"You Should Be Loyal To The Organization Because It Taught You God's Name"

by minimus 27 Replies latest jw friends

• shera
    shera

I guess the WTS should be all nice and loyal to the catholic Monk who was the original founder of the name Jehovah.

• Sargon
    Sargon
    If god was that intent on having his name known and spread.......would not he have given us the proper pronunciation?

Gumby

Also would he have not given it earlier in history too? It seems it took him nearly 1,000 years to decide his name wasn't I am what I am (or whatever).

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

What I find funny is that JWs think that they are the only ones to use the term Jehovah and that's not true. Other religions do use it. I've heard it in sermons and music all the time at different churches!

Another point: My JW parents think it disrespectful of me to call God "God". That it is more personal to call him "Jehovah". When in fact, I call God "Father" because to me you can't get much more personal than that!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I read the King James well before becoming a JW and I knew that Jehovah was the name used for God in some instances -- so they even falsely claim credit for the name now eh? Whatever next?

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Actually, it was the use of Jehovah's name that convinced me that "we" had the truth back when I was trying to decide whether to get reinstated. I read the Divine Name brochure, and I was sure that JW's had the only true religion, even if it wasn't such a happy place to be.

So, this point nagged me when I (recently) came to the conclusion that the ORG could not possibly be God's Organization...until I acquired the Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the Christian Greek Scriptures from Randy Watters, looked up the name Jehovah- and it's not there, just like I had read it wasn't. Even the Society tells partial truth about it, saying they restored the name WHERE IT WAS AN OBVIOUS QUOTE FROM THE HEBREW SCRIPTURES IN WHICH JEHOVAH'S NAME WAS USED. But they added it some 237 times, not all quotes at all, and left out the occasional use of the name Jehovah instead of Lord when it would make it seem that Jesus is to be worshipped. And when I learned that there isn't one single manuscript out of all the 1000's in existence of the Christian Greek Scriptures that contains the name Jehovah, I could think of nothing but Revelation 22:18, 19!!!

That was the very last ounce of doubt I had that maybe I was making a mistake about leaving the Watchtower.

Thanks for the opportunity to express that milestone in my recovery, MINIMUS!

• minimus
    minimus

Seeit, Isn't it something how the Watchtower will LIE and say that the name "Jehovah" was in the "Christian Greek Scriptures" 237 times? They just make things up as they go along.

• nowisee
    nowisee

this thread is a good reason to mention "in search of christian freedom" by ray franz, which thoroughly addresses this issue. i am only 200 pages from the end (730 page book) and it is excellent. the chapter entitled "a people for his name" clearly exposes the nwt's bias, or at worst deliberate distortion.

• minimus
    minimus

Nowisee----You're right. That was a GREAT book!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit