Welsh Police v American Police

by ThomasCovenant 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon
    We do have a large contingent of armed officers who carry guns in fast response vehicles. They are carefully selected, highly trained and show great professionalism and restraint. They rarely have to fire a weapon.

The stats for the police marksmen is outstanding, I can't remember the exact figure but it's something like "34 shots fired, 32 suspects killed". If it gets to the point where a police marksman is aiming a rifle at you, kiss your ass goodbye.

So very different to the ridiculous hail-of-bullets approach in the US where the police end up shooting innocent bystanders in their "excitement" (plus, sometimes, each other)

• silentbuddha
    silentbuddha

SWAT police tend to be stone cold killers. Highly skilled, almost military like. They are assholes but effective. Its the risky dink keystone cops patrolling the streets that are the mentally touched and trigger happy.

I really wish people could see how they act in black and white neighborhoods where people are poor. If you think its just black people complaining try areas in West Virginia where the same things happen.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Watching that video I do think that police officer took a real risk in tackling that man with the knives as the taser didnt have enough effect on him to make him completely helpless ;Luckily for him he was able to disarm him and nobody got hurt .

but it was sheer luck that they didnt get injured.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

Comparing UK stats to US stats is not really apples to apples. Gun possession by the public in the UK is minimal, where in the US there are approximately 300-400 million guns in the hands of the citizens. Having worked as a police officer, I can tell you first hand that guns proliferate in the US, and as a result, the two leading causes of death for police officers are gunfire and traffic collisions (except for 2020, where COVID was number one). As the video shows, tasers often fail to stop people...and in the case of edged weapons, they can be more deadly than guns inside of 20 feet. As the video shows, a knife wielding subject can close the distance to the officer so quickly, they would have no time to draw a firearm in response. These officers were VERY lucky to not have been killed or injured in this contact...thankfully, this turned out well for the officers and the suspect.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    silentbuddha - "Its the risky dink keystone cops patrolling the streets that are the mentally touched and trigger happy."

I often wonder if wannabe Hollywood-style badass machismo is a component.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Deadly force is deadly force. That man chose to threaten those officers with deadly force. He proved it when he stabbed the one officer multiple times. He made his choice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit