Cyprus JW's Military Service

by snare&racket 19 Replies latest jw friends

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

I work with a nurse who served for 2 years in the army of Cyprus as is compulsory in that country. I happened to ask about JW's and their consequential punishment for not doing it. He laughed and stated that since 2009 they HAVE to do it and that he personally knew several that 'served.' This included full weapons training and live fire exercises.

When I asked why he laughed, he said that there was a JW in his unit that LOVED shooting, lobbing grenades and being first in line ..."on point"... during training and exercises. The phrase he kept saying whilst laughing was "He loved it."

It really is a very different belief system to the one I grew up in. I knew people that had to leave their home countries and families and learn a new language to avoid imprisonment for refusing military service.

i support necessary military interventions now as any sensible person would. I'm neither happy or sad at their change in position for military service. I am simply sad for the hypocrisy and lack of true authority the Watchtower have over and had over so many people and their lives.

• cofty
    cofty

That's very surprising!

I think Cyprus comes under the oversight of the London Branch.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

We need to do some digging on this subject because thier still making a big deal about the ones in South Korea that go to prison

• steve2
    steve2

Intriguing, if correct. Saying they have to do military service would be viewed by JW organization as a justification for refusing to do it. In fact, the official line is to refuse compulsory service and view the consequences as persecution.

Has that hardline stand now been "adjusted" to being an individual's conscience matter?

If so, is this adjustment documented in JW literature?

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

i support necessary military interventions now as any sensible person would. I'm neither happy or sad at their change in position for military service. I am simply sad for the hypocrisy and lack of true authority the Watchtower have over and had over so many people and their lives.

I agree with you in this. I also feel good that many JWs today don't have to go through so much to server their Jehovah.

• steve2
    steve2

So, has JW organization changed its view on brothers in good standing doing military service?

• schnell
    schnell

How long has this been going on, also? When did he serve?

• Steel
    Steel

Cypress offers alternative service for objecters. All of Europe is moving away from conscription.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Could these guys that served in the military just been fringe dwellers ones that have been brought up in the "truth" not really abiding by it but still refer to themselves as JW`s.? I believe their are many that fit that catergory .

• New day
    New day

I would be surprised if this is true. I have Greek friends (I know it is a different country) and all the bros there do alternative service. If they did the actual military service they would be in front of a jc. All of them used to go to jail when there was no alternative service in the past. So something tells me the guys mentioned have never been baptized.I can't see the situation in Cyprus being any different from Greece or other places in terms of the org's view.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit