Falcon Heavy

by Coded Logic 43 Replies latest social current

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Outahere I understand your point and in many ways I feel that way but is this not a defeates attitude? The same greed and hate will follow human kind out into the stars. Will that not still cause the same problems elsewhere on a another planet? Just thinking. Still Totally ADD

• Simon
    Simon
    Wow Simon, you're a grade A idiot

This, folks, is what happens when you voice your objection to leftist ideologies. You are then attacked for any opinion, even the most sensible ones imaginable - such as "wouldn't looking after the earth be the best thing to do". Ironically, a principle that the left shares (in theory) but then they can't help but object to anything that anyone they have labelled 'conservative' says.

I'm quite sure Coded Logic that I'm not an idiot, even a grade A one. Please review the posting / community guidelines and refrain from personal attacks like this in future.

• Simon
    Simon

I'm struggling to see the amazing advancement in all this. It's really just that a rocket landed, right?

I mean we've been sending things into space and had men walking on the moon nearly 50 years ago. So it's just the re-usable rockets that are the new thing, right?

It's a pity that something more useful was put up instead of a car, pure publicity stunt. I get that there is 'risk' to the payload on a maiden flight but there could have been lots of cheap, useful payloads sent up instead of something that just adds to the debris now littering earth's orbit. Maybe something that could do some cleanup? Now that would have been impressive.

• out4good4
    out4good4
    Where are all the conspiracy theorists ,fake news people ready to debunk this achievement ? I`m sure their out there.

Don't worry. They're coming!!!

• Outahere
    Outahere
    Wow Simon, you're a grade A idiot.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic
    I'm struggling to see the amazing advancement in all this. It's really just that a rocket landed, right?

Nope. It's not "just a rocket that landed." It's the implications of re-usability. It's the cost reduction. It's much larger payloads. It's a technology demonstrator for dozens of motors on a single rocket. It's a pathway to the Interplanetary Transport System (BFR). It's the ability to put up giant space telescopes. Etc. Etc. Etc.

"Just a rocket landed" folks, this is what happens when your mind is vandalized by Fox News. You learn to disparage accomplishments by dismissing them as simplistic and insignificant. And you corrupt hope and optimism - with cynicism and distrust.

• Outahere
    Outahere
    I mean we've been sending things into space and had men walking on the moon nearly 50 years ago. So it's just the re-usable rockets that are the new thing, right?
    It's a pity that something more useful was put up instead of a car, pure publicity stunt. I get that there is 'risk' to the payload on a maiden flight but there could have been lots of cheap, useful payloads sent up instead of something that just adds to the debris now littering earth's orbit. Maybe something that could do some cleanup? Now that would have been impressive

It's kind of a big deal. Yes we did things like these 50 years ago, but there's a much higher level of refinement, meaning reusability and lower costs.

It's like saying, on the maiden flight of a new airplane capable of cheap long distance travel for the first time "didn't the Wright brothers fly an airplane decades ago?"

With lower costs comes greater access to space and whatever it is we want to do--things like better internet access for example. Furthermore, this is a largely private company. It will be joined soon by Bezos' Blue Origin, Allen's Stratolaunch, and Virgin Galactic, provided they all execute.

As for the car, you hit on the reason it was the payload. But it won't be in our vicinity for long. It's going out into deep space.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    "Just a rocket landed" folks, this is what happens when your mind is vandalized by Fox News.

Really? Why be a douche and make this somehow political? Since, however, you want to be political it was a replican president who ended the shuttle program and pushed for the private sector to take up the cause of sending payloads into space. Your welcome.

If, however, we can just enjoy the ingenuity and science, that was epic! When they (space x) finally got one to land the first time i watch it over and over... its so phenominal. The tech alone is worth pursuing and associated applications that come from it, no matter if we ever colonize mars or the moon or not.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic
    Really? Why be a douche and make this somehow political

Please see Simons first post. I'm NOT the one who made it political.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Simon, cant we do both?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit