Unsolicited Advice

by pettygrudger 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Sassy
    Sassy

I can relate to your situation. I have had friends who seemed to need more direction and yet sometimes as much as they needed it, sometimes didn't want to take it. I learned to, for the most part, let them do what they wanted to do. If it was really important, I might have voiced my opinion once, so I at least got it off my chest, but I let it go if they didn't take it.

When I made one of the biggest mistakes of my life (marrying my last husband) there were friends who wanted to be happy for me but were concerned none the less. I got the "are you sure you want to do this", "are you sure he is for real?" and as it turns out their concerns were valid and turned out to be true. But I respected that they let me go ahead and make my own mistake even if it was a big one. One friend actually was so upset about me marrying him that she literally got so mad I didn't listen to her that we didn't talk for a long time. I respect the friends even now after realizing it was a mistake more who let me make my mistake after only asking me if I was sure, than the person who tried to force me to do it her way.

Although I lost all them in the end any way when I stopped being a JW.. go figure..

guess I didn't follow their advice!

• Piph
    Piph

Yeah...I have a real allergic reaction to unsolicited advice. ;-)

I think it's from the way I grew up...I didn't believe in myself, and of course the JWs teach you not to trust yourself and to live in fear, so I *always* asked for advice on *everything* and if anyone offered *any* advice I would take it because I assumed they knew better than me.

Now, there are some areas that I really don't want to screw up and if someone says something I need to hear, that's OK. But since I started healing emotionally, I realized how important it is for me to take my own risks and learn from them. These days I feel like a two year old and I want to scream NO! and MINE! all the time because I never got to do that as a two year old or as a teenager...two very important rebellious stages in a person's life. I never learned about boundaries...

OK, I'm having a personal revelation here...ttyl! ;-)

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Are you asking or telling?

• Maverick
    Maverick

Sassy was bang on on this point! I will often ask," Are you sure you want to do this?" If they go on and on why they should, I know that they are trying to convince THEMSELVES and not me. So I back off.

In management there is a saying, "Just cause someone throws you the ball, dosen't mean you HAVE to catch it!" Often people will try to draw us into their problems, we take them on and then get we get blamed when it does not make the person happy.

I have found that some people are non-functioning adults, I called them "Calamity Janes". The world they live in is a mess, but many live to a ripe old age inspite of everyones else's best intentions! Maverick

• obiwan
    obiwan

I've always felt that you should have your own issues taken care of, before you start fixing other peoples issues. If this person were a true friend, they would at the very least realize how concerned a friend you really are, especially if they are turning to you when things are tuff.

Sometimes unfortunately, a person needs to realize when they may need to consider that person a lost cause, and let them stumble along the way, no matter how difficult it may be for you.

If you try to fix the world, you'll drive yourself nuts doing it.

I know the things you have on your plate hun. I think you'll find that you and your family will be much happier if you concentrate your life on them.

And, don't forget the ones who truely appreciate you.

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

It can be difficult to not offer advice but I know I don't appreciate unsolicited advice so I keep my mouth shut and it's hard at times. I have a friend that makes one lousy choice after another. Once I asked her if she'd like some advice from me and she said no, so no means no.

• crinklestein
    crinklestein

I can't stand it when people I know make bad decisions and make them knowing they are bad. My fiance is like that and her father is like that. Runs in the fam. Anyway, I recognize the fact that they are adults and can make decisions on their own. But I when there's a problem I will tell them what I think should be done and then I drop it. All I can do is give my advice and tell them what I would do in that situation. But I don't make them do anything and I don't say anything more on the matter. If they choose to ignore me and either make a bad choice or choose to do nothing then that's their choice and they have nothing to complain about. I find it hard to feel sorry for or be simpathetic towards someone who complains about a situation they're in when they ignore every piece of good advice given to them. I just say, "Yeah, that sucks. That's why I told you that you should do this. But you didn't. Live and learn I guess."

It's like women that stay in abusive relationships because "they love him". Well, if you love him then I don't wanna hear one complaint about that black eye he gave you. I don't wanna see one single tear trickling down your face. I wanna see a big ole happy smile on that battered face because you obviously like it when he beats you...otherwise you'd leave. I don't feel sorry for them one bit.

My fiance is owed several weeks of bonus money that her boss still hasn't sent in. I told her the first week, "Tell him that you need the money in the next check. If he doesn't submit it then tell his boss, the Distric Manager, that he isn't doing his job and that you need your money." What does she do? Nothing. Then payday comes around and she's complaining that she didn't get her bonus. I just said, "Of course you didn't. Because you didn't do what I suggested. What did you expect?" She still hasn't gotten it. I think she does these things because she likes to have things to complain about but I just brush it off because she does these things KNOWING FULL WELL what the outcome will be. So she has nothing to complain about.

Her dad waited until about a week before he was DEAD before he went to the hospital for congestive heart failure. He had been suffering for about 8 months with it, and I mean suffering! We both kept telling him, "You need to go to the hospital." And he would just say, "Yeah yeah...I probably should..." and he doesn't. I just told my fiance to just let him suffer then. It must not be too bad or he would go to the doctor. He must like it I guess.

I'm sorry if I sound like a prick but I am a logical thinking person and if someone KNOWS what they should do to solve their problem and WILLING and CONSCIOUSLY chooses ON THEIR OWN to not do anything about it then they have nothing to complain about and they have no one to blame but themselves and I'll be damned if I'm going to waste my time feeling sorry for them. I will love them and I will advice them what should be done but it is their life to live and their choices to make. Like the old man said in the movie Jurrasic Park, "I don't blame people for their mistakes but I do ask that they pay for them."

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

Very interesting - lots of good points to consider.

Sloan - love your new avatar!

• SLOAN
    SLOAN

Thanks Rhonda. All I see is my same ol' Kitty Kat. I tried changing it to the one you are seeing I guess. (weird)

• Aztec
    Aztec

Sloan, hit Refresh. That should help. I like the new pic too!

IMO, a real friend offers advice. Maybe it's just weird of me but, I want everyone around me to be happy and whether or not I am correct I always try to help. I don't do it to try and be everyone's mom I swear! I never mind people offering advice to me and I don't understand why anyone would mind receiving it. Honestly. Oh well, just more proof that I'm a misfit eh?

~Aztec

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit