Atheist ?

by gentlesoul 43 Replies latest jw friends

• gentlesoul
    gentlesoul

I have to ask, How many here have become non believers in God and Christ since leaving the jehovahs Witnesses and why?

• Aztec
    Aztec

I have but, only because they don't exist and never have. My bad!

~Aztec

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

I no longer have any belief in God, so I guess atheist best describes me.

When I was leaving the org I learned to question everything. Never again would I believe something just because it was expected of me or just because "it felt good." It bothers me that the christian god is defined in a way that makes him untestable. There is no way to prove the existence of God.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

I do not think of myself as an atheist or agnostic, but christian aquaintances do.

I like how Doc said it, as to the definition of god being untestable. For me, the biblical and modern christian concept of god is unaceptable. It is severely limiting. It is an unuseable, inadiquite theory-of-god.

I think that god is the universe multiverse, that we are parts of him, and that he experiences his creation/self in part through us.

• Piph
    Piph

In your question you ask about God or Christ...

I still believe in God, though not in the Biblical sense. I believe Jesus was probably a great guy, but not the son of God. I really hate the thought of being sinful and deserving of death and needing someone else to save me. That just feels codependent to me, and if there's a God, I don't believe that he's codependent. ;-)

• morty
    morty

It is sad, But i donot believe in god anymore....

why? I am not sure of this, but it does sometimes bother me, that I dont have a heavenly one to look up to....

It just makes it hard for me to explain to my kids how we got here on this earth...They want to know about the one upstairs, and I have know truthful answer to give them...I just hope that one day, when they are ready to investigate religion that they find there own true god...

• greven
    greven

Like others have said already: when you find out you have been duped you make sure it doesn't happen again. I made sure that I do not believe in anything without solid or at least reasonable evidence/proof.

So I lack a believe in gods just as much as I lack a believe in gnomes, fairies or the lochness monster: because no-one has ever submitted tangible proof thereof to me. Also my own research did not lead me to conclude that any of them exist. Hence, I have no compelling reason to believe in such entities. I do however keep an open mind, and debate such questions to probe my own understanding and assumptions and to 'sharpen iron with iron'.

My thought on Jesus are the same as those on King Athur: I believe that deep down there is a kernal of truth, a real breathing historical person, but time, legend and myth have thouroughly distorted the true nature and image of the person. I certainly do not see Jesus (or whatever his name really was) as the son of God. I think he was a kind reformer of a brutal society, that killed him because of his efforts. After his death he grew into a Hero/God, his followers then attributed miracles and acts of others to this Hero/God. And so the tale grew into what we have now...

Greven

• Undecided
    Undecided

I'm still undecided. Life is still a mystery to me, as well as the universe. I think it's a bit too much for our small minds to contemplate. Even if a God explained it to us we probably wouldn't understand. I guess we just know all we need to know to live the life we have.

Ken P.

• gumby
    gumby

It's obvious by the answers given so far.......that after leaving a cult.........one takes GREAT CAUTION in spiritual decisions.

What is ironic, is the amount that leave god, and/or the bible. Why is it that so many ex-dubs have no belief ? There is obviously a good reason is there not? When I first left the dubs and found this site..........the question raised by this thread was also one of my first thread titles. I wanted to know how so many bible trained people could leave god altogether and not find him again.

Well......after being here awhile I learned WHY many had left god/the bible. Many were only in the dubs out of guilt or fear, with no REAL LOVE for god in the first place.......so when they exited......there was no god there for them as he was never there for them as a dub anyway.

For others........they re-searched the making of the bible and listened to the critical side of the bible and it's god. Learning what they learned, caused them to stand where they now stand. They cannot swallow the bible story in their heart because of what they have learned. The sad part is, all those who still cling to the bible and it's god.........feel all these ones are lost in gods eyes.

Gumby

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Someone came up with a great explanation in another thread. As a dub we spent a lot of our time thrashing on the beliefs of other religions. Once we lost faith in our own religion, we were already aware of the faults in most other religions. Why would we switch to a religion we already knew was faulty?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit