A question for those who do NOT live in the United States

by logansrun 78 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

Logansrun,

I liked America and it's people. Much of it's culture is similar to the UK, except that everything in the UK is somewhat miniaturised in comparison. We just don't have the same space available.

One noticeable difference is that we tend to walk much more over here as a result. The social life is different being based mainly around a pub culture. Driving is a different experience entirely I might add.

We think that we are the free-est nation on earth. We think..!

I don't have a hankering to live in America, even though it's agreat place to visit. My son spent a year in Oz and didn't want to settle there either.

I would like to live in Madeira though. That is my favourite place, they all speak English even though Portuguese is their native tongue.. Maybe one day!

Englishman.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

I know this...... but I have spent an extended amount of time there. Last year for nearly 2 months. They say there are lay lines in the hills of Costa Del Sole that draw people back. This is true. I have vacationed in many many different areas of the world but that is the only place besides England that I would ever consider living in. In fact I have SERIOUSLY been considering moving there for a year or so.

sorry, you asked for responses from people who DONT live in the United States. my bad

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

Good question Bradley. I live in Canada and have long thought that this is the best place to live. I've considered living in the US, but have been concerned about the cost of health care. On the other hand, the quality of public health care here has declined in recent years. There are other pros and cons as well, each of which can be adjusted to easily enough, such as:

In the US you can buy beer and liquor in a variety of locations, and at much later hours than you can in Ontario, where we have designated beer and liquor stores that are not open late. Canadians DO have better beer though.

The US seems to have more crime, but that depends a lot on where one choses to live.

I don't think the economy is a great factor, since the Canadian economy is tied pretty closely with that of the US. If the US experiences a recession, we're not far behind.

When I visited the US I noticed a greater variety of brands on grocery store shelves that I could choose from. On the other hand, I don't think you have ketchup potato chips there.

I've heard many Canadians describe Americans as "arrogant", yet my own experience during my visits was much different. I found them to be among the most friendly and hospitable people I've ever met. I could easily go up to a stranger and have a conversation without them looking at me as though I had two heads, such as might happen in Toronto. I found the drivers in the US to be more courteous than here too.

There are a lot of places I'd like to see in the US, and who knows, I may live there one day.

Overall, I think the US and Canada are both great places to live, and it would be tough to choose between the two.

Walter

• little witch
    little witch

Rubber balls bounce, don't they?

No they are not so very different, LR.

I really feel you are confusing the USA with Democracy.

(I happen to like you, and I am not slamming you in any way) I just read and responded to your other thread, and didnt get a response there, and it got carried on in another thread.

My opinion is this. The United States Of America based its constitution on Democracy, and has been a leader in that form of government. Many countries have remodeled their govs to this model.

I think that so far, democracy is the most humanitarian form of government. It has flaws, but so far, is superb.

Is there a different form of government that you are trying to turn us onto? I will gladly listen to your views, and will not consider you an "Idiot" for stating it.

You called me an "idiot", Logan. I think you owe me an apology. That hurts....I would never call you that. I only differ from you. That does not make me ignorant or stulpid, or misinformed.

• logansrun
    logansrun

little witch,

I'm sorry I confused an idiotic statement with one being an idiot. Sorry.

There is a very loose connection between my the two threads. You stated that I started this thread because I "lost" on the other one. Total bullshit. A) I wanted to focus on non-US citizens in a thread and B) I didn't "lose".

Where do you get that I'm against democracy? Au contraire, I'm all for it. True democracy, that is. It seems you've bought into the great myth that everyone in this country has a fair and equal voice. Again, pure bullshit. We do not live in a classless society in the US -- money talks...corporate money talks. There are so many over the table (and underneath it) cash for votes it's sickening.

Ghandi was once asked how he felt about Western civilization. He replied, "I think it's a great idea." The same could be said for "democracy" in America. We have a semblence of democracy in the US just as the JWs have a semblence that they are a kindly group of well-intentioned loving Christians.

Seriously, you've got to do more reading.

Bradley

• undercover
    undercover

OK, I'm American but I'm gonna answer anyway.

I like living in the States. It's my home. But I've been to many other countries and I have found that I could easily live in a number of them. Scotland and England were particular favorites. I also like some of the islands of the Caribbean. I could easily live there. I liked Canada. But it's too damn cold and snowy in the winter in the parts that I have visited. I like warm climates. France and Italy were great to visit. I could probably make it ok in Italy. It had a certain charm that I appreciated. France was great to visit, but living there does not appeal to me for some reason. I have not been to Australia, so I don't have a first hand opinion of the area. What I have seen via books, movies and TV makes it very appealing.

A lot of Americans are arrogant about living in what they perceive to be the "greatest" country. This is usually ignorance. Once you experience other countries and cultures, you realize that people are people no matter where their from. There's good and bad about and in every country. You may gain some things in one country but you'll lose something else.

The perception of "the land of the free" is over-rated. The USA is not a "free" country anymore. True, it's not a dictatorship or social state, but over the course of a couple hundred years, many freedoms have been lost. Anyone who thinks that because they are from the States that they have a better lot in life than someone who lives in another country is fooling themselves.

• logansrun
    logansrun

The infant mortality rate in the States is terrible. And then there's the guns. Sheesh!

B.

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Are ya kidding me? I live in the best ******* country in the whole world.

-

Blue Bubblegum Girl

• logansrun
    logansrun

I thought you'd say that Viv.

Bradley

• Simon
    Simon

PLEASE

Let's try and keep this about what's positive about where people live rather than it becoming all about "the negatives of the USA".

Thanks

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit