UC Berkeley orders cancellation of Ann Coulter speech

by freemindfade 115 Replies latest social current

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

UC Berkeley administrators canceled a scheduled speech by right-wing pundit Ann Coulter, saying they can’t protect participants from rioting if it goes ahead

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/UC-Berkeley-orders-cancellation-of-Ann-Coulter-11084299.php

Now I am no Ann Coulter fan (although the SJW police on here will accuse me of being a fan shortly after posting this), but I am a fan of free speech! What is going on? These "anti-fascist" rioters are the epitome of FASCISM. This kind of stupidity is what gives rise to the likes of Trump, this is true fascism that is making thinking people distance themselves from the modern "left", not because they like people like Milo nd Ann, but because they like their rights and civil liberties intact.

Do you think this is good or bad?

• Simon
    Simon

Universities in North American are becoming joke caricatures of some of the things they claim to stand for.

Free speech? Forget it, you'll find more at a KH.

They have become a cesspit of closed minded bigotry and political condemnation of anything and everything that doesn't just fit their world view any anyone who dares suggest the world doesn't work how they think it does or should.

The fact that they use violence for their political goals makes them fascists, whatever they want to call themselves.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

These "anti-fascist" rioters are the epitome of FASCISM.

Well said.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I think it is not good, although I can understand the Uni's concerns about liability.

Something similar happened down here at Auburn University.

I say, let people espouse their views - whether you agree with them or not.

Sylvia

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Berkeley was once ground zero for TRUE free speech, now it is becoming ground zero for censorship. Because of a bunch of privileged brats who think they are fighting for something.

• blondie
  • Spoletta
    Spoletta

Not a good thing at all. Free speech is something that should be sacred above all. On the other hand, Berkeley is kind of caught between a rock and a hard place, having to weigh which action will generate the worst publicity, cancelling the talk, or chancing a riot.

• cobweb
    cobweb

When I lived in Brighton UK, the English Defence League (a far right organisation) used to travel there every year in order to march. This is because Brighton is a famously liberal town and there there was always a counter protest by the masses.

The upshot of this is that it used to cost Brighton half a million pounds for the additional policing required for the three or four hours that they were marching. Personally I used to resent the fact that a small number of marchers was costing the town so much money as there were better uses for it, particularly as most of these people were complete bastards.

Freedom of speech is all very well but sometimes there are practicalities to consider.

• Simon
    Simon

SFSU Professor caught rioting and attacking people with a bike lock.

There needs to be more accountability with who is being hired and what nonsense they are promoting to impressionable youth within their classes.

Hint: if a crowd of people feel they need to wear masks and are violent, they are not the good guys.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

cobweb

Protests are one thing but AntiFa's goal is to riot and walks a fine line of domestic terrorism at times.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit