So Let's Say Bigger Change Happens

by peacefulpete 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

If a change in the blood policy happens, who will be more upset, JWs or former JWs?

I suspect the latter.

When the beard thing went down, JW's seem to immediately embrace it, whereas many former JW's have been brooding about it.

Did it take away a pet gripe we had?

Do we feel jealous of JWs living now?

Does this change make you question if you made a mistake in leaving the church?

I personally try to parallel such things in a way similar to how people react to past loves or lost friends. Do you hear of good news in their lives, maybe they became a better person, lost weight or got recognition for an accomplishment, and become disturbed by it? Or might you be the person who genuinely feels 'good for them!' (freudenfreude)

Are we happy the people, still under the WT's influence, can exercise a small but greater measure of control over their life? In matters of greater importance, wouldn't we be delighted to hear that social and legal pressures resulted in life-and-death choices being returned to the people?

I wonder, in the end, if most of us would be better off not spending time following the WT's shifting policies/doctrines. Much like we don't 'stalk' or shadow past lovers or former friends online for our mental health's sake.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Beard was a big nothing. Shaving has no bearing on life threatening matters.

I know no one who cares beyond the usual laughter. And it isn't a reason to stay or come back

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

PEACEFUL PETE:

Yes, it would be former Witnesses who are upset or shocked over changes in the religion.

There is a very good reason:..most former Witnesses have regained critical thinking and can see the hypocrisy and injustice…Whereas, unfortunately, too many current JWs are in the deep sleep of denial and don’t give these changes a second thought.

When I heard the change at their annual meeting that R&F no longer needed to count time or submit a slip - I, being long-Out, was shocked. I was judged over this issue because I worked… But, I am ever so Happy that I never listened to all those Witness critics years ago!

• KalebOutWest
    KalebOutWest

The religion I knew in the 1980s no longer exists. As I have often told others, if I were a baptized JW who fell into a coma in say 1985 and awoke today, I would be disfellowshipped for my belief and practices since my Watchtower religion would not be acceptable by Witnesses today.

I see the Jehovah's Witnesses as an ad hoc religion. Despite their claim to the contrary, they are founded on the premise that they are the sole modern-day prophet of God for the final days of history, inspired with the knowledge to understand the "true meaning" of Bible prophecy to forewarn of and proclaim the coming battle of Armageddon to the nations.

But as any ad hoc system, since the have been doing this since the 1800s (and it is now 2024), their system is set up for change. Jesus return in 1874 and subsequent destruction of all nations in 1914 left alot to be desired, so much change was ready at hand and quick to be to be thought of by the next generation of prophets to follow up behind in the footsteps of self-proclaimed appointee-of-God Charles Taze Russell. And thus it has always been.

The only true freedom will come to people who disconnect entirely from this ad hoc system and others like it. There will always be a change on the horizon.

The Mormon religion is one of the biggest ad hoc religious systems built upon an "end of the world/prophet" scenario. It is always undergoing change, always. Recently they have attempted to change their name, topple the angel Moroni from his place as their mascot/logo and replace him with Jesus (why wasn't he there in the first place?), and oddly all of this will of course be subject to change when the current prophet dies and the next one takes his place.

When all these current changes, I do, however fear a collapse similar to its sister religion, the Worldwide Church of God that went through similar changes and quickly and just lost over 75% of its membership in about 2 years. Unlike the LDS church, the Watchtower religion is highly apocalyptic like the WCG was. When it became apparent that changes being offered are novelty instead of following through on the end-time promises, like the fellowship of the WCG, followers may see it as pure gaslighting. If not handled right this will create a mass Exodus effect from the JWs instead of greater adherence.

This type of freedom will be different from independence. Independence is when a person realizes and chooses to leave and is capable of being untouched after they have done so.

After a collapse or during one, people leave as exiles. There is freedom, but for a while people are emotional refugees. That is a bit different.

Some of us might still be in that "refugee" situation, where we are affected by where we left. So when we hear news of what happens in the Watchtower world, it can affect us based on our particular situation and loss. But if there is a collapse due to poor leadership, it will be like popping corn without a lid on the top.

When springs have been held down too tightly and you suddenly let them go, they shoot off, some very far away. One needs only talk to those who have gone through what happened with the WCG fell apart.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer
    Peacefulpete said "When the beard thing went down ... many former JW's have been brooding about it."

Brooding about it - why do you say that?

Peacefulpete said "Does this change [beards] make you question if you made a mistake in leaving the church?"

Again, why would it? It actually confirms what a tremendously bad religion Watchtower is. It simply changes at the whims of it's leaders - it amounts to creature worship. Why would anyone want to return to a religion like that?

Recent changes absolutely confirm what most of us already knew about Watchtower.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete
    After a collapse or during one, people leave as exiles. There is freedom, but for a while people are emotional refugees. That is a bit different...Some of us might still be in that "refugee" situation, where we are affected by where we left. So when we hear news of what happens in the Watchtower world, it can affect us based on our particular situation and loss.

Great comment. Great analogy.

Longhairgal.....Do you really believe former JWs "feel" upset because of 'critical thinking'? Your words suggest the reason rests in the second half of your comment. (above not supposed to be in quotes)

"I was judged over this issue because I worked…"

Does the fact that JWs now are judged differently than you were still a source of irritation, despite your being 'long-out'?

I'm not insensitive to your experience, having been emotionally beat up myself, I'm suggesting you stop living like a 'refugee'.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I have odd trouble with quotations.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

PEACEFUL PETE;

No offense , but you are waaay off! 🤣

My interest in the Witnesses is solely as a spectator.

What in the world would how JWs are supposedly ‘judged’ now mean anything to me?? You gotta be kidding.. This sounds like something a still-in person would say.

I am not living as a ‘refugee’ as you so comically suggest. 🤣🤣🤣 A refugee implies somebody who supposedly has ‘no home’. I never even felt ‘at home’ in that religion.. My home is very firmly placed in the real world - which was where I came from before I made the blunder of setting foot inside of JWs.

Peace out.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

People who leave often experience the stages of grief. I try never to judge the grieving process in others. Let them grieve in their own way, at their own pace, is my (ideal) approach.

• KalebOutWest
    KalebOutWest

One cannot help how they might feel over anything that happens anywhere in life. I myself laughed over the beards and slacks, while I heard some felt betrayed. But I have my own reasons which have nothing to do with being a Jehovah's Witness for my reaction. How I felt had to do with being a Jewish man who lives in a world where growing a beard is a norm and I never really think about somebody allowing or not allowing me to do this.

And being a refugee is not necessarily a bad thing or a good thing. It often comes upon people due to circumstances beyond their control. One cannot "stop" or "start" living in a state that is forced upon you.

And it isn't a term to judge others by.

The Watchtower religion is ever-changing because it is supposed to be the "restoration" of "true religion" which, according to their own theology this restoration would only occur in the Last Days during the final generation mentioned by Jesus in his discourse given recorded at Matthew 24. So their existence has painted them into a corner, so to speak. Those closest to them will feel something with any news from them or about them.

Because so much time has passed from the mid-1800s until now, 2024, and the group has drastically and dramatically evolved to deal with the fact that this generation is stretching over 2 centuries, people are seeing a different religion coming and going out. It should be upsetting to some ex-members. It is a horrible lie to see them go on and on.

It lies about life, history, religion, God, culture, belief, disbelief, science, medicine, sex, and itself, just to scratch the surface. So every change is a reminder not only of the ridiculousness of it all but to some people, the changes are personal and might remind them of where they once landed on the spectrum of JW beliefs and promotion. Theat can be a sore spot.

This sort of turmoil pains many who have been leaving the LDS church recently too. While the recent president seems to have put a stop to it, there was about a decade of faithful reporting from the Mormon church on its history and on Joseph Smith's lack of truthfulness behind his claims. It did much damage by decreasing numbers steadily until to pandemic. 2023 saw its first increase ever after that "truth" fiasco.

It's natural to feel in response to news reports, whether they regard the Jehovah's Witnesses or not. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit