Education

by jelly 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Seven
    Seven

Hello everyone,

Reading your posts caused me to playback my university years over and over in my mind. I almost didn't post a reply...wanting to bury forever & forget those feelings of guilt I had just being there.

Like Mikey, higher education was the "only" option in my family. I graduated six years ago. I have a dream career and everything that goes along with it. Jehovah wants us all to find enjoyment and become skilled in the work we do and to share the benefits of our labor with others. It's not only a matter of common sense, it's a matter of survival.

I leave you with my favorite scripture on the subject:

Eccl. 3:13, 22 "Every man should eat and indeed drink and see good for all his hard work. It is the gift of God. And I have seen that there is nothing better than that the man should rejoice in his works, for that is his portion."

Just tough it out...all of you, and do not become discouraged. Know that there are many who are watching you and will follow in your footsteps.

7of9

• waystation
    waystation

I have a job that supports me without having had to go to college. In this I am most fortunate. I have decided to take some classes at the local university just because there are some things I am interested in knowing.

Bodhisattva, I agree that in the past getting a higher education was definitely not smiled upon, but I agree with jelly that to say there was a ban is going too far. Some did go to college and were given privileges at Bethel, etc. I do admire those who follow their consciences without being unduly swayed by what other brothers' or sisters' consciences demand of them.

Although this is off the subject, I feel that I must respond to your comment that "From one point of view, mere humans ran ahead and, holding themselves up as Prophets, told us that it was "Jehovah's promise" to end this system before the passing away of a literal, chronological generation." I realize you qualified that sentence with "from one point of view," but I do think it should be noted that they were giving us their best understanding of the information they had at the time. And while the understanding of the generation has been refined, it is still much the same as it has been.

I much prefer to hold to your second option, that "it is merely another test of endurance that our God has allowed, knowing that it will be put out of mind by the pleasure of a perfect Kingdom, like birth pangs by a mother's joy."

waystation

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

Wow, so this was a site where JWs came and discussed their concerns about "the society"

Its nice to see independent thought blooming

• JohnHag
    JohnHag

Jelly--How dare you to go to school and learn how to make a living--You can have a career in pioneering--Wash windows and clean houses--This way you can make all the meetings and make all the wssemblies--You will be missing out on all that great spirtual food that the Kingdom Halls has prepared for you- Dont you know your life is at stake? Those wordly people at school will mislead you to immorality--smoking weed--boozing--evil thoughts--Quit right away--Your life depends on it-You might be DFD anyway--You will not be setting a fine example for the other young people at the hall--You can wash windows and probably qualify for food stamps--Put the kingdom first--Your thinking must be re adjusted--Seek out the elders and get their help--They will tell you how easy washing windows is--They are there to keep you straight--Jelly--Dont believe a dam thing i said--I only wish i had my time to go over--Today i went to the walmart and there was a guy with poppys for the veterans of war--I took out a dollar and put it into the can and got my poppy--And i put it on right away--I even felt proud doing it--It made me feel good--You get your education and dont let MEN stop you with their nonsense--Thanks for letting me share--The Hag

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I was so confused until I read the date.

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

I deeply regret to this day that, back in 1971, I let the WTS talk me out of going to university: - thereby gaining the engineering degree that would have now gained me a good job in a civilized place -Instead of some location well on the othe rside of the proverbial "Black Stump" where I am now!

To those of you now studying at college;

- Why leave it to a bunch of old fogies in Brooklyn to tell you what you may or may not do with your life?

- What qualifies them to know what is best for you?

- Most importantly; if their "advice" proves to be wrong, who is going to pay the consequences for that , you or them?

The brutal reality is that it is you, Joe average poor so-and-so JW that will suffer from the follies of that lot!

• Overrated
    Overrated

Keep up with your college studies. Don't let JW's encourage you to stop. They will not support you when you need help. And the Org hates education. We all know why.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I think he has retired by now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit