TheNew World Society in Action....

by Lostandfound 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound

Back in the early 60s the phrase

"The New World Society..." was used a lot to promote assemblies and even congregations. Of course no New World has come but that saying appears to have been quietly buried along with any hope OF a New World.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

"New World Society"...

x

...naw, doesn't sound cultish at all.

• Hecce
    Hecce
    Back in the 50S there was a movie called "The new world Society in action", it was presented by the circuit overseers at public venues.
  • ZAPPA-ESQUE
    ZAPPA-ESQUE
    It was abandoned because it sounded too......................Illuminati-ish or Freemasonary-ish ?? I remember being told at an elders school to stop using it. Replace with The Paradise etc
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yes, great thread.

Also, what about the expression that was well used throughout the 80's: "the new world order" or "new order"!

That too has been quietly shelved!

(apparently I was told that the music group "new order" got their name from this as one of them was raised as a witness...perhaps someone can confirm this?)

• Landy
    Landy
    New Order were the renamed Joy Division after Curtis committed suicide - not 100 percent where the name came from but I'm sure it was nothing to do with JWism.
  • jookbeard
    jookbeard
    interesting that they seemed to drop these types of jargon, as extreme in cult speak as you can possibly go, more egg on their faces though, new system, new world order, new world, theocracy, kingdom rule etc etc, oh how they would cling onto this madness.
  • shepherdless
    shepherdless
    Landy - New Order were the renamed Joy Division after Curtis committed suicide

Actually it was the other way around. "Joy Division" became "New Order", one of the greatest bands of the 80s, but one of the most boring, live.

I think the phrase "New World Order" came from a HG Wells book.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

The thing that gets me is they have JWs believing that phrase and many others like it were all WT exclusive originals direct from the pages of the only true Bible translation.

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS has used many phrases over the years

New World Society when my mother came in

new system (or system of things)

new world (up to 2012) or new order (but not new world order...only quotes from non-jw sources)

*** w10 12/15 p. 23 par. 15 Sing to Jehovah! ***

In the years since that book was first published, the light has been getting brighter on a number of topics, and some of the expressions used in that songbook have become outdated. For example, we no longer speak of “the new order” but of “the new world.”

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit