How far to bend over backwards??????????

by concerned mama 24 Replies latest jw friends

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Hi Shamus, Happy New Year! How is the skiing up there?

Ascot, no drunks at our party, at least not likely, and anyone who smokes goes outside to do so. A JW would be comfortable, if they wanted to be. It is up to her.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    We do discourage employees getting drunk because it just leads to complications and problems. You see, we are such a moderate, nice group that a JW would be quite safe and comfortable with us.....which is exactly why the Watchtower forbids it.

Great point! Of course JWs can't hang with the good worldly people...it would show them that the WTS is wrong about how deeminized we are! But don't give up on her. It was my worldly friends that made me realize there WAS love out there in the world and that it made the "brotherly love" in the Kingdom Halls walls pale in comparison. You could be "un" witnessing to her by your kindness!

I'll be checking my email tonight! Thanks for writing!

Andi

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    We do discourage employees getting drunk

And should anyone get stupid drunk, we will be forced to take compromising photographs of you for publishing in the company news letter.

• jgnat
    jgnat
    One of the other partners feels that we should make her a special invitation calling it a "Winter Gathering".

I wouldn't bother.

You can only bend so far, Concerned Mama, and if she has put it in her mind that this is a forbidden event (even if she goes beyond what is written) nothing you say can budge her.

There is also danger that if you do manage to convince her to come, a single "bad" experience can put them off forever. That is what happened to my JW employee.

My supervisor did her best to convince a JW to attend our yearly party, explaining it is more of a celebration of what the team accomplished than a celebration of Christmas. She managed to convince the employee to attend. Unfortunately, there were many Christmas-themed decorations in evidence, and a co-worker invited this JW to pull a Christmas cracker with her.

The following year, my supervisor received a long-winded speech from this girl on how she was "tricked" in to attending the last one, how it made her very uncomfortable, and how not attending this year would make the rest of the employees less uncomfortable. Yeah. OK. Right.

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Andi, you have mail!

Elsewhere, yeah, that is why I write the newsletter. I knew there was a good reason. Oh, yup,and I will bring my new camera too.

Jgnat, I wish I knew this person well enough to know her feelings. Perhaps by the summer golf tournament we will have a better feel about what we can to to make her most comfortable. Till then, we will treat her like any other good employee and see what happens.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit