Anyone here ever been homeless?

by maybesbabies 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies

I am curious, our family was homeless on and off for several years. I am trying to communicate to my little brother that growing up this way does not preclude one from a normal life. Is anyone willing to share a story that I can pass on to him???

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I am sending you a PM about this. = )

• U.2.K. Tha Greate$t
    U.2.K. Tha Greate$t

Yes & No. And that's all you need to know.

• Valis
    Valis

yup. Lived from place to place for a long time, in the park right before I was getting ready to go to school, on the road. It isn't fun all the time and is very taxing on the body and the olde brain. Especially when you don't get enough to eat.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies

Thank you for the PM, FlyingHighNow! Thanks for the response Valis! U2K tha greatest, not quite what I was looking for, but ok!

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Just for a few months after I was disfellowshipped (since I had been several years in Bethel and a few months after that pioneering, accommodated in a JW's family Parisian flat). Quite an experience, but I didn't care too much since I had no family at that time.

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Growing up, I had a "nomadic" family-not technically homeless, but we lived in a bus for a while. When I escaped from my stepfather at the age of 15, I crashed on people's couches and in spare rooms until I finally got my own place. So again, I was not on the street with no shelter, but still semi-homeless. It's made me extremely territorial, in that I love my home fiercely and really don't like having people inside touching things. But certainly I am normal, and it's possible to overcome lots of childhood weirdness and be a perfectly fine adult. People have gone through LOTS worse than I have and come out smiling.

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies

Thank you, Narkissos and Insomniac!

Growing up, I had a "nomadic" family-not technically homeless

We were in similar situations at times, ie: tents, a tent trailer once, living with other people. To me, it all counts, as you don't actually have a place where you feel safe and comfortable.

When I escaped from my stepfather at the age of 15, I crashed on people's couches and in spare rooms until I finally got my own place.

Wow, we have quite a lot in common!!! I was abandoned in California by my father at the same age, and did the same thing!!!

Thank you all, this really is helping!!!!

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Yep....down and out in California and Texas....temporarily disabled, unable to work, no transportation, living in shelters....

Now, I'm living in a house, plenty of work and own a 2 yr old car.

Frannie B

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

I was briefly a couple of times, MB. Sleeping in my car for a while; luckily it was a full-size 78 Dodge sedan and not a compact but even so....

The other time I was "kinda" homeless. Working a crappy convenience store night shift job with only an old motorcycle for transportation (yes it was wintertime and yes it rained a lot) and a friend of mine let me crash at his apartment. Thing is, the only space available was in his utility room so I slept on the floor in there next to the water heater.

Being without a place to live, not being sure when you'll get your next meal, being truly poor, that can be a good experience if you learn from it. It can make you more determined to succeed and never go back there.

Mike.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit