I really don't know anything.

by ihatescreennames 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• ihatescreennames
    ihatescreennames

Last night I wallked through a suburbia neighborhood. I sat for a time, crosslegged, on cement pebbles.

There was a teenage girl twirling her baby sister around and around and around the lawn. I smiled huge. They saw me and smiled at me, huge smiles, twirly body, falling on the green winter grass. I could hear thier giggles to the end of the block.

I couldn't stop smiling all the way to Wal-Mart.

My heart is aching with contradictions. Life is so simple. A child's game multiplied by a billion. Letters instead of numbers in the equations. Variables.

I want to be honest with you. All of you.

I've said it before on this blog, but I haven't said it recently. I wasn't raised Jehovah's Witness. I was raised Seventh-day Adventist. My great-grandfather was best friends with Russell, however. He helped found the JW religion. This great-grandfather was a carpenter and in my home growing up there was an old desk, well made with a marble top, decorated with the Star of David in honor of JW's. I recently sold this desk at a pawn shop for a fraction of it's worth.

Going through old letters we found letters from Russell to my great-grandfather. They were thrown out eventually or given to Mormon genealogical centers who gulped them in one satisfied swallow.

As for the Seventh-day Adventist culture, I am a fourth generation Adventist on both sides. My father was head-elder of our church, Pathfinder leader, newspaper editor, organ player, announcer, on the church and school board, Social President, and Youth Leader. My mother was deaconness, counselor and teacher in Pathfinders, assistant newspaper editor, Potluck organizer, Social Chairman, head of the school board for 8 years, and Cradle Roll Leader.

To top it off, we were quite wealthy and likely one of two top intelligent families in the church. People came to us with thier problems and we mediated them.

I had quite a track record as well, which is to be expected. I hosted a fundraiser each month to raise money for homeless people. I was spiritual vice-president of my class for several years and knew more about Josephus, the Gnostic Gospels, and the Bible itself then most adults in the church, though not many people knew this since I was reserved about my knowledge as female children are supposed to be. I went on several mission trips and had the ultimate goal of starting an orphanage in Brazil and India. I went door to door spreading the good news, and had a high success rate due to my sincere passion and ability to not shove religion down people's throats.

Please note my shame about my residual pride in sharing this with you. This is what I was talking about. Variables can be contradictive (high success rate = pride = shame). It makes sense in a whole, but separated is meaningless, a child's scribbling. (high success rate = shame= incorrect).

For instance, last night I was frightened to sleep alone in a strange house without my boyfriend, so I stayed up all night waiting for him to come home. When asked what I was afraid of I had to respond: well, cumulatively, everything. Apart, Nothing.

He responded: Well, that is natural I suppose. Especially at night.

But I am trailing off the subject. I was going to tell you about my fall from grace in the Seventh-day Adventist church and how this has affected my entire life. Also, about how my absolutes in terms of morality and belief are sanded down by the winds of variability and simply knowing I know very little.

I drifted too far and I'm content to finish this post tonight.

Until then,

Michelle

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I sahll await your follow up post with interest

• Aztec
    Aztec

Wow! To be honest, I think you're far ahead of the game. Most of take a few more years to realize how little we know. I hear it only gets worse as you get older.

I look forward to reading the rest.

~Aztec

• shamus
    shamus

Simple things are the best. When it involves kids and laughter, what more could you want?

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

I'll be watching this thread with interest Michelle.

You, and your family history, sound fascinating

Best,

Paul

• amac
    amac

Sounds interesting.

• one_ugly_time
    one_ugly_time

I don't know if it is normal, since I don't know what normal is, but I believe that most individuals don't even begin to process the dichotomous and opposing feelings until near mid-life. Integration of an individuals polar forces is one of the basic principles of wisdom. Love/Hate, Passion/Repulsion, Obsession/Apathy, and so on, continue to plague the human spirit; especially during the phases of life concerned with discovering for oneself their individuality, resources, and sense of "Who am I".

Based upon how I read what you have written, your ability to express, dissemenate, and segregate your feelings both objectively and subjectively is very well developed -- you are a well studied individual with a rare talent of the true understanding of life. It does come down to the little things, the smiles on childrens faces, the playful and innocent, yet sincere, responses from loving family and friends, and the ability to reach others in a compassionate manner; all the while letting them in to your life without judgement or criticism.

The intellectualizing and analysis of these events precedes the synthesis and integration into your being. A "whole" individual retains all aspects of these individual internal aspects; however; I will leave you with this saying that I copied from another board that I find applicable to sustaining growth and respect for the process --

"The Wolf......"

An Elder Cherokee was teaching his grandchildren about life. He said to them, " A fight is going on inside of me....it is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves.

One wolf represents fear, anger, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self piry, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.

The other stands for joy, peace, love, hope, sharing serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, friendship, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith.

This same fight is going on inside you, and inside every other person, too.

"They thought about it and than one child asked his grandfather, "Which wolf will win??"

The old Cherokee simply replied... "The one you feed"

I, too, look forward to reading more of your story.

ugly

• Aztec
    Aztec

Here's a quote I like:

?No one ultimately knows what they?re saying anyway. Are we really making art? Art doesn?t belong to us. It doesn?t belong to people, it belongs to the universe. It comes FROM the universe. It comes THROUGH us. When I write something, I think I know what I?m saying, but I never pretend to know the full meaning of the words.?

Just thought it was interesting.

~Aztec

• Valis
    Valis

Well I hatescreennames or whoever you are you have a terribly original avatar. Maybe I am skeptical about people w/such backgrounds who post here, and if I am wrong I wil apologize. Yes do tell more of your story and how you relate to us, cuz I almost agree w/Sixofnine and think you are not what you seem. Cut with the fiction and stop using other people's avatars that they aren't even using now and you wouldn't even have seen if you hadn't been around a while. Sic, you have been around a while you know better than to use other people's avatars. Get your own, it is easy enough.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• ihatescreennames
    ihatescreennames

I am tired and don't want to finish tonight.

I will make some responses to Valis since, if I'm correct, he runs this site, and some response is deserving for how much time he has vested in this.

My boyfriend used to post in here. I know kes152, as well. I know of AGuest. Since it was that section of this site who invited me. a.) I deeply respect Aaron. b.) I am a very confused, unknowledgeable person and don't not believe or believe in any thing they believe in general.

I also have had extensive experiences with JW's, mostly ex-JW's. I don't want to post exactly where I live and full name and such for privacy reasons and I haven't a clue how to send Private Messages or what avator means. I'm blog illiterate.

I own a little online book business. I spend alot of time writing and reading.

I will finish this. Maybe tonight. I am thinking.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit