Son out?

by Nantiques 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Nantiques
    Nantiques

Hello, I'm new here. Our son joined the WTS 20 years ago. We, his parents and siblings are not JWs. He is now 41. He knew we were "opposers" from the beginning, and so we were pretty much shunned by him. But, he recently contacted us to tell us he accepted a job overseas and he also sent a picture of himself. He has LONGISH HAIR and a BEARD!! After doing much research on the WTS over the years, I know for a fact that long hair and beards are NOT allowed. We have corresponded back and forth several times, and he is very warm in his letters and said he was sorry for not being in contact. He also said he has "started a new life...a reset". I have NOT asked him anything about his possible de-affiliation with the WTS. I feel if he wants to talk about it, he will bring it up. But, I have a strong feeling he may have left the WTS. Am I wishful thinking?? Any thoughts or advice would be very much appreciated. :)

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

:) It appears congratulations may be in order. You have your family member back.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Tentatively I too offer my congratulations....it is possible a person can be POMI (physically out, mentally in) but it's unlikely such a person would describe their life as a "reset" and have warmed toward non JW family (as well as embracing the "natural" look lol😜).

I wish your family all the best and recommend JWfacts.com for further information on the cult of Watchtower and how to help ex members (as well as this site of course!).

• Ding
    Ding

I think you are wise at this point not to ask about the religion.

If he has left, he will probably tell you what happened in his own good time.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Longish hair, beard, contacting opposers, reuniting with family, apologizing for shunning behavior...

Yup, he is free at last! Congratulations Dad!

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I agree with Ding. He may be working his way back and might need some time before facing that particular issue. He may need to feel comfortable first. Take your time and show him what he has been missing all these years.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

People don't join the WTS. It is a printing company.

Long hair and a beard are not good things.

• Nantiques
    Nantiques

Thank you all for your comments! It does seem like our Prodigal Son has "come home". I am SO curious as to what exactly helped him see the light and realize the WTS is not what it claims to be. I hope someday our son will tell us. I've always thought of the WTS as a multi-million-dollar book publishing company masquerading as a religion.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Nantiques I've always thought of the WTS as a multi-million-dollar book publishing company masquerading as a religion.

And you'd be exactly right!!

Do follow Ding & TonusOH's advice & show him exactly what he's been missing all these years - real, unconditional love!

• Nantiques
    Nantiques

Diogenesister, how do I follow Ding & TonusOh's advice? I don't know how to navigate to it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit