When did JWs stop reciting the Lord’s Prayer together?

by slimboyfat 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

This is all news to me. My WT memories go back to the late 50’s and we were always against the repetition of prayers as they did in Christendom. The Lords Prayer was always seen as a guide only...

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It was news to me too, BluesBrother, a most surprising find. Yet there it is in the WT literature.

• bsmart
    bsmart

When I was in the first or second grade (about 1952 or 3) I was taught by my grandmother the Lords Prayer when I stayed overnight at her place). She was a witness for more than a few years at that time. One of my aunts was a pioneer about that year too.

• blondie
    blondie

I knew many Bible Students (later jws in 1931) during that period, my grandparents were Bible Students and left in 1932, didn't like Rutherford and the name change in 1931. I also knew those who stayed and never mentioned this. but then perhaps it has faded in time. How many jws know that before 1970, at the WT Study, the questions were asked first, answers given, and then the paragraph was read (to "sum up"). It seems the conductor would look out and see the audience frantically reading the paragraph looking for an answer, seemed few had pre-studied perhaps did not even read the article. So the WTS adjusted and had the paragraph read first, then question asked. Based on what one older woman told me, the few public speakers they had, had no real training and the talks were so bad. As well, as prayers. Probably reciting the Lord's Prayer was so much better. "Yearbook South Africa: "In 1933 the branch office moved to larger rented premises in Cape Town and remained there until 1952. By then the Bethel family had grown to 21 members. Those early Bethelites had accommodations in brothers’ homes and traveled to the office and printery every day. Before work each morning, they met in the changing room of the printery to discuss the daily text. After that, they recited the Lord’s Prayer in unison." 2007 Yearbook, p. 84.

• St George of England
    St George of England
    How many jws know that before 1970, at the WT Study, the questions were asked first, answers given, and then the paragraph was read

Reading the paragraphs first was a soft option when conducting a Bible Study with someone and was frowned upon. Instructions for conducting the WT Study from 1953, this would wake up a few today.

WT 53 8/1 pp458-9:-

Starting the study itself, he will propound the printed question found at the bottom of the page provided for the first paragraph of the assigned study. Those in the audience may volunteer by raising their hands, and answering when called upon by the conductor. However, the conductor may call upon someone in the congregation without that one’s volunteering.

It is assumed that all have studied the lesson in advance and know the answers as contained in the paragraphs. There are many who hesitate to volunteer a comment, but who will speak when called upon. This method may also cause some who have become negligent in advance study of the lesson to recover from the bad habit they have drifted into.

George

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

You make a good point, Blondie, some practices were not written down and may be lost to memory as older ones pass on. This could have been a case in point, were it not for the few references.

Thanks bsmart, interesting to hear from someone who can remember saying the Lord’s Prayer as a JW.

What is slightly confusing is that the book Let God Be True, published in 1946, already condemned the practice of repetitious prayers. I guess they didn’t think of the Lord’s Prayer in that category, at that time.

Also perhaps interesting to note that the early Christian document, The Didache, instructs believers to say the Lord’s Prayer three times a day.

• blondie
    blondie

SBF, I can remember the WTS saying that other religions "version" was not accurate too. The quotes help immensely, hang them with their own words. I did quite a bit of research of how the meetings were held back in the 20's and 30's, interviewed some jws from that time and they had no clue and were surprised when I showed them the quotes. Meetings changed quite a bit, originally only the Studies in the Scriptures were used in small home groups. At times, Russell and some selected speakers might go on a speaking tour. My grandparents attended one by Rutherford in 1920, only 15 jws in the congregation. Public talks were hit and miss because most male Bible Students did not have training in public speaking and the ministry school did not start until 1943. No Watchtower till some time later, 30's, WTs had no questions at first and the congregation members would submit questions to be used. Sunday meetings were in the early evening, and members when out all day in "field service" and then had a meeting. Sometimes they only got through 3 paragraphs because the conductor would get into a "discussion" with another brother over the meaning. It was a riot one sister told me. Bible studies were not really pushed until about 1940 when the WTS came out with booklets, Conducting a Model Study. Today's procedures and meetings are so far off from those days.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit