What is the longest distance you drove to attend a summer Convention?

by RULES & REGULATIONS 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

Here is a photo of the Milwaukee Brewers ( AMERICAN BASEBALL TEAM) County stadium. For some reason, we were assigned this outdoor stadium for our 1975 four-day summer convention. Our congregation was located 90 miles away on the north side of Chicago.

Some congregation members stayed at Milwaukee hotels for the four-day convention. Since my parents and some congregation members were either too cheap/ or didn't have the means to pay for hotels and meals, they decided to charter a bus to Milwaukee for the four days. The chartered bus picked us up at 7.a.m. every morning at our Chicago Kingdom Hall and drove 2 hours to Milwaukee for our 9:45 a.m. starting time.

Since the bus arrived around 9 a.m. each morning in Milwaukee, all seats that were shaded/partly shaded or had a cover from the blazing sun in the middle of July were all taken. We had no choice but to sit on the outfield seats ( which were in full sun, all day long). Imagine sitting in the blazing sun all day long with a jacket/ tie or mothers having to take care of small children in the oppressive heat. Talk about sunstroke!

The convention meetings ended around 5 p.m. We would get back on the chartered bus around 6 p.m.and drive back to Chicago for another 2- hour drive. It would be around 8:30 p.m. each night that we would arrive back home. We ate dinner around 8:30 p.m., went to bed and did the same routine for the next 3 days.

What is the longest distance you drove to attend a summer Convention?

• blondie
    blondie

From the Northwest US to Pasadena, CA, in 1963, Rose Bowl.

• OnTheOutside
    OnTheOutside

In 2014, the in-laws traveled almost 500 miles (7 hours) each way to Kansas City, Missouri. Normally, they travel *only* about 230 miles (3.5 hours) each way to Fargo, North Dakota. My late FIL used to talk about the trip the family made in the 50's to the Yankee Stadium convention. From the Dakotas, that was over 1500 miles (pre-Interstate) highway each way. They camped in canvas tents. It had to be a big culture shock to a very rural rancher.

• scruffmcbuff
    scruffmcbuff

I feel like the british cant really comment here... i was drove an hour and 20 mins to twickenham for a convention...

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

The furthermost I ever traveled to a DC was 9 hours. Now before any go whaat? I will say was because we went to visit family in another state, and while we were there we went to one of the DCs in the area, which was only about an hour away.

But other than that the furthest was about 3 hours, most though were within an hours drive.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

my last ever big arsembly was at the old wembley stadium..about 1969 / 70 i think. it involved a long drive then 2 train rides each way. to sit in the rain in the open air. 4 days of utter misery. i vowed i would never go again--and i kept to my word.

• new boy
    new boy

2426 miles from Glendora California to New York City in 1958 for the international convention

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

New Boy, My family drove from Monterey Ca. to NYC in 1958. It was an International convention that lasted a MISERABLE 8 days. The only DC in the USA that year. Yankee Stadium and Polo Grounds had almost 254,000 on the last day. I was only 6 but I have vivid memories.

• LV101
    LV101

4-1/2-5 hr. drive depending on traffic on I-15 to Dodger Stadium and Long Beach, California. Dodger was outside arena sitting in the hot, miserable, bright, sun. Horrific cult could care less how hard it is/was on the followers as long as they steal the facility to make easy money. Didn't matter how little sleep we had to rise early and race to the venue -- (so badly boring but did enjoy the protestors' signs - most enlightening) no decent seats. All seemed to be saved for those fair, loving, self-righteous, old-time, JWs, who knew the game.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

LV101, I was there in 1969. Is that the one you were referring to? At that time I lived in Pleasant Hill Ca. About 5-6 hours.

Blondie, My family and I went to The Rose Bowl in '63 also. I was a freckle-faced girl of 11. It was so hot, one day my aunt fainted.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit