Children should feel free to.....

by biblexaminer 15 Replies latest jw friends

• biblexaminer
    biblexaminer

That's the contradiction in a nutshell.

On the one hand, when they want to make him do something like getting assimilated by the Borg, "he's old enough", but when it comes to making the decision NOT to be Borged, well suddenly he's NOT old enough.

I bet this poor kid is confused. Hopefully, he will not have to suffer Borgdom for the rest of his life.

• logical
    logical

Children should be seen and not heard

• biblexaminer
    biblexaminer

Do you say this sarcastically? I grew up through that 'era' of nonsense. I suffered too. But at least my dad didn't fill me full 'o Watchtower crap. He even talked me outa going to the slave's hotel (bethel).

• DB
    DB

Yes, it is a contradiction. Putting pressure on young teens to get baptized, then saying they are not old enough to decide on their own about going to meetings. Also, as some others on this thread have mentioned, why pressure them to make such a big decision as baptism so early on, when on the other hand we tell them (and rightly so, in some cases) to put off marriage, driving a car, etc. Or, the laws of the land prohibit certain things (voting, driving, marriage, sex, etc) to those not deemed old enough, yet jw kids are pressured to get baptized so early on in life. And when a teen gets to be close to 18, 19, 20, without getting baptized, other Witnesses become critical of them and their parents, wondering what is wrong, or saying (and I have heard this) "it's about time!" when an older kid does get baptized.

• poohbear1962
    poohbear1962

Hey, I had a "blinding flash of the obvious"... it seems to me that Jesus was 30 YEARS OLD before he was baptised... and, if I reacll, isn't he our "Exemplar"?!??! ;-)

Pooh

• biblexaminer
    biblexaminer

Baptised early means that the hooks are in early. Once baptised, the threat of shunning can be used to keep the youth on the 'watchtower path'. They realise quickly that if they step out of line, their own family will reject them, and that's tough if your a young Dub living, most likely, at home. You could be totally ruined if you speak up.

Once you are baptised, you sit down, and stop rocking the boat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit