternoon for this time of the year in Poland. 50F, no wind, sunny.

Dinner went fine (around 15 total, 2 elders, 1 pioneer). Lots of busy chit-chat. Then when we were done with desert, it was time for some singing! Out came all the iPads, and out I went to the yard. They must have done 10-20 songs, some more than once. I popped in and out (Barking dogs are a great excuse to go check on things), took a brief rest in the bedroom. And finally, they left.

Everyone was polite and gracious. Nobody tried to pidgeon-hole me for a one-on-one. My wife was happy that I helped out so much getting ready for the event. So, I survived. I think the key was she has already made it clear that I have some type of phobia being around large (more than 3 or 4) groups of people. So far it is working.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit