Is this true?!!! No way!!!

by Doubtfully Yours 24 Replies latest social family

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Actually where I live, people don't have a problem with JWs going to college like they use to and it seems to be quite acceptable.

That's true in the cong. that I occasionally attend also. I think in the last 10 years of so, the stigma of college has all but disappeared, as long as you can attend classes but still live at home. Even at a circuit assembly a couple of years ago, I recall the CO mentioning that those that choose higher education should discuss it with their parents to make sure that the education will help the person support him or herself later down the road and to avoid courses that could harm one spiritually.

To think of it, I think just about every 18 to 20 year old in our cong. is in college or some tech school. Having just a high school diploma in many cities is virtually worthless when looking for a job.

***** Rub a Dub

• Stefanie
    Stefanie

"From now on, I'll probably just contribute $10 or less for our local cong; and this only because I'm being considerate for the time that I still go and know that the utility bills have to get paid."

Actually DY, I heard of even that being misused. Your money would be better spent toward a charity you can trust.

• wednesday
    wednesday

I'm sure all of us who were told to perhaps not even go to HS, be home schooled, and certainly not go to college, and trade school was suspect, well we all just feel all warm and fuzzy that we got the royal shaft. so many of us could have had careers, and now we are facing retirement and living off social security.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL??
    Really, it is appropriate for them to pay for them to go to college so they can have their own homegrown lawyers.

If they are good JWs and put their time in at Bethel for the crappy pay, I say good for them! At least they will have something good to fall back on if they leave, whether as a JW or not.

I am actually amused that anyone would be surprised by this. The official view of education has changed so much over the past 5 to 10 years at the WTS. I, for one, am all for the WTS providing useful training to all their bethelites so that when they leave, either as a JW or not, that they can be productive members of society, and not have to rely on their table setting and mopping skills.

• ignored_one
    ignored_one
    Naturally, most on this board will agree with you...but a "good" JW can easily explain that away. Sure, it's OK to go to college, as long as you are going to use your skills in full-time service to Jah just as these Lawyers are doing. Actually where I live, people don't have a problem with JWs going to college like they use to and it seems to be quite acceptable.

A good comeback to that would be "i didn't realise full time service also included trying to silence JW abuse survivors then?"

-

Ignored One.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit