Baptismal Questions

by LovesDubs 10 Replies latest jw friends

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

I was baptized June 1, 1985. Thats the day they started using the NEW baptismal questions in their baptismal talk on the baptismal day to all the baptismal candidates. Did any of you actually HEAR those questions they made you stand up to hear read? Would any of us at that moment in time actually have said anything but a resounding "YES!!!" when asked those questions? I sure as hell dont recall what I was asked. They coulda said "Do you all solemnly swear to run nude through Central Park with a book bag throwing rose petals and tracts in the air as you go?" Id have said yes!

This is what they ACTUALLY ASKED US from that point forward:

1. On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sin and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

2. Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization?

I shudder at my stupidity...and just where the hell are the Father Son and Holy Spirit here?

• joelbear
    joelbear

I was baptized in 1973, but I don't remember answering the questions.

Lying is almost impossible for me. It is just totally against my nature.

I couldn't truthfully answer the the questions, so I didn't.

Does this mean I am not really dedicated and therefore that I can't really be disfellowshipped?

inquiring hugs

Joel

• outnfree
    outnfree

Joelbear,

YES!!!

At least, it seems to me just the sort of technicality the WTBTS would use to wriggle its way out of an uncomfortable and self-detrimental situation.

Loves,

Thanks for posting these. I couldn't find them when I wanted them on another thread.

I realized that the Father and Son were acknowledged in the first question, but recognition of the holy spirit by the baptismal candidate personally is not a part of the baptism. So WAS it a valid baptism?

I thought not, so about a month ago, I was considering beng baptized again, but now I'm not sure I believe in the Judeo-Christian God anymore anyway, so it's a moot point for me. For others who DO believe, they may want to contemplate a REAL and honest baptism.

Peace.
    outnfree

• logical
    logical

Those 2 little questions were precisely the reason I realised the WTS were not the truth.

The one thing I can really thank MDS for.

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

Ohh this again, YES. Everyone keeps making fun of me around here because I was baptized to an Org. because I was baptized after 85. Dad really loves to mention this, but he does quite down when I remind him that HE's the one who gave the Talk and ASKED ME those dumb Questions AHHHH he should have known better!!

Ven

• betweenworlds
    betweenworlds

I was baptised in 1983, and so I had the older questions. But at the time, just like LovesDubs, I probably wouldn't have given the questions second thought, even if they had said something like the new ones say.. I was only 18 at the time, and wasn't getting baptised because of any love for *the truth* or for God. I did it because it was the thing to do, and after being indoctrinated for 18 years it was in my controlled mind the next *logical* step. Very sad

BW

• LostMyReligion
    LostMyReligion

I was baptized in 1974, under the old questions, but both my sons got dunked in the late 80's so had the new ones. At the time, I was vaguely aware that the questions were some how shorter that the ones I remembered from my own baptism, but gave no real thought to looking for any concealed meaning behind the difference. I do not ever remember actually seeing the baptism questions in print (though they must have been, if I had looked), until I began reading on the net and R Franz' books. The revelation of the darker implications of this "organizational" change , when brought to my attention was shocking in its audacity. This new knowledge created one of the major holes in my former belief system which was rapidly becoming swiss cheese left out of the refrigerator too long. I am not sure though, that if I had been shown this change of dedication several years ago, it would have sunk in. Sad, but such is the nature of mind control.

LMR

• teejay
    teejay

LovesDubs,

I was baptized in '74, and I couldn't have told you the questions
    that were asked of me that Sunday morning had a gun been put
    to my head. As you can see below, there has been a radical change
    in the second question. I will reserve comment on what I think about
    the current #2.

February 15, 1964 Watchtower, pg 127:
    1 Have you repented of sin with such restitution as you are able,
    and are you trusting in the merit of Christ's sacrifice for the
    forgiveness of your sins and the basis of your justification?

2 Have you made a full consecration of yourself with all the powers
    that you possess -- talent, money, time influence -- all to the Lord,
    to be used faithfully in His service, even unto death?"

-------------------------------------------------------------------

May 1, 1973 Watchtower, pg 280:
    1 Have you repented of your sins and turned around, recognizing
    yourself before Jehovah God as a condemned sinner who needs
    salvation, and have you acknowledged to him that this salvation
    proceeds from him, the Father, through his Son Jesus Christ?

2 On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation,
    have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will
    henceforth as he reveals it to you through Jesus Christ and through
    the Bible under the enlightening power of the holy spirit?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 1, 1985 Watchtower, p30:
    1 On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of
    your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

2 Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you
    as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-
    directed organization?

• Jeremy30
    Jeremy30

Hi, LovesDubs. Hi, all.

First of all, I'd like to say that I have been visiting this board for a few weeks and I really enjoy your
    posts and sense of humour.

Had to reply to this one because I was baptized in 1985 (April) as well, so I had to answer those
    sneaky questions also. But I was only 14 at the time and I have to agree that being a brainwashed
    kid, I would have said yes to just about anything (it seemed like a good idea at the time).

I do remember a bit of excitement about these new questions, but the buzz was that it was a privilege
    to be among the first to be baptized with the new dedication questions. Apparently, though, the
    most important thing was that you said "Yes!" loud enough for everyone to hear.

It seems now to be bizarre to have had to dedicate yourself to a group of geriatric bozos in Brooklyn.
    "All hail the almighty organization!" Yeah, right.

If I had my time back, I would tell them what they can do with their questions (hint: the guy who dunked
    me would have to take off his bathing suit).

Jeremy

• Michael3000
    Michael3000

WOW!

Spooky - my baptism date was June 15, 1985... I think that experiencing the change in the baptismal questions was the first time I can remember feeling serious "cognitive dissonance"!

--Michael

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit