Now I'm Convinced There Probably Is No God

by pale.emperor 60 Replies latest jw experiences

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Yesterday I made a visit to the museum in my city. The top floor is the planetarium, which has a connecting room with a HUGE dome ceiling where they project lessons and lectures and you have a 360 view of the night sky etc.

This particular lecture explained about our galaxy, and how it's only one of billions in the universe. And then we learned about each planet, some of their moons and the sun. And how the sun will eventually cool and expand and engulf and destroy our planet and others.

Then it was explained about ancient civilizations and how they relied on the stars and because they were so in awe created stories and myths etc about them.

Watching it made me feel rather foolish for ever believing in a God in the first place. Billions of galaxies, billions of stars, one of those stars is our sun, and somewhere a little speck of dust happens to be our earth and somewhere on there is little old me. And, allegedly, Jehovah created it through his son Jesus (Michael) and gets upset if i dont underline my Watchtower? And is really bothered whether i pray to him or not? The idea is absurd to me.

And now, after realizing how fragile our planet is and how fleeting and precious life is I have zero intention of living in guilt for not pleasing him. I mean, he seems to get very upset quite easily. I was looking up at those stars and thinking... "and im supposed to believe that Jesus did this?"

• darkspilver
  • Saethydd
    Saethydd

Here this should help you complete your transition to self-awareness.

I would also recommend Neil Degrasse Tyson's Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey if you wish to expand on your cosmic perspective.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

It shows both how special and how insignificant we are, doesn't it. One could argue that our planet and the life on it must be for a purpose, or that an anomaly happened. That's why I just stopped believing one way or another. I'm here, and trying to live a good life. If there's more behind everything so be it, if not, so be it. None of that is in my control and I no longer worry about it.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor
    You're correct

Thanks Saethydd, i'll check them out.
  • sir82
    sir82

And, allegedly, Jehovah created it through his son Jesus (Michael) and gets upset if i dont underline my Watchtower? And is really bothered whether i pray to him or not?

You think that peeves him off, you should see his reaction if you wear tight pants.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    And now, after realizing how fragile our planet is and how fleeting and precious life is I have zero intention of living in guilt for not pleasing him. I mean, he seems to get very upset quite easily.

Join the gang.

a person is free to believe what they want, it's none of my business.

I just can't believe in a god that won't cure things like bone cancer in children but will watch me to make sure I don't masturbate. Then if I do have one off the wrist, he'll kill me.

The god concept no longer makes sense to me.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Join the gang.

a person is free to believe what they want, it's none of my business.

I just can't believe in a god that won't cure things like bone cancer in children but will watch me to make sure I don't masturbate. Then if I do have one off the wrist, he'll kill me.

The god concept no longer makes sense to me.

I know right? Years ago i would look at the stars and the plants etc and say how perfectly designed they are by Jehovah. Now i see that the universe and nature is very brutal and violent - beautiful, yes, but absolutely brutal. Every little insect and animal has or will die in a horrific way. Eaten alive by a predator or hunted and killed for food.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

So true!!

• Heaven
    Heaven

From Carl Sagan's "Cosmos" series, his 'Pale Blue Dot' segment is very eloquent and intellectually honest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b58SfRphkKc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit