2016-4-4-BOE!--Scanning and Sending Medical Records through Emails!

by Atlantis 33 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

I was always under the impression that only "licensed" persons had the authority to do this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2016-4-4-BOE Scanning and Sending Medical Records through Emails!

This is the last paragraph of the main body of the BOE without the top and bottom, which revealed the congregation and information which could expose our source.
    "Therefore, brothers, I appeal to you to make sure that a copy of the new ADD for every publisher is kept in alphabetical order, perhaps using an A-Z filing system to expedite it's location and so that it can be kept neat, clean and legible for scanning and emailing for up to 4 years, after which a new copy should be completed. It is also essential that when the secretary is away from his congregation, this file should be given to another elder to care for until his return."
    http://postimg.org/image/kwb4p5k0j/

Atlantis!
  • Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened
    Thank you Atlantis!!!!
  • JeffT
    JeffT
    I was always under the impression that only "licensed" persons had the authority to do this

Is this in the United States? Medical records are protected under HIPPA, failure to comply with the law can lead to all sorts of trouble. Each and every person who has medical information in those files must have given them written consent to share that information with each and every person or organization they share it with. So each individual has to have signed a consent form to allow the secretary to handle the information. They must also have signed a consent form for whoever he's going to turn the files over to when needed. They also have to have signed a consent form for each and every individual or organization they intend to give the information to.

This could easily lead to massive lawsuits.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse
    Yes this is SO against the HIPPA rules in the USA!
  • Hadriel
    Hadriel
    @Atlantis and @wifi are pretty much rockstars in my book.
  • Hadriel
    Hadriel

BTW what they are doing sending this info electronically ( I can't speak to the consent part I'll leave that up to lawyer Jeff) is a very serious no no.

What I mean is that once the consent is done there's much more to go. In order to send the document via any electronic form you must ensure that it is done in an encrypted manner.

I know this for an absolute certainty. The below is usually what's needed.

http://www.austinmedclinic.com/hipaa-and-email.pdf

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

If a person is suffering from a condition of memory loss they have have no knowledge anymore that they even signed the ADD. The Elders would then go back to the last Directive signed which is really void because it is outdated. Therefore a person could be refused a transfusion when in reality they may have changed their mind.

Atlantis!

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

The letter mentions that if the secretary is gone that another elder should take his place to secure these Medical Records. But are any of the Elders qualified to encrypt emails according to the laws of their state? JWs everywhere could be having their Medical Records splattered all over the Internet.

Atlantis!

• Island Man
    Island Man

I don't know. The writing style in this paragraph does not seem characteristic of something that would come from Watchtower. I doubt Watchtower would write:

It is also essential that when the secretary is away from his congregation...

No, they would write something like:

If the secretary is away from the congregation or unable to carry out his duties...

The beginning of the paragraph says "I appeal to you" as if the letter is coming from an individual. Letters from Watchtower are always narrated with "we" or "the Governing Body" - never "I". But if it's a letter from a C.O. to a specific congregation he would not use the expression "away from his congregation" but speak of "the congregation" since a specific congregation is being spoken of and not multiple secretaries in multiple respective congregations.

I'm doubting the authenticity of this BOE paragraph. It doesn't read right. it lacks Watchcraft.

• cofty
    cofty

I share your concerns Island Man. Letters from the Branch or GB to bodies of elders don't use that kind of phraseology.

"I appeal to you" is not WT language.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit