Search for meaning to life?

by Amazing 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Amazing
    Amazing

Something recently occurred to me that many people, whether former JWs or others who faced hardships in life, often look for meaning to life ... specifically a special meaning to their own lives ... I have done that at times, before I became a JW, while a JW, and more so since I left the religion.

I was having a conversation recently with my oldest son who is now 29 years old. We discussed the meaning to life and how he sees himself now - in his ex-JW years - given that he was raised a JW. He made the following comment I thought some here may find insightful. He said:

"Dad, I stopped searching for meaning to life years ago. Rather, I have found great satisfaction in creating my own meaning to life."

Fascinating view he has developed. One that I think I am adopting. - Jim Whitney

• seven006
    seven006

Jim,

Isn't it great when our kids get old enough to start teaching us back? You got a sharp son.

Take care,

Dave

• Mystery
    Mystery

Impressive reply from your son.

Also something some of us may need to reflect on.

• outbutnotdown
    outbutnotdown

Thanks for the quote, Jim. I have been going through some rough stuff recently with my ex-wife and her JW family, which has caused me to question that same thing.... the meaning of life. Sounds like I need to forget about finding it and take a more proactive role in CREATING my own as well. Thanks again,

Brad

• bebu
    bebu

I don't look for the meaning any more. I am content to let God give my life meaning, mostly because I believe He values me.

bebu

• alias
    alias
    I have found great satisfaction in creating my own meaning to life

Cool!

• pc
    pc

I agree with Bebu completely. Life is great! Go out and find your own greatness. That's what I keep telling my staunch JW dad. God gave us this earth to enjoy it. He always trys to show me all the bad stuff and I go right back with all the excellent stuff. Remember how everyone was so "evil". Since losing my guilt and really getting invloved with people, and life, I have found some really remarkable human beings. I'm sure alot of those people are right here on this board. Eveyone have a great fantastic day!!!Bye for now PC

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

I have found two things about life:

1. Life is a meaningless nightmare of suffering.

2. The only absolute knowledge attainable by man is that life is meaningless--Leo Tolstoy

Thus I do not fret and worry about many things. I do not own a lot of things, I do not want a lot of things, I have no ambitions about being a big shot on my job, and I'm content with a roof over my head, some food in the fridge and a bottle of cognac in tha cabinet.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi forty horney,

Tolstoy had fascinating things to say that connect with many people ... too bad he so often dwelled on the negative to such an extent. Likely his culture and experiences led him in that direction.

You noted for yourself,

Thus I do not fret and worry about many things. I do not own a lot of things, I do not want a lot of things, I have no ambitions about being a big shot on my job, and I'm content with a roof over my head, some food in the fridge and a bottle of cognac in tha cabinet. Thus I do not fret and worry about many things. I do not own a lot of things, I do not want a lot of things, I have no ambitions about being a big shot on my job, and I'm content with a roof over my head, some food in the fridge and a bottle of cognac in tha cabinet.

To each his own. I certainly relate to simple straightforward goals and activities. I wish more people could be happy with what they have. On the other hand, much of what we have is attributable to those who were not content to follow the well worn road, but chose to blaze a new trail, and make a path for others to follow. I like to following simple quote:

"Wherever you go, there you are."

Life is a series of choices that get us to where we are at and remain. The power is in our hands to make a difference, to make new and different choices, to change.

I too am content with myself whether rich or poor ... but I am not content to choose poverty. I am simply able to accept it as a temporary condition.

I am content with my professional station, even doing mundane work as needed, but I am not content to willingly remain glued to bordom and stagnation simply for a paycheck.

I am secure in myself and in trusted relationships, but I am not content to take them for granted ... to keep good relationships takes constant work and never really being content.

I have learned to be happy for the present in my comfort zone, but I am not afraid to get outside that zone, to think outside the box and create new things, new meaning, and new levels of contentment.

The paradox is that life is both a joy and a struggle, a blessing and a malediction. I do not understand why we must face these dual conditions. But I do understand that these things do not make me or control me ... rather ... I am content with who I am ... a person who is whole and independant of anything around me.

But, having said all that ... if I strike it filthy rich or gain great power, then it must have been God's will ... just kidding. But were great wealth or power to find its way to my door, or I find my way to its door ... then so be it ... either way, what I do with that wealth or power will be a new and interesting set of choices ahead of me, all of which will not necessarily make for contentment or happiness ... but have the potential to allow me to do something more, something different, something good, and something meaningful.

Jim Whitney

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

I've often said, I'm content. Only you have the will and power to make things happen for yourself. The question is, are you willing to reach out and make things happen? Playing professional sports gives you a different outlook in life and it has for me. I cannot describe it for you to understand, you have to experience it.

The words of the late Will Rogers are forever etched in my mind, "The more I travel, (the more I meet people) the more I realize, how little I know."

Guest 77

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit