Incorrect to use the term "Jehovah's Witne...

by TR 28 Replies latest jw friends

• TR
    TR

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but it gives me the willies(BRRRRRR!) to say the...JW words. Since I don't believe they are God's witnesses, then I can't say the words. Maybe, "those who think they are Jehovah's Witnesses" or, "the religious nuts who think they are JW's", or "The Zombified Kult That Klaims To Be God's People". Just how does one refer to "them" without accidentaly saying that they are God's witnesses?

TR

"Kults Suk"

• Mommie Dark
    Mommie Dark

Tower drones?

• Prisca
    Prisca

I know what you're saying TR.

Although I don't have any suggestions for you, it does remind me of when they told us not to refer to ourselves as "a Jehovah's Witness". That was too much of a noun, whereas "one of Jehovah's Witnesses" was the preferred (by the GB anyway) way of describing ourselves/themselves.

• Francois
    Francois

I like using the common mis-naming convention used by the general public: "He's a Jehovah Witness." And I try always to include, "fastest growin' religion in Christendom." They always hate that.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I think that was "one of Jehovah's witnesses".

See the subtle difference?

Cheers,
    Ozzie

Freedom is not having to wear a tie.

• logical
    logical

Hope AGuest doesnt mind me quoting her post...

8. And it puts under COMPULSION (try to speak your mind, try to have an opinion, try to make a statement different from what they teach, try to worship God on your own, in spirit and in Truth and not through them...), the 'small' (widows, orphans and poor), and the 'great' (doctors, lawyers, business men, diplomats, politicians...), that they should give these a MARK in their right hand or upon their forehead: "I am a JEHOVAH'S WITNESS", not "I am a 'christian' by means of an anointing with holy spirit and thereby a member of the Body of Christ ONLY..."

They even compel them to answer 'YES!' to the question of whether such ones KNOW that they are being baptized... INTO THE 'CHRISTIAN' CONGREGATION OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES... and not 'into the Christ'.

9. And they DO this so that nobody can 'buy or sell except a person HAVING the mark, the name of the wild beast... OR the number of its name. The 'mark'... is baptism into that organization. The 'name' is 'Jehovah's Witness'. The NUMBER... is 144,000. If you DON'T have these three right, then you CANNOT 'buy or sell' with them... to TO them. You cannot have free access to all of their publications, you cannot speak freely at their meetings, and you cannot participate freely in their activities. THEY are the ones who decide if you are 'of their sort', one of them, and grant you 'authority' to 'buy and sell'.

Besides... who else, except Jesus, can truly call themselves witnesses of God?
  • thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

OMG, the other day I have to confess. It just slipped out, I called them Jehovah's to Thinker. We just cracked up!!
    TW

• philo
    philo

: I can't say the words

I don't know if its still true, but does anyone remember a time when Dabogus Hitlisters (copyright) themselves found it hard to spit their name out too? From door-door the advice was "try to avoid saying who you are, to avoid prejudice". The idea was that people would think these callers were just concerned neighbours sharing a bible verse (which they had encountered at the kitchen table with their 2.2 children across in the suburbs.) In other words, "Oh we're just regular (pioneers) errr people". If asked who you were, you could say your name, or your secular job title, or your social security number, or your inside leg measurement, or even I'm a Christian! anything but answer the question and say "I'm a Jehovah's Witness"

Of course there was an excellent justification for this tactic - there always is - it probably went something like: While JWs are never ashamed to speak Jehovah's name…(fast forward to conclusion)…let's keep it hushed door-door.

Anyway, it was a bit strange back then (about 1989) standing at the KH singing We're Jehovah's Witnesses, We speak out in fearlessness, when we didn't.

philo

• Mulan
    Mulan

This reminds me of a friend of ours who spent most of his adult life at Bethel........which means "House of God". He refuses to say the word 'Bethel' now, in reference to that place in Brooklyn. He now calls it "the former place of residence" because he says "in no way is that place, the House of God."

• TR
    TR

Hey logical,

Interesting. I've never heard that idea about the mark, buying and selling etc., applied to Jehoagie's Schmitnesses before. Hmmmm...

"Kults Suk"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit