Our First Christmas Tree

by Queequeg 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

My parents weren't JW. There is a description of a tree in chapter 10 of Jeremiah. As I recall the WT referred to these as totems. The very description fits a xmas tree: Jeremiah 10:2...2 Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.

3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.
    4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.
    5 They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.
    Anyway, my Dad thought this description meant xmas tree and when we would drive by houses with trees displayed, he would say, "A heathen lives in that house." That sound judgmental, but it was stated as fact, not judgement. He was helpful to anyone in need, so never held it against them. When I was little , we celebrated xmas and for whatever reason ( that scripture for sure, in part,) we quit having the tree and wrapped presents. Mom always cooked a big meal and we were given some money for to buy ourselves whatever we wanted towards the end of December. That was a big deal to be given $5 and taken to Ben Franklin!
  • Queequeg
    Queequeg

Hey Bartolomeo!

Thanks for expressing your opinion.

I look forward to your detailed explanation of how we've fallen into a self-pity trap, because I don't understand what you mean.

Thanks in advance!

• Queequeg
    Queequeg

Bartolomeo, dove sei? ;)

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

QUEEQUEG:

I’d like to see his explanation too but maybe it’s just another JW hit-and-run type of answer: in other words…no real substance and just knocking you for leaving the religion.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

There is no substance to JW''s answers they just basically direct you to their website or something

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I'm curious as well. The experience in the first post implies that the couple was worried about being socially isolated (self pity?) and that they took steps to alleviate those concerns. If seeking out people and building friendships that lead to more meaningful holiday celebrations is a trap, well... it's not a bad one to fall into, IMO.

• Queequeg
    Queequeg

Bartolomaaaaaayo?

Bartolomeo, I'd love to have you explain your comment more clearly.

Thanks in advance!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit