What would Watchtower Corporation(tm) do?

by punkofnice 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

What would Watchtower Corporation(tm) do in compromise of their 'North Korean style rules' if by publicly removing them, they could get more money and power?

EG. If each Governing Body(tm) member (Pee be upon them), were offered a few million quid/bucks each to rescind the barbaric 'no whole blood' rule?

I know what I think these fake religionists would do. What about your thoughts? You may even know of some instances of this.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

There's a big if there. Short term, it would give them money but they would lose substantial amounts of power and future revenue. We already know if you personally have enough money, then the rules can bend around you, but the rules for the masses have to remain in place.

Kim Jong-Un is rich beyond belief, he'd likely make a lot more money opening up the country to capitalism, but there are major risks to his power being usurped by people that would do better than him in short terms if he did that. There is a fine balance in dictatorships.

• Journeyman
    Journeyman

I think the answer hinges on the question "What do they (individually and collectively) actually believe?"

I think many of the opponents of JWs (whether exJWs themselves or not) underestimate this factor, perhaps because they assume that because they no longer believe the theology (and possibly never did), then none of the leadership do either.

If a GB member genuinely believes he has a God-given role to "lead the flock", and he genuinely believes in the no blood teaching, then threats or bribes will not sway him, and in fact are more likely to make him dig his heels in. Likewise with other controversial things like shunning. Most of us can remember being like that ourselves when we were "in", if we were threatened or sweet-talked into being tempted to "compromise" on any of those beliefs.

Where it would become really interesting, and maybe has been (or is) already causing tension at the top, is the power balance. What % of the GB are completely behind these teachings and how many could be persuaded to relax them or even abandon them at some time in return for "concessions"? Who holds the balance of power regarding which teachings are non-negotiable and which could be "flexible"?

I really don't think offering money would make a difference, but something like dropping legal action and/or giving immunity from prosecution or (in the case of more intolerant countries like Russia) giving the JWs more religious freedom might be tempting to some in the GB.

Possibly for some, giving them more influence in "the world" might also be tempting, like with UN lobby groups and national legal processes (forming religious freedom laws, etc), but again that would depend on how much they believe the "no part of the world" teaching and the concept that political organisations are controlled by the Devil, and their belief they're going to heaven to rule.

The evidence so far seems to be that the GB are "circling the wagons" and going into defensive mode over their most controversial core teachings, which suggests they really do believe in them and also really do believe that they are heading for the Armageddon showdown with "the world", or at the very least that changing their teachings now would somehow be worse than keeping them. It makes it less likely they will give way on anything unless one or more of them who hold some authority break rank.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Mousy - There is a fine balance in dictatorships.

This is a valid observation.

J-man - I think many of the opponents of JWs (whether exJWs themselves or not) underestimate this factor, perhaps because they assume that because they no longer believe the theology (and possibly never did), then none of the leadership do either.

Yes. I actually think that could be my thoughts. I don't think the GB(TM) (PBUT), believe their own lies and corrupt filth.

But what if they do.

I respect your POV.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Rescinding the blood nonsense would maybe involve them in lawsuits by family members, because of the ones who died until they received New Light ( really a huge deposit in their Bank accounts according to your scenario).

I think the G.B members when first appointed are full on believers, if perhaps ambitious and suffering from the Dunning-Krueger effect, but when they have seen the process that governs Doctrinal changes, then Cognitive Dissonance sets in , with some. Some will remain full on believers.

Whatever, I don't see them making any major changes soon.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Of course they’re true believers.

As I’ve said many times, it’s easy when you’re told over and over again that you’re God’s appointed spokesman, and you’re surrounded by people who are never allowed to disagree with you.

Hell, the whole system is designed to only allow the true believers to rise through the ranks.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

That being said…

…I’m quite sure that whilst believing it’s true…

…they know it’s wrong…

…at the same time.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Either way, I’m quite certain that they are abso-fucking-lutely circling the wagons and prepping for the End…

…theirs or otherwise.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I’m not sure they’re all true believers. They may have a sense of belief, but they cannot be true hardcore believers like some people in congregations are. Once you get to those levels of the org (anyone appointed to RBC/circuit or other multi-congregation work can attest to this) there are a ton of things you have to see through that no sane person could honestly accept if they are true God-fearing Christians. The financial accounting only should have people understand the amount of grift that goes on.

I think that most GB members and their staff know it’s a big lie, even if they believe in the core tenets. The problem in any dictatorship is the people around you. There ARE people that will claim to be true believers and happily stab each other in the back just for the power, if not the money. That may be what happened to the last reject of the GB, he grew a conscience stronger than his drinking habits.

Watch “The Death of Stalin” which is historically very accurate, the fact the series of events depicted is what actually happened in real life turns the entire thing a dark comedy. You have to see what I mean, but that IS no different than the GB and JW leadership, I think that is what happened to Morris, he was spiritually (perhaps literally) laying in his own piss dying, people around him were too afraid to do anything constructive to not offend anyone with power while those closest to the top immediately started scheming for the looming power void.

Once you get to Bethel, you lose everything, you lose your family, your job, your support system. You “leave” and are instantly homeless with no skills to speak of.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    Of course they’re true believers.

Yep. Nothing more to say.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit