Physically In, Mentally Out

by James Jack 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Maybe, just take a long break and focus on helping those in my community, like the Methodist's Do.

I'm not good at telling people what to believe or not, but I could suggest about what not to do. I have known of people who have gone through similar situations and then make decisions that may not settle well with what this forum is for. Some people return to the congregation and become uber JWs again.

Whatever you choose, please know that this is a forum for support to others, and that right now you have a listening ear. Don't attack us later if you choose to go back to be a super duper spiritual JW.

• James Jack
    James Jack

I would not attack anyone (unless I'm being slandered), not my nature, besides, the world does a good job hitting us pretty hard.

I really enjoy this forum and look at it on a daily basis.

• mentalclarity
    mentalclarity

Welcome James Jack! There are a lot of comments on this thread full of wisdom.

Give yourself some time and space (without anything religious) and just be for a while. I know it sounds kind of hokey but honestly, after making every decision in my life based on what God wanted, it was necessary for me to just kind of sit with myself for a while without thinking about what the bible said, what jws said, what the secular world said. It was too overwhelming. I just couldn't figure it all out at once and I think it's tempting to to replace all those rules/bible knowledge/jw knowledge with something. You can little by little create a new belief system that reflects the unique individual that you are whatever that may be. Some on this forum are atheists/some are religious/some are spiritual. Get comfortable with not having all the answers. None of us have "all" the answers. I think that's the biggest psychological hurdle when leaving- there is this void that you feel you have to fill where there were all the answers and that is just not reality- the truth is their is no truth, at least in imo.

I guess what I'm saying is get comfortable with a certain level of uncertainty. That's really helped me.

• Old Navy
    Old Navy
    Yep, the WTBorg experience does kinda shatter the mind into various compartments as the indoctrination is implanted. It'll take some time, as everyone has indicated, to enable the brain to re-assemble itself into a coherent unit once again. As you continue your search for Truth at your own pace you'll eventually come to the Really Good News. There is so much that the WTGB have gotten wrong about what is to come. Freedom is indeed a wonderful thing!
  • problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

You were taught that to look inwardly, and think independently were bad things.

Really they are necessary for our development.

Even as a JW I had sort of a morbid fear of death (and maybe being killed by God). As an awake out person, I still can't shake it, and its not good. Through some real reflection and research, I figured that processing death, and you living your one and only life (at least in the state you are currently in...if you happen to have a religious faith), happens in per-adolesence.

But I WASN'T GOING TO DIE. I got to walk into the new world riding a lion. So......I never processed the idea of ceasing to exist as i was.

It took time......self reflection....and being open to anything to get that.

Give yourself time. So what is right for you and your family, and while it sounds like a buzzword, take back your integrity. It will make you feel whole again, even if you have more questions than answers maybe for the first time in your life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit