May 2019 child abuse WT

by neat blue dog 36 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

The article is definitely an attempt at spin, but there are some statements in this article that, at least on paper, go further than they have ever gone towards some reforms. It's like they will be slowly dragged, kicking and screaming, millimeter by millimeter towards making changes.

if nothing else, a whole magazine devoted to the topic shows that they definitely realize they have a problem.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

But as usual they're making it look like it's their idea and/or it's always been that way.

• Incognito
    Incognito
    13 Do elders comply with secular laws about reporting an allegation of child abuse to the secular authorities? Yes. In places where such laws exist, elders endeavour to comply with secular laws about reporting allegations of abuse.

While WT makes the claim that reporting does occur where required by law, evidence does not support reporting always ocurs. Pennsylvania USA is a mandatory reporting state yet the Pen court case WT lost a few years ago proved that matter was not reported.

Australia does have mandatory reporting states yet out of the 1800+ cases revealed to the CARC, 0 cases were reported even as it could be assumed that at least one case occurred within a mandatory reporting area.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

i wonder if this means Barbra Anderson now gets a formal apology and pardon from Wt, as she was right all along. I think they can be thankful that Barbra done what she did back then or they would be having twice the problem now if Jarez was left in the seat.

• Della Street
    Della Street

The way this article is written, I am wondering if some elders were confusing their judicial duties as elders with their requirements to report. for example, if there were not two witnesses, maybe they assumed that meant they were not allowed or required report to authorities....

One good thing about this though is that this is the most straightforward article I can recall that addresses reporting to authorities for parents or elders. Parents don't have to wait to report, and the article addresses if the issue becomes public knowledge that it is not the victim or parents who brought reproach, but the abuser. I'm pretty sure that has never been in print before....

I'll give them credit for a small step forward. I'd like for them to say we report under all circumstances where doing such does not breach clergy confidentiality (such as direct confession).

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte
    If they knew of a suspected MURDERER, they would report it straight to the police - right?

Wrong. Elders would not. Elders will not tell on any active JWs about any crime, period. The basic reason for this is that they believe in the power of forgiveness, governments do not. They focus on mercy and "washing their robes in the blood of the lamb" while government focus on punishment.

So while a former murderer could become an elder and hold a responsible position in the congregation in a few years, the same man could face life in prison or even death when dealt by the authorities.

So, where do they draw the line? Report on murderers and pedophiles, but not on the frauds? Report on arsonists, but not on thieves? They don't want to draw a line and so, treat all crimes as equal and in the same manner.

• blondie
  • flipper
    flipper

Here's another BS statement by WT representatives in this article " The elders do not interfere with law enforcement ; they leave criminal matters to the secular authorities. "

They DO interfere with law enforcement - by NOT reporting it as elders to the police themselves. They generally leave it up to the abuse victims and their families to report child abuse crimes to the police. WT Society legal department would rather have elders stonewall the police authorities so as to shift the responsibility of reporting child abuse to the victims. Here's the deal- the reason for this attitude on WT legal's part is to avoid any unwanted attention in order to avoid any more costly lawsuits than they already have.

And it's totally hypocritical on WT's part. Like Stuckinarut stated " WT would insist on reporting murderers, right ? " Yet WT won't insist on appointed elders reporting child abuse to police. It should be MANDATORY that elders report child abuse to police- yet to save their ass financially- WT Society won't insist elders do this.

And one more thing : this ridiculous WT article says NOTHING about child abuse victims being helped by professional therapists, psychiatrists, or counselors to get needed assistance by trained professionals who would help them heal.

WT just says for individual JW " brothers or sisters " to help these ones by having a cup of tea with them and listening. Although that's nice - do we really think any of these " brothers or sisters " are more highly trained than therapists, psychiatrists, or counselors who have been educated to assist child abuse victims ? Once again WT drops the ball in this article. There's no change here in attitudes of the WT leaders. Same shit, different day. Makes me pissed. Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• flipper
    flipper

Another thing. I just can't stand the passive aggressive stance WT makes in the next comment in the next sentence right after they claim they " don't interfere with law enforcement " .

This quote > " Instead, the elders judge, or determine, whether an individual can remain in the congregation. " By stating this RIGHT AFTER claiming they don't " interfere " with law enforcement - it's like the GB or WT leaders are strutting their authority to " worldly secular authorities " like saying - " nah, nah, na, na -nah WE determine who can remain a JW - secular authorities DO NOT . "

So stupidly, inadvertently, WT Society ADMITS that THEIR standards are much LOWER for a child molester to remain in the congregation as a JW than the standards of worldly secular authorities locking up a child molester for 50, 60 years in prison ! Incredible. Hypothetically a JW child molester within the WT organization might be " forgiven " just reproved and remain a JW - even though the police authorities and courts of the land find him guilty and he serves life in prison ! Yet he's STILL in good standing as an alleged " JW christian " while serving his prison term. Now wrap your mind around THAT for a moment- and see if it makes you want to vomit. I'm sorry- but this WT organization is f---ed six ways from Sunday. Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Like the Bronze Age religion it is, they view women and children as property not human beings to be cherished.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit