Did you get " Counseled " about the Music you Listened to While you were a JW ?

by flipper 87 Replies latest jw friends

• JustHuman14
    JustHuman14

Many times, since I was "famous" musician,,,,,and I did and still ROCK....yeah Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Beatles are always on the play list.

I was in wedding once, and I was asked to play couple of songs, and I did some good old rock and roll, and the CO who attended there asked me to stop!!!!

FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK......WE SALUTE YOU

KEEP ON ROCKING IN THE FREE WORLD

• flipper
    flipper
    JUST HUMAN 14- I agree with you indeed. Keep on rockin' in the free world for sure ! For those about to rock we DO salute you ! No matter WHAT the elders say ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper
  • talesin
    talesin
    TALESIN- Don't get me wrong- I think KISS was very entertaining - but personally not too talented musically I believe. But everybody is entitled to their opinions. LOL.

LOL back, because I never said they were uber-talented. Basic 3-chord band, with a brilliant business model Popularized glam rock.

:D

• Spectre
    Spectre

I made a facebook post a couple years ago that went something like: Thank god for websites like Song meanings .com so I can finally know what KISS's Rock And Roll All Night is about.

I deleted it after someone didn't get the joke and explained that is was probably about groupies.

• Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2

The Infamous 10-15-83 Watchtower Article-
    Beware of Music That Debases!
    “Instruct me, O Jehovah, in your way, and lead me in the path of uprightness.”—PSALM 27:11.
    JEHOVAH GOD graciously gave mankind the gift of music. This was a unique expression of his undeserved kindness, for although music is not needed to sustain life, it enables humans to express emotions—their sorrows, their joys. (Genesis 4:21) It can bring comfort when there is sadness or greater happiness in times of joy. Appropriately, then, James wrote fellow Christians: “Is there anyone in good spirits? Let him sing psalms.”—James 5:13.
    2 Singing and music have long been associated with the worship of Jehovah. His ancient people joyously praised him in song at times of deliverance. (Exodus 15:1-21; Judges 5:1-31) God directed the establishment of a musical organization for service at his temple. (Psalm 68:24-26) Jesus Christ and his apostles sang praises after the Lord’s Evening Meal. (Mark 14:26) The apostle Paul urged fellow Christians to express their sentiments in ‘spiritual songs, accompanying themselves with music in their hearts to Jehovah.’ (Ephesians 5:19) And to this day, singing is a regular feature of worship among witnesses of Jehovah.
    3 Music undeniably has power. It can reach hearts and stir emotions. So, worldly anthems and marches are used to arouse patriotic fervor. Worldly schools have “fight” songs to inspire athletes. Advertisers use catchy tunes to sell products. Such evidence of music’s power should put Christians on guard.
    Why a Need for Caution?
    4 Satan the Devil is also aware of music’s great power, and he sometimes uses it to affect the heart and lead people away from the pure worship of Jehovah. In this respect, therefore, loyal Christians need to ‘safeguard the heart, for out of it are the sources of life.’ (Proverbs 4:23) We must be especially careful that the music we listen to does not lead us away from “the path of uprightness” and into debased, God-dishonoring conduct.—Psalm 27:11.
    5 Jehovah has been very generous in giving humans the gift of music. But how often it has been misused! Therefore, in choosing music, we need to be very selective and discerning. Even without hearing the words, we can often tell what kind of spirit certain songs are designed to produce. From a distance, Moses could discern that music emanating from the Israelite camp was not ‘the singing over mighty performance or the singing of defeat.’ When he finally came to the camp and saw how the people were acting, he knew that the music had been of the kind that led to unrestrained idolatrous conduct. (Exodus 32:15-19, 25) So we today need to examine the kind of mood, or spirit, that the music we listen to is producing. Does it uplift us, or is it music that debases?
    6 The apostle Paul realized that Satan desires to debase or corrupt Jehovah’s people. Hence, Paul urged fellow believers to separate themselves from the unrighteous, and asked: “What fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what sharing does light have with darkness? Further, what harmony is there between Christ and Belial?” (2 Corinthians 6:14-17) Today, the Devil has cunningly been using various forms of unrighteousness in music, thereby endeavoring to seduce people into degraded conduct and thus turn them away from God. Dedicated witnesses of Jehovah need to be alert to these dangers.
    Have No Share With the Demons!
    7 In the field of music spiritual perils do exist. For instance, many popular musicians are involved in the occult. Some openly admit that they worship Satan, and satanic influence often shows up in their music and songs. But how can a Christian tell if demonic influence exists in certain music? It is sufficient in some cases to look at the cover of a record album. Depicted on it you may see characters dressed to look like witches, demons or devils. Or the cover may have pictures tending toward the mystical or the occult. The name of the musical group or of an album may indicate a connection with the demons, as may the titles and words of the songs. For example, what would you conclude from song titles such as “Sympathy for the Devil” and “Children of the Grave”? The New York Post reported that one such song was “a brazen admission” that the musicians were “working hand-in-glove with Satan.”
    8 There have also been recordings of unscriptural and even demonistic messages by means of a technique called backward masking, used by a number of musical groups. When the recording of one very popular song is played backward, it repeatedly says, “Decide to smoke marijuana.” If played backward, another popular recording carries this message: “I will sing because I live with Satan. . . . There’s no escaping it, my sweet Satan.”
    9 Normally, of course, people do not play recordings in reverse. Yet, when listening to certain musical records, either unscriptural or demonic ideas may be absorbed by a mind left open to improper suggestion. High Fidelity Magazine quoted a divisional head of one record company as saying: “The kind of receptivity needed for the new rock and the new classical are exactly the same. . . . You have to give yourself up to it and let them take your mind.” But is this wise? A spiritually unguarded mind can leave you open to intrusion by the demons!—Compare Matthew 12:43-45.
    10 To his beloved fellow believers the apostle Paul wrote: “The things which the nations sacrifice they sacrifice to demons, and not to God; and I do not want you to become sharers with the demons. You cannot be drinking the cup of Jehovah and the cup of demons; you cannot be partaking of ‘the table of Jehovah’ and the table of demons.” (1 Corinthians 10:20, 21) Immorality and involvement with spiritism, the occult or anything demonistic have no proper place in the life of a faithful Christian.—Deuteronomy 18:10-12; Galatians 5:19-21.
    11 In view of divinely inspired counsel, then, what should a Christian do if he discovers that he has musical recordings betraying demonic influence? Surely, he should destroy them, for Jehovah’s people must not be “sharers with the demons.” Under similar circumstances, early Christians at Ephesus acted without hesitation, for we read: “Indeed, quite a number of those who practiced magical arts brought their books together and burned them up before everybody. And they calculated together the prices of them and found them worth fifty thousand pieces of silver.” (Acts 19:19) Those “lovers of Jehovah” hated what was wicked and were not deterred by thoughts of material loss. Rather, to their great spiritual benefit, they destroyed possessions of demonistic nature.—Psalm 97:10.
    Avoid the World’s Spirit
    12 Neither should we overlook the worldly spirit of wild abandonment often associated with today’s music and musicians. (Compare Ephesians 2:1-7.) For instance, when one concert was canceled, thousands of fans rioted, The Toronto Star reporting: “They bombarded 268 policemen with bottles, chains and other missiles during a 30-minute rampage . . . They tore out 200 seats welded to steel posts and bolted to concrete. They heaved scores of metal chairs on stage. . . . They ripped out steel turnstiles, smashed windows in ticket booths and the Grandstand restaurant, and damaged several cars outside the stadium.” Should a Christian ever be in such company?
    13 At such performances alcohol and drugs are usually taken in freely. Additionally, the music and actions of the performers engender a spirit of wild abandonment. Clearly, the type of music played on such occasions, along with elements including demonism, drugs and violence, can only be debasing. Could a Christian, then, listen to the same music in his own home without being affected detrimentally? Hardly! And no faithful witness of Jehovah will ignore the Bible principle: “God is not one to be mocked. For whatever a man is sowing, this he will also reap.”—Galatians 6:7.
    14 Yet, some have felt: ‘I don’t listen to the music for the words; I just like the beat. It’s good to dance to.’ But there can be danger in this, too. According to The Times-Herald of Newport News, Virginia, “an avid disco dancer might dance all night to a hit song without noticing any more about the music than the pulsating beat and the hook line, a musician’s term for a catchy phrase that’s repeated frequently.” True, the music may have a catchy beat for dancing, but what are the words encouraging us to do? What is entering the listener’s mind? For example, how can a loyal witness of Jehovah dance to the music of a song that urges him, over and over again, to go and commit fornication?—1 Corinthians 6:9, 10.
    15 Of course, morally debased lyrics are not limited to rock and disco music. In many lands or localities there are forms of music that may be quite popular locally despite having a beat or using lyrics that true Christians may find quite objectionable. Concerning country music, an article in The News & Observer of Raleigh, North Carolina, states: “Honky tonk angels and cheatin’ men have always played their part in country songs, but never in the history of the music have their illicit affairs been so graphically depicted as they are today.” Alluding to another trend in popular but immoral music, The Spokesman-Review says: “Women are singing about sex in the night and sex on the dance floor and sex on the street corner.” Can such songs be anything but debasing?
    16 Never forget that the imperfect human heart is treacherous, desperate. (Jeremiah 17:9) Is your heart persuading you to listen to or dance to what you know to be wrong in Jehovah’s eyes? If so, beware! Prayerfully seek God’s help so that you can ‘keep on making sure of what is acceptable to the Lord and quit sharing in the works belonging to the darkness.’ (Ephesians 5:10-12; Psalm 5:1, 2) Your firm refusal to listen to or dance to sexually debased music may even serve to reprove others whose heart may be misleading them.
    17 Those immersed in the spirit of this wicked system of things may take delight in sexually debased music. But how could this possibly be true of faithful Christians? They are counseled: “Let fornication and uncleanness of every sort or greediness not even be mentioned among you, just as it befits holy people.” (Ephesians 5:3) Have we fittingly ‘repudiated ungodliness and worldly desires’? Then let us watch not only what we say but also what we listen to, so that it does not include songs about immorality. Let us “live with soundness of mind and righteousness and godly devotion amid this present system of things.”—Titus 2:11-14.
    18 But how do you personally feel about worldly musicians? Ask yourself: Do I imitate some of them in my dress, grooming and speech? How much of my conversation is about them and their music? Am I idolizing them by wearing T-shirts or jackets that advertise such performers, or even by hanging their pictures or posters in my room? Does this please Jehovah, to whom my reverence should go? Am I following the Bible’s plain counsel to “flee from idolatry”?—1 Corinthians 10:14; Romans 1:24, 25.
    Distinguish Between Right and Wrong
    19 The apostle Paul wrote: “Solid food belongs to mature people, to those who through use have their perceptive powers trained to distinguish both right and wrong.” (Hebrews 5:14) Christian parents and youths need to use properly trained perceptive powers to distinguish between right and wrong. They need to recognize and thoroughly reject the deceptive enticements of debasing music. As the “anything goes” moral code becomes more entrenched in this Devil-dominated world and its music, witnesses of Jehovah, young and old, must become ever more decisive in aligning their lives with the high standards of their heavenly Father.—Psalm 119:9-16; 1 John 5:19.
    20 Never forget that music has power. It can affect the heart. Do you see yourself getting caught up in the spirit of questionable worldly songs? Then act promptly to safeguard your heart. If you are a youth, discuss the situation with your Christian parents. Also, pray fervently to Jehovah for help by means of his holy spirit.—Proverbs 4:23; Luke 11:13; Galatians 5:22-24.
    21 Parents, what are you doing to help your children to distinguish between acceptable music and the debasing kind? As Christians, can you properly allow them to listen to songs featuring demonism, sexual immorality, drug abuse and violence? Well, then, before buying a record or allowing your children to listen to certain music, take the time to examine the album cover to see if it gives evidence of corrupt influences. Consider the titles and the lyrics of the songs. If the songs are debasing, discuss this kindly with your youngsters. You might point out that all Christians should be ‘babes as to badness but full-grown in powers of understanding,’ not seeking knowledge of vile things or filling their minds with debasing ideas. (1 Corinthians 14:20) After such a discussion, doubtless you and your children will get rid of any Scripturally objectionable records in your possession and together resolve that never again will you listen to debasing music.
    22 There is a wide variety of Scripturally acceptable and upbuilding music, including delightful Kingdom songs enjoyed by Jehovah’s Witnesses worldwide. So we are not missing anything worthwhile by rejecting music that debases. By a regular study of the Bible and related Christian publications, may we train our perceptive powers to distinguish between right and wrong. Then let us cling to what is right. If any music conflicts with God’s righteous standards, reject it. Yield to his instruction and be firm in staying on “the path of uprightness.” (Psalm 27:11) By all means, beware of music that debases! At the same time, may your personal choice of music be a praise to God, who “furnishes us all things richly for our enjoyment.”—1 Timothy 6:17.
    How Would You Answer?
    □ What evidence do we have that music has power?
    □ How can you tell if there is demonic influence in certain music?
    □ What should be done if you have musical recordings betraying demonic influence?
    □ If a person’s heart is moving him to listen to or dance to debasing music, what help is there?
    □ How can Christian parents help their children to avoid music that debases?
    [Study Questions]
     1. How is Jehovah’s gift of music unique?
     2. Music and song have had what relationship with Jehovah’s worship?
     3. What evidence is there that music has power?
     4. As regards music, concerning what must worshipers of Jehovah be especially careful?
     5. In choosing music, why should we be very selective?
     6. How has the Devil been using some music, and so what words of Paul are particularly noteworthy?
     7. How can a Christian tell if there is demonic influence in certain music?
     8. By means of backward masking, what kind of messages have been put in some musical recordings?
     9. Ideas of what kind can be absorbed when one listens to certain kinds of music, and how can this be dangerous?
    10. How should faithful Christians view anything demonistic?
    11. What should a Christian do if he discovers that he has demonistic musical recordings?
    12, 13. (a) What worldly spirit often is associated with present-day music and musicians, and how has this been displayed? (b) How should Jehovah’s Witnesses apply Galatians 6:7?
    14. Why is it not fitting to listen to and dance to a song suggesting immoral conduct?
    15. What debasing trends are there in modern music?
    16. What help is there for a person whose heart is moving him to listen to or dance to sexually debased music?
    17. As regards music, how do you think we can apply the counsel at (a) Ephesians 5:3? (b) Titus 2:11-14?
    18. Regarding our attitude toward certain musicians, what questions might be asked?
    19. With respect to music, how should properly trained perceptive powers be used?
    20. What is recommended in the case of a young person who is getting caught up in the spirit of questionable songs?
    21. How can Christian parents help their children to avoid debasing music?
    22. (a) Why are we not missing anything worthwhile by rejecting music that debases? (b) What should be our attitude and viewpoint in choosing music?
    [Picture on page 12]
    Debasing music is not for Jehovah’s people
    [Picture on page 14]
    Should true Christians imitate worldly musicians in dress, grooming and life-style?
  • Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2
    And then, 10 years later, because we are all too stupid to make our own choices:

*** w93 4/15 pp. 19-24 Guard Against Unwholesome Music! ***
    Guard Against Unwholesome Music!
    “Keep strict watch that how you walk is not as unwise but as wise persons, buying out the opportune time for yourselves, because the days are wicked.” —EPHESIANS 5:15, 16.
    “MUSIC . . . is a divine gift.” So wrote Lulu Rumsey Wiley in her book Bible Music. From earliest times, God-fearing men and women have recognized this sentiment. Through music, man has expressed his deepest emotions—joy, sorrow, outrage, and love. Music thus played an important role in Bible times, being mentioned throughout that sacred book.—Genesis 4:21; Revelation 18:22.
    2 It was in the worship of Jehovah that music found its noblest expression. Some of the loftiest expressions of praise ever made to Jehovah God were originally set to music. “I will praise the name of God with song,” wrote the psalmist David. (Psalm 69:30) Music was used in solitude as an accompaniment to prayerful reflection. “I will remember my string music in the night; with my heart I will show concern, and my spirit will carefully search,” wrote Asaph. (Psalm 77:6) In Jehovah’s temple, music was organized on a grand scale. (1 Chronicles 23:1-5; 2 Chronicles 29:25, 26) At times, massive musical forces were marshaled, such as at the temple dedication, when 120 trumpeters were employed. (2 Chronicles 5:12, 13) We have no record of how this majestic music sounded, but the book The Music of the Bible observes: “It will not be difficult to form an opinion of the general effect of Temple music on solemn occasions . . . If one of us could now be transported into the midst of such a scene, an overpowering sense of awe and sublimity would be inevitable.”
    The Abuse of Music
    3 Music was not always put to such a lofty use, however. At Mount Sinai, music was used to spur on the idolatrous worship of a golden calf. (Exodus 32:18) Music was also on occasion linked with drunken behavior and even prostitution. (Psalm 69:12; Isaiah 23:15) Israel’s pagan neighbors were no less guilty of abusing this divine gift. “In Phoenicia and Syria,” says The Interpreter’s Dictionary of the Bible, “almost all popular music reflected the worship of Ishtar, the goddess of fertility. Thus, popular song was usually a prelude to sexual orgies.” The ancient Greeks likewise used music to accompany popular “erotic dances.”
    4 Yes, music has the power to move, to enthrall, and to influence. Decades ago, John Stainer’s book The Music of the Bible even went so far as to claim: “No art is exercising such a strong influence over the human race at the present time as the art of Music.” Music continues to exercise a potent influence today. Hence, the wrong kind of music can pose a real danger for God-fearing youths.
    A Need for Caution
    5 If you are a young person, then you well know how important music—particularly various forms of pop or rock music—is to many your age. Music has even been called “part of teenage metabolism.” It is estimated that in his last six years of school, the average youth in the United States will listen to over four hours of rock music a day! That surely shows a lack of balance. It is not that there is anything wrong with enjoying something that makes you feel good or happy. Certainly Jehovah, the Creator of joyous music, does not expect young people to be sullen and miserable. In fact, he commands his people: “Rejoice in Jehovah and be joyful, you righteous ones; and cry out joyfully, all you who are upright in heart.” (Psalm 32:11) To young ones his Word says: “Rejoice, young man, in your youth, and let your heart do you good in the days of your young manhood.”—Ecclesiastes 11:9.
    6 Nevertheless, there is good reason for you to be cautious in your choice of music. The apostle Paul said at Ephesians 5:15, 16: “Keep strict watch that how you walk is not as unwise but as wise persons, buying out the opportune time for yourselves, because the days are wicked.” Some youths might object, as did one young girl: “Our parents got to listen to their music when they were young. Why can’t we listen to ours?” Some of the music your parents enjoyed at your age may also have had its objectionable aspects. Upon close examination, many of the popular standards turn out to have a surprising number of sexual innuendos and veiled references to immorality. But what was once only hinted at is now described explicitly. Observes one writer: “Children are now bombarded with explicit messages on a scale unlike anything our culture has ever seen.”
    Rap Music—The Music of Rebellion
    7 Consider, for example, the current rage of rap music. According to Time magazine, rap has become “a certifiable, global rhythm revolution” and is enormously popular in Brazil, Europe, Japan, Russia, and the United States. Often completely devoid of melody, its lyrics are spoken, not sung, to the accompaniment of a powerful beat. It is that driving beat, though, that seems to be the secret of rap’s great commercial success. “When I listen to rap music,” says one Japanese youth, “I feel excited, and when I’m dancing, I feel free.”
    8 Rap lyrics—often a brash mixture of profanity and street slang—seem to be another reason for the popularity of rap. Unlike traditional rock lyrics, many of which dwell on the subject of teenage romance, rap lyrics often have a more serious message. Some rap speaks out against injustice, racism, and police brutality. At times, though, the rhyming refrains are stated in the most foul, shocking language imaginable. Rap also seems to constitute a rebellion against standards of dress, grooming, and sexual morality. Not surprisingly, rap has become a life-style in its own right. Its adherents are identified by their flamboyant gestures, street slang, and garb—baggy jeans, unlaced high-top sneakers, gold chains, baseball caps, and dark glasses.
    9 At Ephesians 5:10, Christians are told to “keep on making sure of what is acceptable to the Lord.” Considering the reputation rap has made for itself, do you think it would be “acceptable to the Lord” for you to get involved with it? Would a Christian youth want to be identified with a life-style that is deemed unacceptable even by many people of the world? Note how one reviewer described a rap concert: “The rap singers vied with one another for shock appeal with profanity and explicit sexual lyrics. . . . Male and female dancers simulated sex acts on the stage.” Regarding a certain headline act, one of the concert promoters said: “Every other word out of their mouth is (obscene).”
    10 Even so, the music played that evening was hardly considered out of the mainstream of rap. Said the concert hall director: “What you are hearing is average rap—the same as they’re buying in the stores.” How sad it is to report that among the 4,000 and more youths in attendance at that concert were some who claim to be Jehovah’s Witnesses! Some have apparently taken lightly the fact that Satan is “the ruler of the authority of the air.” He governs “the spirit [or, dominant mental attitude] that now operates in the sons of disobedience.” (Ephesians 2:2) Whose interests would you serve if you became involved with rap music or the rap life-style? Granted, some rap may be less objectionable in content. But does it make sense to cultivate a taste for any type of music that is predominantly offensive to Christian standards?
    Heavy Metal—Sex, Violence, and Satanism
    11 Another popular form of music is heavy metal. Heavy metal is more than high-decibel hard rock. Says a report in The Journal of the American Medical Association: “Heavy metal music . . . features a loud pulsating rhythm and abounds with lyrics that glorify hatred, abuse, sexual deviancy, and occasionally satanism.” Why, the names alone of some of the more popular bands testify to the depravity of this brand of rock. They include such words as “poison,” “guns,” and “death.” Yet, heavy metal seems fairly tame in comparison with thrash metal and death metal—fringe musical genres spawned by heavy metal. The names of these bands exploit terms like “cannibal” and “obituary.” Youths in many lands may not realize how repulsive these names are because they are in English or another foreign language.
    12 Heavy metal music has repeatedly been linked with teen suicide, depression, and drug use. Its connection with violent behavior caused one radio consultant to dub it “music to kill your parents by.” It is the connection with Satanism that alarms many parents—and police officers. One investigator claimed that some youths dabbling in satanic worship were initiated into the occult through this music. “They don’t know what they are getting into,” he concludes.
    13 Christian youths, however, should not be “ignorant of [Satan’s] designs.” (2 Corinthians 2:11) After all, “we have a wrestling . . . against the wicked spirit forces in the heavenly places.” (Ephesians 6:12) How foolish it would be, by one’s choice of music, to invite the demons into one’s life! (1 Corinthians 10:20, 21) Yet, a number of Christian youths are evidently quite fond of this music. Some have even resorted to covert means to satisfy their musical tastes. Confesses one young girl: “I used to listen to heavy metal, sometimes almost all night long. I would buy heavy metal [fan] magazines and hide them from my parents in shoe boxes. I lied to my parents. I know Jehovah was not pleased with me.” She was brought to her senses by an article in Awake! magazine. How many other youths might still be ensnared by such music?
    Reaping What You Sow
    14 Do not minimize the danger such music can impose. True, you might not be inclined to kill someone or to commit sexual immorality just because you listened to a song. Nevertheless, Galatians 6:8 says: “He who is sowing with a view to his flesh will reap corruption from his flesh.” Listening to music that is earthly, animalistic, and even demonic can only have a negative impact on you. (Compare James 3:15.) Professor of music Joseph Stuessy is quoted as saying: “Any kind of music affects our moods, emotions, attitudes and our resultant behavior . . . Anyone who says, ‘I can listen to heavy metal, but it doesn’t affect me,’ is simply wrong. It simply affects different people in different degrees and different ways.”
    15 One Christian youth admits: “I was caught up in thrash metal so bad that my entire personality changed.” Soon he began experiencing problems with the demons. “I finally got rid of my albums and was released by the demons.” Confesses another youth: “The music I used to listen to dealt with either spiritism, drugs, or sex. Many youths say it doesn’t affect them, but it really does. I was virtually out of the truth.” A proverb asks: “Can a man rake together fire into his bosom and yet his very garments not be burned?”—Proverbs 6:27.
    Keep on Guard
    16 Paul wrote to Christians in ancient Ephesus: “This, therefore, I say and bear witness to in the Lord, that you no longer go on walking just as the nations also walk in the unprofitableness of their minds, while they are in darkness mentally, and alienated from the life that belongs to God, because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the insensibility of their hearts.” (Ephesians 4:17, 18) Could not this be said of the writers and performers of much of today’s music? More than ever, music of all genres reflects the influence of “the god of this system of things,” Satan the Devil.—2 Corinthians 4:4.
    17 Concerning the “last days,” the Bible predicted: “Wicked men and impostors will advance from bad to worse.” (2 Timothy 3:1, 13) More than ever, then, you need to keep strict watch over what music you choose. Often, the unsavory title will disqualify an album. Job 12:11 asks: “Does not the ear itself test out words as the palate tastes food?” In a similar way, you can test out music by listening to a sample with a critical ear. What kind of feelings does the melody arouse in you? Does it promote wild, decadent behavior—the spirit of revelry? (Galatians 5:19-21) What about the lyrics? Do they promote sexual immorality, drug use, or other wrongs that are “shameful even to relate?” (Ephesians 5:12) The Bible says that such things should “not even be mentioned” among God’s people, much less set to a beat and repeated over and over again. (Ephesians 5:3) What about the album-jacket design? Does it contain spiritistic themes or sexually arousing pictures?
    18 Perhaps you need to make some changes in the type of music you choose. If you have records, tapes, and discs that carry immoral and demonistic themes, you should immediately dispose of them. (Compare Acts 19:19.) This does not mean that you cannot enjoy music; not all popular music is objectionable. Some youths have also learned to broaden their musical tastes and now enjoy certain classical, folk, light jazz, and other forms of music. The Kingdom Melodies tapes have helped many youths develop a taste for uplifting orchestral music.
    19 Music is a divine gift. For many, though, it becomes an unhealthy preoccupation. These are like the Israelites of old who enjoyed the playing of “stringed instrument, tambourine and flute, . . . but the activity of Jehovah they [did] not look at.” (Isaiah 5:12) Make it your aim to keep music in its place and let the activity of Jehovah be your main concern. Be selective and careful about the music you choose. Thus you will be able to use—not abuse—this divine gift.
    [Footnotes]
    The nation of Israel apparently excelled in the art of music. An Assyrian relief reveals that King Sennacherib demanded Israelite musicians as tribute from King Hezekiah. Notes Grove’s Dictionary of Music and Musicians: “To demand musicians as tribute . . . was unusual indeed.”
    Do You Remember?
    □ Why can music be called a divine gift?
    □ How was music abused in ancient times?
    □ What dangers do rap and heavy metal music present to Christian youths?
    □ How can Christian youths exercise care in their choice of music?
    [Study Questions]
     1. Why can music be called “a divine gift”?
     2. How was music used to praise Jehovah in Bible times?
     3, 4. In what way was the gift of music abused by God’s people and their pagan neighbors?
     5. (a) How big a role does music play in the lives of many teenagers? (b) What is God’s view of young people enjoying themselves?
     6. (a) Why do youths need to be cautious in their choice of music? (b) Why is much of the music today more objectionable than the music of previous generations?
     7, 8. (a) What is rap music, and what accounts for its popularity? (b) What might identify a person as adhering to the rap life-style?
     9, 10. (a) What factors should youths consider in determining if rap music and its life-style are “acceptable to the Lord”? (b) What do some Christian youths seem to take lightly?
    11, 12. What is heavy metal music, and what objectionable features characterize it?
    13. What is the danger in becoming involved with heavy metal music?
    14, 15. Why can we be sure that listening to unwholesome music will have a negative effect? Illustrate.
    16. What can be said of the writers and performers of much of today’s music?
    17. How can youths adjudge, or test out, music?
    18. (a) What changes may some youths have to make when it comes to music? (b) How can youths cultivate a taste for more wholesome music?
    19. Why is it important to keep music in its place?
    [Picture on page 23]
    In Bible times, music was often used as a means of bringing praise to Jehovah
  • baker
    baker
    i am surrorruned by WT tunes every where i go. I turn it off and my partner turns it 0h and says something like what wwrong with the over musix... Nothing, i just like to hear road repairs t0 avoid
  • flipper
    flipper

TALESIN- LOL back with you. I get what you're saying sister . Peace & love.

SPECTRE- Exactly, yeah no doubt very true what you say. LOL.

CAPTAIN SCHMIDEO- Thanks for the quotes from WT's showing how ridiculously stupid WT Society's views of controlling people's music listening really is.

BAKER- That must be hard to be surrounded by WT tunes wherever you go. I believe I'd off myself if I had to listen to those JW tunes constantly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit