What was the retirement plans you heard brothers talk about if any

by JimmyYoung 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• lastmanstanding
    lastmanstanding

At the same time that I was meeting and married my wife 30 years ago, I was waking up. I had been sending letters to Brooklyn, questioning doctrine, and through the process I eventually realized WTBTS was all balogna.

I was taught, through my upbringing and the example of my dad, financial prudence. He was a union tradesman. So was his father, my grand dad. So, I always had in my mind a full time job with benefits, regardless of WT BS.

I did secure my trade, and a union job, same one my dad and gran dad had. And my wife eventually opened her eyes. We have a few houses, a fat bank account thanks to not putting a single penny in the contribution box for the last three decades, and a defined benefit (dinosaur) pension, last of its kind.

I helped my wife get some fine education, better late than never, and she has work history, and some pension coming to her also.

My kid went to the U. Got a good ticket, and a high paying job.

We did ok.

... still pimo, but ok.

Actually, I am more a scab than pimo. (So Called Apostate Brother) as I have been active against the Borg from within.

BUT.. it’s not all so peachy for the others of my demographic. The top dog, for example, on our ‘body’ is at a crossroads. He saved next to nothing, he’s old and still working (gasp) as he and Mrs COBE can’t retire. He’s a good example of what I call ‘life implosion’.

I have learned, over the years, that when the dollars stop making sense, things begin to happen. That’s where the buck stops. And the buck is about to stop big time.

For those of you who follow the financial markets, you already know what I am going to say. One poster up the board touched on it.

The US markets are in freaking LaLa land. The cherry on the top of that pile of dung is the repo markets. This is where 1929 and 2008 begins and ends. And the FED has the repo markets on life support and pain killers to the tune of billions per month. Else, the US banking system implodes, lending dries up, margins and mortgages get called.

That my friends, is the proverbial shit hitting the fan. The markets, well they go pop as a consequence of credit dying. The world lives on credit.

And that is where the buck will stop for not just the lowly dubs who haven’t two shekels to rub together. That is where Watchtology stumbles and falls.

How far off, well there’s estimates, and lately, there’s been hedge funds putting their money where their mouth is. I cannot envision an avoidance of financial tumult beyond 2020. Fun fact, the US economy grew 2 percent during the last four quarters, but credit grew TEN percent during the same time.

Its been all well and good for the dubs, they have been able to play their games, pioneering on a shoe string etc. through the last few decades, but the chickens are coming home to roost. Money is drying up fast.

2020 will be an interesting year, for those who have a few drachmas.

For those with an empty purse, not so much.

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

I saved almost nothing, because the WT said we dont need to. Jah provides.
    And I spent my life as an UBER JW.

So now I am in my 50s in debt and with 2 kids getting really close to college aged.

I am 100% totally fucked.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Of my generation ( post WW2 baby-boomers) nobody dared talk about retirement, it would betray a lack of faith in the message. Least of all would you dream of a retirement of leisure and relaxation. No, No No...

This meant that nobody had retirement income set aside . I have known some that struggle especially those that were self employed.

The only thing was , if retirement age approached, a desire expressed to Pioneer . Some did for a while until old age and infirmity take their toll. That is when we are all glad of this world's system and the National Health Service..

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

US doesnt have national health even. We were not going g to get infirm. Also tbere is a disconnect in recomended savings the world encourages and actual lower class incomes

My plans revolve around lotto

• hoser
    hoser

I was lucky. I woke up mentally in my early 30’s. Thats when I started planning to die.

• James Jack
    James Jack

You were considered weak and bad association if you talked about retirement.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Jimmy Young - "What was the retirement plans you heard brothers talk about if any?"

Making a short-term and supposedly self-sustaining killing in a multi-level-marketing thing in order to pioneer.

And if you wanna take a stab at how often it's actually happened...

• lastmanstanding
    lastmanstanding

Re: iwantoutnow

5 hours ago

I saved almost nothing...
    And I spent my life as an UBER JW.

I am 100% totally !

iwant, I can empathize. I have a PIMi friend with two kids pushing on to college soon. You sound like him, only he’s still flagellating himself with the watchtower stick.

I have tried to drop hints to him, to make him think. I don’t think it helped.

I don’t have advice for you. Only a prayer.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

JAMES JACK:

The smart JWs kept their mouths shut and prepared for retirement..Only idiots walked around telling people their financial business.

I worked full time..The first congregation I was associated with had 1950s mentality people who thought it was “shocking” that a young woman had a job. I wasn’t raised a JW and had no intention of quitting my decent job to do housecleaning..So, I was semi-shunned by some people there who never so much as said hello.. I was never invited anywhere.

When I moved to another hall I made the mistake to have a Witness prepare my taxes. Even though I liked this person, I suspect they told people my business.. They saw that I put money in an IRA and said scornfully:.“you’ll never see that money”..Well, it just so happens they passed away years ago and I am five years retired.

It was totally WORTH it to be scorned!. God help me now if I would have made the mistake of listening to the Witnesses! I can never forget this.

• fulano
    fulano

I’ll retire in the grave. What’s life without working?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit