Just woke up turn TV on to hear yet another nut case with a gun.

by Still Totally ADD 146 Replies latest jw friends

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Whilst there are lots of grey areas around gun ownership there is a simple reality. Every year thousands of people die as a result of gun related incidents in the US, far more than per capita than most other countries, especially if you look at moderate democratic countries in Europe.

If nothing changes in the way America approaches gun ownership either legislatively or culturally then America will have to accept that incidents like Columbine, Sandy Hook, Orlando, Virgina Tech and Las Vegas etc are going to continue to happen. By accepting that the incidents will happen then by implication you are accepting that this is the price to be paid for maintaining the gun culture that exists.

I am not advocating changing laws for the sake of it, especially when the root problems for a specific crime may lie outside of what can be legislated (e.g. mental health or criminal activity for example). I understand that for those determined to do something then the law is no deterrent. I also understand that removing guns does not remove the threat of death through some other criminal and violent act.

What I don't understand is the apparent lack of will to formulate some kind of change. Those like the NRA simply throw the same arguments out that absolve anyone with a gun of any responsibility. Politicians can do nothing due to the gun lobby. Those representing the so called responsible gun owning citizens want to maintain a position where there is no restriction to the type, quantity and capability of weapon available.

Just because the problem is complex does not mean those with a vested interest cannot even try to work things out to have some positive effect on it. From what I can see, everytime something like Vegas happens the gun lobby put their hands over their ears and shout "lalalalalalala nothing to do with us". Change is formulated through discussion, compromise and a willingness to accept responsibility where responsibility is due. This seems totally lacking in how the gun lobby approach the problem.

As for the argument that citizens need assault rifles cos the bad guys have them.... that's what the police and army are for.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Anyone here ever read about Eric Holder, Oboma, And the whole fast and the furious atf debacle?? You can thank those idiots for getting fully auto weapons to the worst people more than any gun dealer. Look it up

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard
    Whilst there are lots of grey areas around gun ownership there is a simple reality. Every year thousands of people die as a result of gun related incidents in the US, far more than per capita than most other countries, especially if you look at moderate democratic countries in Europe.

Here we go. Statistics... we can argue over these for months. For example, are you including suicide in those gun deaths? Are you considering all the prevented crime (good guys with guns) doesn't get put on air? Are you considering net effect on crime in general? It is complex. There are many, many interconnecting variables. Having government lawmakers fuss with them like dials and levers often makes it worse because of unforeseen consequences.

If nothing changes in the way America approaches gun ownership either legislatively or culturally then America will have to accept that incidents like Columbine, Sandy Hook, Orlando, Virgina Tech and Las Vegas etc are going to continue to happen. By accepting that the incidents will happen then by implication you are accepting that this is the price to be paid for maintaining the gun culture that exists.

If you are not proposing changing the law, then you are proposing changing the culture. How do you manage that? What does it mean to change the culture? What ideas are toxic in the culture specifically?

I am not advocating changing laws for the sake of it, especially when the root problems for a specific crime may lie outside of what can be legislated (e.g. mental health or criminal activity for example). I understand that for those determined to do something then the law is no deterrent. I also understand that removing guns does not remove the threat of death through some other criminal and violent act.

Fair enough.

What I don't understand is the apparent lack of will to formulate some kind of change. Those like the NRA simply throw the same arguments out that absolve anyone with a gun of any responsibility. Politicians can do nothing due to the gun lobby. Those representing the so called responsible gun owning citizens want to maintain a position where there is no restriction to the type, quantity and capability of weapon available.

The "nutters" are always on the defensive, that's why. The blood from these people hasn't even dried on their lifeless bodies and the left comes out and wants to ban guns. There can't be a discussion about what might actually ail the patient when the left wants to cover him with leeches.

So far I have not seen a report detailing the type of weapon used here. Everyone seems to think it was automatic, and not legal. What does that imply? In other words, there are limits. Yet, this ass hole got around them. The limits didn't matter.

Here is an interesting exercise. Google how to convert a semi-automatic AR-15 to fully automatic. I found a YouTube video on how to do it. And I found a document outlining how to make your own AR-15 block. All you need are some good machining tools, most of which you can get at Sears.

Just because the problem is complex does not mean those with a vested interest cannot even try to work things out to have some positive effect on it.

I agree. But it does mean there will be a simple legislative "fix".

From what I can see, everytime something like Vegas happens the gun lobby put their hands over their ears and shout "lalalalalalala nothing to do with us".

No, they make a lot of noise in response to talks about gun bans.

Change is formulated through discussion, compromise and a willingness to accept responsibility where responsibility is due. This seems totally lacking in how the gun lobby approach the problem.

Responsibility for the Vegas shooting lies directly on the shoulders of shooter. It does not fall on the second amendment or "nutters". I do agree there should be a discussion.

In any case, I still appreciate your post, so I +1ed it.

• TD
    TD

So far I have not seen a report detailing the type of weapon used here.

I believe the opinion of law enforcement now is that they were a collection of regular semi-autos, one of which was equipped with a Slide Fire.

Devices designed to circumvent the law should (IMO) be illegal

• MeanMrMustard
  • konceptual99
    konceptual99
    Here we go. Statistics... we can argue over these for months....

Agreed that statistics can prove anything but however you slice and dice it the US has significantly more guns per head of population and more gun related homicides than any European country

For some example figures see here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Here in the UK the only times I am likely to encounter a firearm in a public place is if there is an armed police officer. Yes I will find shotguns at a clay shooting club, I could join a gun club and shoot various weapons etc. but even then I would never encounter a semi or fully automatic weapon.

The US is unique amongst most nations in North America and Europe in terms of the likelihood of being close to someone carrying a gun in public. Even in countries with higher levels of gun ownership like Seribia or Sweden the type of weapons will generally be orientated to hunting, highly controlled in public and assault weapons very hard to come across for the average citizen.

For example, if you take a legally owned air rifle out in public not in a suitable case then you are not only breaking the law, you risk being shot by armed police. In the US you see private militia armed with semi-automatic weapons involved in situations that would typically be the domain of the police. I get these guys are acting legally but it's a very different culture to other places and fosters an attitude that anyone within reason is perfectly sound to bear such weapons.

So far I have not seen a report detailing the type of weapon used here. Everyone seems to think it was automatic, and not legal. What does that imply? In other words, there are limits. Yet, this ass hole got around them. The limits didn't matter.

Agreed, but if someone wanted to go on a shooting rampage here they would struggle to get hold of a suitable weapon and ammo unless they were well connected in the criminal underworld. If this scumbag had only had relatively easy access to handguns then there is no way he could have done what he did.

Granted he might have hijacked a semi and trailer with his handgun and ploughed into the crowds but as I was saying, just because evil will always try and find a way it doesn't mean that society should not try and do what it can.

Responsibility for the Vegas shooting lies directly on the shoulders of shooter. It does not fall on the second amendment or "nutters". I do agree there should be a discussion.

Agreed. The NRA or anyone else in the gun lobby is not directly responsible and of course no sane person condones what this guy did. Knee jerk legislation will not work but if the will of the American people is to prevent these events from happening, minimise the risk and scale of attacks then there has to be dialogue. Perhaps there is legislation that could help. I would say there has to be a cultural change and that can only come from within the community of people that most cherish the right to bear arms, IMHO it is only when those who wish to have the right to own any quantity of whatever they like start to put the rights of the nation as a whole to be safer that a real cultural shift will happen.

In any case, I still appreciate your post, so I +1ed it.

+1 to you as well

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard
    Agreed that statistics can prove anything but however you slice and dice it the US has significantly more guns per head of population and more gun related homicides than any European country
    For some example figures see here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Did you notice that if you remove suicides, you lose about 60% of the gun deaths (at least in the US)?

In the US you see private militia armed with semi-automatic weapons involved in situations that would typically be the domain of the police. I get these guys are acting legally but it's a very different culture to other places and fosters an attitude that anyone within reason is perfectly sound to bear such weapons.

These private militia are not nearly as common as you think. The vast majority of gun owners are not in a militia. They are just people, like the kind that got shot up the other day.

Knee jerk legislation will not work but if the will of the American people is to prevent these events from happening, minimise the risk and scale of attacks then there has to be dialogue. Perhaps there is legislation that could help. I would say there has to be a cultural change and that can only come from within the community of people that most cherish the right to bear arms, IMHO it is only when those who wish to have the right to own any quantity of whatever they like start to put the rights of the nation as a whole to be safer that a real cultural shift will happen.

Here is the crux of the matter. I have read the above about 10 times. I would really like to know what you mean by a "cultural change" specifically. From above it really sounds like those that "most cherish the right to bear arms" should start to put the "rights of the nation as a whole" first by changing their mind on cherishing guns. In other words, the cultural change you speak of is having everyone agree to give up owning weapons. Correct me if I am wrong.

Also, what does it mean for the "nation as a whole" to have rights? What is the right that a nation has in this case?

• honest
    honest

Glad Australia has one of the strictest gun laws in the world. We have seen such a huge decrease in gun related crimes. us Aussies don't understand why America won't implement the same?

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@honest:

Yes, but you have spiders that eat dingos... very very large spiders. Like this:

If I lived in AU, I would want a gun... fully automatic.... hold nothing back from this horrible creature .... good lord.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    Here is the crux of the matter. I have read the above about 10 times. I would really like to know what you mean by a "cultural change" specifically. From above it really sounds like those that "most cherish the right to bear arms" should start to put the "rights of the nation as a whole" first by changing their mind on cherishing guns. In other words, the cultural change you speak of is having everyone agree to give up owning weapons. Correct me if I am wrong.

I think the cultural change required should be focused in two areas.

Firstly is in the attitude to dialogue and debate. My impression is that the broad camps of pro and anti gun ownership are in complete and utter ideological standoff. The debate is heated, aggressive and polarised - with very little real effort to find common ground, reach compromise and discuss what the end point should be and what the road map to achieving it really us.

Of course this is not entirely the fault of the pro gun lobby and I get that the anti-gun lobby can be as vociferous and dogmatic as anyone but what I see is bullish rhetoric, often centred on the 2nd amendment right to bear arms and epitomised by that Charlton Heston "cold, dead hands" quote.

I think that there needs to be a move away from this defensive, entrenched position - from both sides. I think it is better to accept that the 2nd amendment is not likely to change any time soon, that guns are part of life in the US and that it's better to look at what Americans want America to be like and work out how you do that together.

The second area is in access to high powered, semi automatic assault type weapons. Sure a handgun can kill but the scale of harm is reduced and the assailant far more easily contained by law enforcement or even, dare I say it, competent members of the public. I think that for the sake of the nation people should accept that ownership of and access to these type of weapons should be far more controlled than it is.

It's a bit like the rules around speeding. The German autobahn laws demonstrate that allowing people to do whatever speed they like does not automatically mean carnage on the roads however most countries put a speed limit in place to help moderate the abuse of speed. It does not stop speeding or road accidents completely but does put some constraints on people, especially on congested road networks like the UKs. We accept these constraints on our freedoms for the perceived good of the society as a whole.

I think it's a non-starter to assume the US could go the way of other countries overnight but I do think that people could change their view about what sort of weapons are reasonable for the average citizen to own whether it be for pure pleasure or protection. An acceptance that just because you can doesn't mean you should could over time make a real difference.

Perhaps, over time, people would feel less wedded to guns and the culture of gun ownership. Perhaps reducing or restricting handgun ownership would be more realistic over time. Encouraging people to ask why they feel the need to carry a gun just to go shopping, what the psychology of wanting to wander around town with an unconcealed weapon is - getting people to question this seemingly unassailable conditioning that "it's my right" and getting them to consider an alternative.

So I don't mean give up guns. I mean change the way you think about guns and how they are seen as part of the cultural and social landscape.

Also, what does it mean for the "nation as a whole" to have rights? What is the right that a nation has in this case?

I mean society as a whole. The right of people to go about their business with minimal risk to their health and well-being. At the moment the interpretation of the 2nd amendment means it is essentially impossible to enact change so citizens countrywide are at increased risk of being involved in a gun related incident.

Did you notice that if you remove suicides, you lose about 60% of the gun deaths (at least in the US)?

Yes but the homicide only figures are still way different to nations with a different gun ownership culture, as is the rate of ownership. We have suicides here but I would bet money that the rate would increase if more people had access to a gun.

The vast majority of gun owners are not in a militia. They are just people, like the kind that got shot up the other day.

Understood. I was just pointing out that this is another aspect of the culture towards guns in the US where you can have a heavily armed militia of quasi soldiers that can operate completely within the law but outside the control of the law enforcement or military authorities, yet no one bats an eyelid. No one is the least bit concerned that in principle a nationwide private army could be put together completely legally. No one is concerned that a group can walk the streets carrying battlefield ready hardware and it's entirely down to the organisation of the group as to how well trained and disciplined they are.

I would wager that the argument against that is that "well we don't have to worry about some dodgy militia because we have another militia who are the good guys and they've got loads of feck off guns" or "I better get myself a feck off gun so no fecker comes and take my stuff". Until this cultural approach changes then nothing will change.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit