Lurkers: A truth is either true, or it isn't. There is no in between.

by cappytan 35 Replies latest jw friends

• cappytan
    cappytan

Truth is absolute. There is no such thing as 2=1 or 1=2.

If one starts out with the equation 2=1, one has already failed.

Truth = Truth. You cannot change whether something is truth or not.

When the organization teaches one thing as a truth (ex. 144,000 are the Faithful and Discreet Slave) and then changes their position on that (ex. only Governing Body are the Faithful and Discreet Slave), what have they done to **truth**?

They have muddied it's meaning. They have become enemies of what truth is.

This is why it makes you uncomfortable when friends or family might decide to leave the organization or become "apostate." That discomfort you're feeling is called cognitive dissonance. It's because you no longer have a full grasp on what is true and you are trying to rely on others to tell you what is true.

If someone you relied on for truth came along and said, "Lurker, x used to be true, but now we're saying x isn't true, but y is true, and you must accept this because we have the authority to say this," you are going to experience discomfort.

The discomfort you feel is because deep down, you know that they and by extension **you** might be wrong, but you don't want to accept that fact.

Stop trying to fit the Governing Body's doctrine into the realm of truth.

Don't make "the truth" your own, learn what TRUTH is on your own, and then apply it.

• coalize
    coalize

Truth is not absolute...

Binary truth is absolute...

But the world is not binary!

• cappytan
    cappytan
    Truth is not absolute...

How is truth not absolute? Something is either true or false. There is no evidence for in between.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

Lets put it in context. There might be some "truth" to what coalize says.

Binary truth...

Is the world binary? (binary answer is NO)

If so then, are we discussing the truth of the world or the truth of the bible as put forth by the JW? (binary answer is "we are discussing the truth of the bible as put forth by the JW")

Is the bible truth binary? Binary answer is YES

Therefore, the truth as discussed in this case is binary and absolute. No prophet ever had more than two answers to a question.

• coalize
    coalize
    How is truth not absolute? Something is either true or false. There is no evidence for in between.

In binary system or manichean thoughts, or boolean logic, yes!

Hopefully, the world is more "fuzzy"

• coalize
    coalize
    " the truth as discussed in this case is binary"

I agree with that!

• cappytan
    cappytan

The premise of the post was in the title: "A truth is either true or it isn't."

Name one thing presented as a "truth" that isn't binary.

• coalize
    coalize
    Name one thing presented as a "truth" that isn't binary.

"I'm tall"

• cappytan
    cappytan
    "I'm tall."

You would have to agree that this is still binary. Either someone is tall or they're not.

Is the statement, "I'm tall," by this hypothetical person true or not?

If you're not sure, follow up questions are in order.

"Hey, Tom Cruise. You say you're tall. Tall in relation to what?"

"I'm tall in relation to this blade of grass."

"OK, Tom Cruise, in that case, you are speaking truth."

See? It's either true or it isn't. If something is questionable, then follow up questions can determine if the "truth" presented is actually a "truth." This is the essence of critical thinking.

• coalize
    coalize

"Tall in relation to what?""

By definition of "absolute", this question is the proof that the truth is not absolute...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit