Can someone please explain

by blacksheep 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blacksheep
    blacksheep

I've been out of the org so long that my memory is fading as to exactly what their rationale is for not celebrating Thanksgiving.

I was speaking to my dad, whose not a JW but a supporter of it (for my mom's sake), and he was for some reason informing me of my mom and his attempts next week to take a relative (for whom they are caretakers) up to visit my aunt and uncle (several 200 miles away) for Thanksgiving. But he made sure to inform me how my mom and he would not eat with them (they'd go somewhere, like a movie, for a while).

Again, forgive me, I've been out too long. That whole plan seems asinine. Heaven forbid they'd actually eat with their own relatives on Thanksgiving.

Does anyone know the Dub's current (religious) position on this? (Like, did some Pilgrim smoke crack at the first Thanksgiving meal or something)?

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

you have to excuse their ignorance. My scenario is that I was brought up in the organization as a child, left as a married adult and now am shunned by my jw family. But it is okay for them to go to Thanksgiving dinner (Canadian way October) with my "wordly" relatives that never accepted the "truth" and enjoy Thanksgiving weekend with them. I have no idea what there mentally was of pulling this off with their conscious but go figure.

This by the way is coming from calamity jane and not xjw_b12

love cj

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

1. It's a harvest festival, and harvest festivals are pagan, you know. (Never mind that Israel had harvest festivals too.)

2. We're supposed to give thanks all the time, not just one day. (True. Christians are also supposed to be grateful for Jesus' sacrifice all the time, but that doesn't stop them from having a yearly day of remembrance for it.)

3. It's a national holiday with patriotic overtones. (It's not like we're talking Independence Day here.)

4. People eat too much and get drunk. (That doesn't mean that you have to!)

Basically, it's just part of the reflexive Witness opposition to holidays; and I think it's one of the ones that they find hardest to justify.

• Soledad
    Soledad

my mother's position has always been that we should be giving thanks everyday and not just one day. I always thought that was a weak argument. how do they then justify remembering Jesus's life, ministry and death on one day only? shouldn't exemplary christians such as the JW (sarcasm here) be thinking about him every day as well?

• Mulan
    Mulan

I think it has something to do with Nationalism and national holidays

• blondie
    blondie

Many JWs gather and eat turkey on the day rationalizing it. But what is the official words from the WTS?

School Brochure

p. 21 National Holidays
    Other holidays are somewhat different in nature. These are not so universally celebrated, but may be unique to a particular country. For example, there may be national days of thanksgiving. In some places there may also be a certain day set aside to memorialize a nation?s war dead, or a day to remember the birth of a country or certain prominent presidents, rulers or national heroes.
    Jehovah?s Witnesses also respectfully refrain from participating in such national holidays. Though we respect the authorities in whatever country we may reside, for conscientious reasons we do not give them what we view as worshipful honors. We remain neutral toward all such celebrations. This is in keeping with Jesus? words regarding his followers: "They are no part of the world, just as I am no part of the world."?John 17:16.

11/22/76 Awake pp. 12-13 A National "Day of Thanks"?The Dream and the Reality

On the contrary, the idea of a single day of thanks undoubtedly would have reminded the early Christians of the pagan Romans, who held an annual thanksgiving celebration in December. A writer of the second century noted: "We [Christians] are accused of a lower sacrilege, because we do not celebrate along with you the holidays of the Cæsars in a manner forbidden alike by modesty, decency, and purity."

Naturally, many dedicated Christians will not be working secularly on that day. Some may choose to take advantage of this opportunity to enjoy fellowship with family and friends. Yet, what "spirit" will a Christian manifest? It is true that God created turkeys and other foods, so these are not in themselves objectionable. But undoubtedly one who is a true Christian will want to be careful not to stumble others.

Straining out the gnat and gulping down the camel.

Blondie

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Personally I think it's their way of keeping members closer to the organization than worldy friends, co-workers, and relatives. It sets them out as "different" that lovely striven for quality that sets their children up as targets in schools and keeps them from making ties that would help support them should they leave the organization. All under the guise of "bad association spoils useful habits". More like worried someone will show them the real truth.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Personally I think it's their way of keeping members closer to the organization than worldy friends, co-workers, and relatives.

Mysterious,

You hit the nail on the head. Plus it takes place on a Thursday and most congs. have meetings on Thursday evening.

By the way, a warm welcome.

Heather

• Navigator
    Navigator

I agree with Mysterious. It is a standard cult tactic to keep their members separate and prevent them from associating outside the cult.

• nobody told me
    nobody told me

The Watchtower Farms don't raise turkeys, so those of the Bethel family can not get a free meal, so they ban the holiday.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit