WT September 2016: Tight Pants (Does your style of dress Glorify God?

by Designer Stubble 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Designer Stubble
    Designer Stubble

We will not weigh you down with burdensome lists, as you have the freedom to choose, but here is our list anyway.

Some snippets:

The Law showed Jehovah’s strong feelings against clothing that does not make clear the distinction between male and female—what has been described in our day as unisex fashion. (Read Deuteronomy 22:5.) From God’s stated direction about clothing, we clearly see that God is not pleased with styles of dress that feminize men, that make women look like men, or that make it hard to see the difference between men and women.

We do not need detailed lists saying which styles of dress are acceptable and which are objectionable. Rather, we are guided by Scriptural principles that allow room for personal preferences.

The principles that we glean from God’s Word should move us to avoid wearing clothing that is tight-fitting...

...our brothers and sisters appreciate it when we refrain from wearing clothes that are so tight or so loose that they are revealing. We should take seriously our responsibility to avoid clothes that may offend others.

Many stores cater to popular fashions, so it may take more time and effort to find modest skirts, dresses, and blouses or suits and slacks that are not too tight.

How grateful we are that Jehovah does not burden us with detailed lists of regulations about our dress and grooming.
    Instead, he has permitted us to exercise our free will and make sensible personal decisions...
  • smiddy
    smiddy

Didn`t Jesus and his disciples wear clothing that was indistinguishable from women ?

I mean men didn`t wear pants , they wore robes , much like what the women wore

And for that matter women wore clothing that matched men`s attire.

Did their dress glorify GOD ?........... Did it offend GOD ?

I don`t see any scriptures that say one thing or another., why does the WT /GB ,see the need to go beyond what the scriptures say .

SSSHHEEESHH......... talk about stupidity ....are they for real ? Bringing this subject up in the 21st Century ?

smiddy

• smiddy
    smiddy

For lurkers here :

You try wearing the clothing that Jesus and his disciples wore at your next meeting and see how you go.

Jesus and his disciples all had beards , grow one and see how long it takes for the Elders to come down on you for growing one.

You sisters with a beard are excused

smiddy

• Lieu
    Lieu
    ...our brothers and sisters appreciate it when we refrain from wearing clothes that are so tight or so loose that they are revealing.

Is that so? And who told YOU what I do or don't appreciate? Did I miss a questionaire?

Deuteronomy says???? Er, yeah for ancient Israelites; so you could tell which dress was for a man and which dress was for a woman. That Law Code. You don't get to pick and choose with that code for modern application; it's ALL or NONE. No one has to marry their rapist. So guess what? NONE.

Stop trying to reinstate what Christ's death has "fulfilled". Besides, we can tell which pants suits are for men and which pants suits are for women.

All this because of ONE members personal dislikes. It's such a stupid thing to be focused on.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    How grateful we are that Jehovah does not burden us with detailed lists of regulations about our dress and grooming.

I'm sure the governing body and their bully boys will soon do this. They already have pictures of how to dress when visiting cult HQ.

From God’s stated direction about clothing, we clearly see that God is not pleased .....

God is never pleased with anything.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

My pants are always tight - but that's more about my pot belly than the way they're tailored...

• bohm
    bohm

punkofnice:

God is never pleased with anything

• Barbeque (very well-done)
    • Stuff he does himself
    • When people do exactly as he says
    • Songs of praise & glory
    • JW TV
    • A good stoning
    • When you shun your children
    • When a 6 year old enters an unbreakable contract with him
    • Stephen Lett

But asides that, yah, God's not happy at all...

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Wow! "we will not impose strict rules" but we will...

What is wrong with a nicely tailored business suit for a woman? Why does she have to wear a skirt?

Jesus said "they make the word of god invalid by their traditions" and self imposed rules...

Also, one defining aspect of a cult is if they impose a set of guidelines about dress and grooming!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

AND the law also promoted killing of anyone who broke a rule...are we now going to do that too?

• oppostate
    oppostate
    AND the law also promoted killing of anyone who broke a rule...are we now going to do that too?

@stuckinarut2

Yes, basically they do what they can do to the extent they can get away with legally, with shunning and treating human beings like the living dead. If they could legally put someone to death I'm sure they'd vomit up an article describing how it was done in the Old Testament and how it should be applied now.

They're like the pharisees bemoaning the fact the Romans didn't allow them to impose the death penalty. Bunch of filthy-lucre-loving, blood-stained-hand hypocrites that they are at WT HQ!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit