Differences between UK and US Corona Virus TV Updates

by ThomasCovenant 32 Replies latest jw friends

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

I'm in the UK, and most days over the last 2 weeks I've watched the 5pm UK government update on the corona virus situation which includes questions from the media.

Generally speaking I've found the whole update, including the questions and answers, to be respectful, informative and non combative, with, to the best of my recollection, very little mention of politics and blame. Certainly no political point scoring.

After watching it I feel as if some progress is being made against a contagious virus that is harming our country.

Last night I watched, for the first time, the US equivalent. Apart from being told what an absolutely brilliant job the government is doing, the thing that I took away from it is that there are two political parties in the US that seem to be at loggerheads over the corona virus and there is a lot of blame to be apportioned.

After watching it, I feel that the virus is not as important as the politics and not as important as who is to blame for this that and the other.

Was this how all the US TV updates are or was this a one off?

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I agree. It seems to me that here in the U.S., rather than being interested in what progress is being made, reporters are more interested in finding someone to blame and point a finger at and in badgering the President or others into saying something that they can sensationalize.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Politicans and the media seem to be locked into a race to see you can be the least liked group in the US. They've beaten lawyers and used car salespeople.

• LoyalLeon
    LoyalLeon

not liking either governmanet i have to admit that the British side seems to have understood what is going on (at last since the PM is in ICU himself), while the clown heading the US government is still not grasping what common sense dictates in situations like these

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

I watched some USA tv, couldn’t believe how much each side of politics were still ripping into each other and looking to score points.

Even more alarming was the attitude toward the virus only days and weeks ago by many elected officials, some of the leaders in the US are beyond embarrassing

• silentbuddha
    silentbuddha

I hate to say this but CNN seems like a wing of the Russian propaganda machine.

It's clear you dont like Trump, fine. But fir god sake we are in the midst of a fucking pandemic, why do you need to try to bash this man and ask questions that are of no benefit other than to make people angry with him.

When the CDC said death toll will be Lower, and closer to the administration's projections, Anderson Cooper seemed disappointed. Like wtf

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I’m no Trump supporter but I respect him enormously for being the only one with the guts to hold the Chinese govt feet to the fire. The WHO management need sacking forthwith.

Hoping Boris gets better soon. We are all feeling awful about this.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

SILENTBUDDA & DIOGENESISTER:

There is always somebody that attempts to start an anti-Trump thread and they are using the virus to further criticize him. I’m sick of it.

I totally agree with you that the man is doing the best he can with his panel of experts and advisors and I have No regard for the useless, leftist media baiting him. I believe we would already be dead in the water if it wasn’t for him - and some shithead was running the show instead!

• Listener
    Listener

As an observer, for most US citizens, any elected President is worshipped like a God at that given time.

• JeffT
    JeffT

When the CDC said death toll will be Lower, and closer to the administration's projections, Anderson Cooper seemed disappointed.

I'm sure he was. The American leftist media has been having wet dreams about bringing down Trump for four years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit