The two elders threaten my sister again

by opusdei1972 40 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Heaven
    Heaven
    I agree with Hecce. She should speak with her lawyer and the police. If she wants to write a letter, have her lawyer do it. That way it's on file and if they continue, a case for harassment and possibly stalking can be pursued.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

opusdei1972

I have told to my sister that she must report to the police that these two elders are stalking her.

If she goes to the police they will simply give her a restraining order document to fill out at home and take it to a judge. That could prevent the elders from coming within 100 yards of her.
  • opusdei1972
    opusdei1972

Thanks for the advice....indeed, these things are happening because my sister lives in South America (I don't want to tell which country), where the police despises these actions. However, she must do something with her attorney.

If she were in US, where the LAW works better, the advice of "Village Idiot" would work.

• zeb
    zeb
    Their actions sound like stalking. Call the police give their vehicle number and their names.
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

If she were in US, where the LAW works better, the advice of "Village Idiot" would work.

In the US, the Gov't is not going to do anything about the inter-workings of a religion unless they start sacrificing virgins (which are very difficult to find these days). She would just get DFd in absentia. Which is likely the same thing that will happen if she refuses to appear before the JC now that she has been summoned.

Let's review: It's a cult! (In remembrance of Oubliette)

Doc

• Landy
    Landy

If they have 'evidence' of apostasy, then any restraining orders, contacting the police, lawyer's letters etc will only confirm their view and she will probably be df'd in her absence.

If they are convening a committee and she's desperate not to get df'd then the only realistic option is to attend, deny everything and be 'spiritually weak'.

• kairos
    kairos

If I really wanted to avoid being DF'd for apostasy it would have been a lot of work and time spent for what, in the end?

They were already shunning me and I was absolutely sure that I would NEVER go back to the KH for any reason.

I should have DA'd three years ago when I first learned TTATT.

---

If your sister can come to terms with this reality, I think she should consider ignoring them completely and let them do what they do or simply hand them an "F. U. letter", I mean formal disassociation.

Then she can have true peace and freedom.
    The pain of shunning is pretty bad, however.
    I'm at the anger stage. Angry that the policy still exists.

It's all so ridiculous. They are making it about loyalty.
    Ultimately a loyalty oath to the GB.

• GoneAwol
    GoneAwol

Our elders wanted a dissociation letter off us, 2 years after we stopped going.

I politely and calmly told them that if any one brother was willing to get on the platform and mention our names in any way, shape, or form, that I would be contacting my solicitor, and suing that particular brother for broadcasting our personal names in a public place without my written consent.

(uk right to privacy act includes any private information not to be disclosed without express consent unless it is deemed a public interest, ie government bodies. Think the human rights act is similar) ref: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-rights/civil-rights/human-rights/what-rights-are-protected-under-the-human-rights-act/your-right-to-respect-for-private-and-family-life/

Its worth mentioning that it would be hard to prove a whole body of elders was complicit in making such an announcement, not to mention time consuming. One elder is easier to target in the instance of a public announcement being made. It also serves to put the elder off from doing so. It makes him think twice.

What the elders want from you is some type of closure. They hate loose ends, because it makes them appear powerless. By going down this route, you have stopped them trying to collect info on, stalking, asking other people about you etc, because they know its a waste of time.

It worked for us, not a peep for 7 years so far.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Sounds very strange in my ears; in my congregation, some 7-8 have faded during the last 3-4 years, and they are neither hounded nor are their names mentioned from the platform re. disassosiation.

Different places, different practises.

• dozy
    dozy

yeah - it does seem to vary widely from congregation to congregation. A lot depends on the attitude of the elders - most are pretty lazy or are too busy with more pressing congregation problems to be bothered , but some seem to get the "bit between their teeth" and actively go after faders.

A few years ago when I was an elder in our congregation we had a "fader" who a sister constantly was complaining should have been DFd as he had taken to living with a "worldly girlfriend". Eventually we decided to send a couple of elders to check him out. He basically told them that his life was none of their business and told them to get lost. This left us with a bit of a dilemna and we decided after a majority vote not to take any further action , though three of the elders felt it should go to a JC & he should be officially kicked out. Under other circumstances he could easily have been DFd - just the luck of the draw , really.

The only thing I would say is that the longer the fade , the less likely someone will be DFd , though there is no hard & fast WTBTS rule about a "statute of limitations".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit