A couple of questions about summer conventions (spinoff)

by razorMind 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Do they still come out with that list of special-JW-rate hotels at the Service Meeting for the summer conventions?

Yes they do -- did it at the Service Meeting last night as a matter of interest

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Gopher hit the nail on the head.

I also recall that the service meeting, when the list was posted, was the meeting the KH cleared out the quickest, because everyone was in a hurry to get home and make reservsations. Except for the elders of course, who had already made their reservations.

Kickbacks, credits, free rooms. Nothing would surprise me any more.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Except for the elders of course, who had already made their reservations.Except for the elders of course, who had already made their reservations.

This is NOT bullshit -- it is truth -- the PO and Secretary told me last night that their rooms were reserved -- so if not all the elders you can be sure that the Service Committee will get first chance at the best hotel rooms

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I didn't realize until I worked in Finance at the assemblies that a big reason they wanted all the JWs to use the hotels the org told them to is because they get a kickback in the form of free rooms. Yes, this is a standard practice in the travel industry. In fact, you can call just about any major hotel/airline/cruiseline etc. and get a free seat or room for every 15 or 20 that you book. The "organizer" of the event is typically compensated in this way. The free rooms would typically be used for the CO's, DO's, visiting Bethel members, visitors invited from overseas, members of other branches, etc. Many business class hotels in major cities are nearly empty on weekends so they will bend over backwards to accomodate JW's in town, especially when assemblies are spread over many weekends. ***** Rub a Dub

• amac
    amac

As Rub pointed out, it is standard practice to get comp rooms. The other obvious reason they want everyone to use the list is it helps them negotiate the cheap prices that they get. If they had poor turnout it would make it tougher to negotiate for next year.

I have no problem with this.....BUT it always bothered me that it was almost a DIRECTIVE from the WT that you have to stay in their hotels, with reminders every year. I would have been much happier if they would just explain from the platform that it helps in negotiating the price and ASK the friends to use the list, so they know this is not some directive from Jehovah, as if he cares what hotel prices we get.

• undercover
    undercover

Is there anything really wrong with getting free rooms if you guarantee so many other rooms are taken?

My biggest complaint is how you were labeled unfaithful if you did not use the rooming list. I am fortunate enough to be considered a seasoned traveler and in being one, I have certain standards that I look for in hotel accomodations. Usually on these lists, there were only one or two acceptable hotels. The rest were cheap and below the standards that I was used to. According to the "counsel", if your first choices were full, then you were to proceed down the line until you found one. I refuse to stay in cheap, dirty motels when just down the street there's a luxury hotel that I can afford. I understand the Society's desire to find affordable accomodations for everyone, but shouldn't the affordable accomodations be saved for those that really need it and let those that can afford more seek their own accomodations? I never was able to see how I was grieving the spirit by staying in a hotel of my own choosing.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

undercover -- that is exactly how I feel -- used to staying in top quality hotels on business etc.

• La Capra
    La Capra

This is such a hoot. I remember my mother driving straight to the motel after each circuit assembly, after the next date was announced to make reservations (in a dive). I was so young then. I never had to do this myself, though. Those lists were carefully guarded for the district conventions, though. Lots of talk about being fair, etc. Fair would have been to stay home, save money and not only miss the convention crap, but also a Thursday meeting, Saturday service and a Sunday meeting, and little to no chance of getting caught in your own home town!!!! Best deal on the list if you ask me. Shoshana

• razorMind
    razorMind
    My biggest complaint is how you were labeled unfaithful if you did not use the rooming list.

Oh, yes, I remember this too. No wonder the list was obsolete by the time you got home from the Service Meeting.

• abbagail
    abbagail

DocBob: I didn't realize until I worked in Finance at the assemblies that a big reason they wanted all the JWs to use the hotels the org told them to is because they get a kickback in the form of free rooms.

roybatty: I never knew this. Who got the free rooms? I can probably guess, but I'm curious to what you saw.

Rub a Dub: The free rooms would typically be used for the CO's, DO's, visiting Bethel members, visitors invited from overseas, members of other branches, etc.
    ------------
    During the summers of '88 and '89, the DC "double headers" (two conventions two weeks in a row) were held here on the beach at The Ocean Center and I was 'privy' to be asked to work in the Admin Office both years as a 'lowly secretary' (though 'happy' to be 'used' by 'God' in whatever way 'He felt best' ;-) Anyway, they had one of those 'comp suites' leftover for whatever reason (huge hotel room with a separate living room) and they practically 'pressured' me to make use of it so that it 'wouldn't go to waste.' Like the dumbdub that I was, I packed a bag and went to stay at this 'suite' at Hamptom Inn which was at least 5 miles away, even though I lived THREE BLOCKS from the convention center, which was much more convenient, especially for those of us who are not 'early birds' to start with! Nice suite or not, I was so mad at myself for agreeing to go stay in the hotel, what an idiot! :-/ Talk about not knowing how to say "No Thank You."

The best 'perks' of working in the "Most Holy" at the DC was getting to 'miss' (guilt-free) sitting in the sardine-seats for all of the sessions; and to be able to pull up at the last minute and park right at the back door of the convention center and go right in (had to first flash your 'official badge' to get in the back door ;-)... no muss, no fuss of seeking a parking spot in the big lots or side streets blocks away, then lugging your bag/books/bibles, etc. and trekking along in those high-heels in the sweltering humidity with your freshly-applied makeup dripping already at 9 am, LOL.

They never held the DC's here after those two years because they said the Ocean Center wanted too much $$$ and the WTS refused to pay their price. It was great having the DC in your 'home town,' though... no traveling, as all the prior years we had to go to Jax.

Speaking of Jax... a few years back there was a newspaper article that the WT would no longer pay the Jax Coliseum the price they wanted, even though the WT had used it for like 19 years as a convention site. After that all the poor Jax. JWs had to travel all the way to St. Pete. Then last year the Coliseum was demolished (imploded) by the City. So I wonder if all of the JWs still have to go to St. Pete, which is really far for the Jax. folks...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit