1995 "generation change", what were your early thoughts and what was said ?

by run dont walk 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Singing Man
    Singing Man

After I seen what they were conveying it became the final tack in the coffin, RIP.

• Sassy
    Sassy

I didn't really pay that much attention. I remember my mom being all excited and pointing out the article to me as if we had been given this new gift and light. I didn't get the excitement. I guess prophecy has never been my cup of tea. I was just a blind person being lead. Seems so stupid now.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

The 1995 articles were the result of an apparent division within the organization over the understanding of Matt 24:34. The study articles in the main body of the magazine contained a very lengthy and confusing discussion of the meaning of Greek words and the history of the Jews. The real import was however the definitions of the words "generation" and "pass away". The word generation was now simply to mean a group of people living contemporaneously, in this context, the wicked people who will be destroyed by God. Formerly they interpreted the word as implying a life span, and so saw this as a time reference. The "end" was to happen within a human life time of the fullfullment of the "signs of the end" which JWs believed began in 1914. Therefore 81 years had past in 1995 and yet nothing had happened. That had many wondering, as most people who saw 1914 were now dead. But back to the article...This new definition of "generation" no longer implied a time reference at all. In addition the definition of the phrase "pass away" was now changed from meaning dying of old age to being destroyed at Armagedon. To summerize the new interpretation: The author was simply saying that the destruction of the wicked people would not happen until after ALL of the things listed in Matt 24 happened. This required too much change of thought for many even in Brooklyn. The QUESTIONS from READERS at the end of the very same magazine offered a slightly different interpretation that retained the subtle idea of a time reference. This article simply insisted that the word "generation" effectively means an undisclosed length of time, but of "short duration". This was because of emphasis on the phrasing "contemporaneous people". In other words: That People with wicked ideas living in the last days (which are of short duration by inference) would still be alive when God bring the end. This of course says little or nothing. It then effectively confused everyone, as a result most favored the second interpretation as this was less of a change. Subsequent articles reinforced the second interpretation so effectively that most JWs are not aware of the inconsistency. When we attempted to have an intelligent discussion about these matters we were rebuffed as pushing ahead and overly concerned about details. I began to feel uneasy with the WT as an agent of God. While there was many other matters that converged at the same time , this was a factor in my decline in zeal.

The real problem is that the author was not fortelling an end of the world as we think of it at all. He was expressing confidence that the Return of Jesus to restore Isreal's glory was imminent, within his lifetime. This was the conviction found in many Bible passages. For example a few chapters earlier at Matt 16:27,28 where dispite attempts to change it's meaning as referring to a transfiguration, the context is clearly about "coming to recompence" in the lifetime of his Apostles.

The expression at 24:34 "THIS generation"(meaning those listening to him) provides the key to the puzzle. It does not say THAT generation(suggesting future peoples). So taken in context without later Christian reinterpretation the author was simply saying: The return of Jesus and glorification of his chosen ones will happen before those then alive died of old age. He was of course wrong. And Christian apologists have since sought ways to reinterpret those simple words: Truly I tell you THIS generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur.

• logansrun
    logansrun

"Hey, who's that hot sister over there?"

That's what I thought.

B.

• maxwell
    maxwell

I was a freshman doing my first semester in college at the time that article came out. It took a little effort to wrap my head around the idea, but I did. And I thought, well I suppose it might have been good thing that I decided to go to school. I might be here longer than expected. I also told myself, that whether the end came 5 minutes or 500 years from now, it could still be considered "near" in the eyes of Jehovah and I went ahead with that view.

• shotgun
    shotgun

What really bothered me about the change was the New home bible study book to be used the Knowledge book was released that summer.

The Knowledge book had no mention of the year 1914 generation which was quite a departure from the Everlasting life book which mentioned it often.

Then in November of that year they came clean with the new understanding in the WT. It all made sense then, they had prepared and released the new study book to be used on new recruits with the new understanding and then openly made the new understanding public in the WT.

What does that mean...It means that 6 to 9 months before the knowledge book was released they discussed making this change and releasing it in the manner of which they did, it also means they made a conscious decision to let the old false understanding be preached globally for at least a year.

I sent a letter to the bethel asking them specifically why they knowingly would allow a false or erroneous teaching to be preached globally for so long and they replied the GB release proper food at the proper time....na..na..can't catch me..blah ..blah..we do what ever we want, Jehovah's on our side, stick it where the sun don't shine and don't rain on our parade apostate scum. Warm Christian love XOXO from the Brotherhood

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

I didin't quite understand it at first. The article was quite vague.

I remember one of the elders trying to explain it from the platform and couldn't then he reached for the article and read it word for word.

When I finally understood all the implications of the change it felt like the rug was pulled from underneath me.

I don't understand how most Jw can just shrug this big change and continue like nothing has happened.

wannaexit

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Looking back, I believe like others that it was the beginning of the end for me. It seemed so obvious that they had scratched their heads and come up with something so vague it could mean anything. The result of the days proving longer than expected .

I told the Watchtower Overseer that I did not envy his role of presenting it to the congo.At the time I shrugged it off because ,of course, the Society must know best

As time went by and other things happened and thoughts occurred to me, I was more receptive to fresh ideas , and the rest is history .........

• onacruse
    onacruse

I checked on www.quotes.jehovahswitnesses.com and didn't see that the study article of that 11/1/95 WT has been posted, so here ya go (above I posted the QfR of the same issue):

w95 11/1 pp. 16-21 A Time to Keep Awake ***

A

Time to Keep Awake

"In all the nations the good news has to be preached first. . . . But he that has endured to the end is the one that will be saved."?MARK 13:10, 13.

ENDURE we must?amid a faithless and twisted generation! Since 1914 a generation of people has become corrupt, just as in Jesus? day. And today the corruption is on a worldwide scale. In these "last days," the "critical times hard to deal with" described by the apostle Paul are afflicting mankind. ?Wicked men and impostors continue to advance from bad to worse.? Clearly, "the whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one," Satan the Devil, who is now making his final effort to ruin the earth. But take courage! There is an oncoming "great tribulation" that will bring permanent relief to all who love righteousness.?2 Timothy 3:1-5, 13; 1 John 5:19; Revelation 7:14.

Happily, Jehovah has now enthroned the Lord Jesus Christ in the heavens, preparatory to removing mankind?s oppressive enemies. (Revelation 11:15) As at Messiah?s first advent, so in this century a remarkable prophecy penned by Daniel has been fulfilled. At Daniel 4:16, 17, 32, we are told of the suspending of rightful kingship over the earth for a period of "seven times." In their major fulfillment, these seven times amount to seven Biblical years of 360 ?days? each, or 2,520 years in all. They ran from 607 B.C.E., when Babylon began trampling underfoot the kingdom of Israel, to 1914 C.E., the year of Jesus? enthronement in heaven as mankind?s rightful King. Then "the appointed times of the nations" ended. (Luke 21:24) But the nations have declined to yield to the incoming Messianic Kingdom.?Psalm 2:1-6, 10-12; 110:1, 2.

As the 70th week of years (29-36 C.E.) approached, and again as the year 1914 drew near, God-fearing people were expecting Messiah?s arrival. And arrive he did! In each case, though, the manner of his appearing differed from the expectation. In each case too, after a comparatively brief time period, an evil "generation" finally suffers execution by divine decree.?Matthew 24:34.

In our preceding article, we noted how the wicked Jewish generation that called for the blood of Jesus met its end. What, then, of the ruinous generation of mankind that even now opposes or ignores him? When will judgment on this faithless generation be executed?

"Keep

on the Watch"!

After prophesying events leading up to a time of "great tribulation," Jesus added: "Concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father." (Matthew 24:3-36; Mark 13:3-32) We do not need to know the exact timing of events. Rather, our focus must be on being watchful, cultivating strong faith, and keeping busy in Jehovah?s service?not on calculating a date. Jesus concluded his great prophecy by saying: "Keep looking, keep awake, for you do not know when the appointed time is. . . . Keep on the watch . . . What I say to you I say to all, Keep on the watch." (Mark 13:33-37) Danger lurks in the shadows of today?s world. We must keep awake!?Romans 13:11-13.

Not only must we pay attention to the inspired prophecies concerning these final days of a wicked system but we must anchor our faith primarily on the precious sacrifice of Christ Jesus and God?s marvelous promises based thereon. (Hebrews 6:17-19; 9:14; 1 Peter 1:18, 19; 2 Peter 1:16-19) Eager to see the end of this evil system, Jehovah?s people have at times speculated about the time when the "great tribulation" would break out, even tying this to calculations of what is the lifetime of a generation since 1914. However, we "bring a heart of wisdom in," not by speculating about how many years or days make up a generation, but by thinking about how we "count our days" in bringing joyful praise to Jehovah. (Psalm 90:12) Rather than provide a rule for measuring time, the term "generation" as used by Jesus refers principally to contemporary people of a certain historical period, with their identifying characteristics.

In line with the above, professor of history Robert Wohl wrote in his book The Generation of 1914: "A historical generation is not defined by its chronological limits . . . It is not a zone of dates." But he pointed out that World War I created "an overwhelming sense of rupture with the past," and he added: "Those who lived through the war could never rid themselves of the belief that one world had ended and another begun in August 1914." How true that is! It focuses on the crux of the matter. "This generation" of mankind since 1914 has experienced appalling changes. It has seen the earth drenched with the blood of millions. Warfare, genocide, terrorism, crime, and lawlessness have erupted worldwide. Famine, disease, and immorality have stalked our globe. Jesus prophesied: "You also, when you [his disciples] see these things occurring, know that the kingdom of God is near. Truly I say to you, This generation will by no means pass away until all things occur."?Luke 21:31, 32.

Yes, the complete triumph of the Messianic Kingdom is at hand! Is anything to be gained, then, by looking for dates or by speculating about the literal lifetime of a "generation"? Far from it! Habakkuk 2:3 clearly states: "The vision is yet for the appointed time, and it keeps panting on to the end, and it will not tell a lie. Even if it should delay, keep in expectation of it; for it will without fail come true. It will not be late." Jehovah?s day of accounting hastens ever closer.?Jeremiah 25:31-33; Malachi 4:1.

When Christ?s Kingdom rule began in 1914, Satan was hurled down to earth. This has meant "woe for the earth . . . because the Devil has come down to you, having great anger, knowing he has a short period of time." (Revelation 12:12) That time is short, indeed, compared with the thousands of years of Satan?s rulership. The Kingdom is at hand, and so is Jehovah?s day and hour for executing judgment on this wicked generation!?Proverbs 3:25; 10:24, 25.

The

"Generation" That Passes Away

Let us examine more closely Jesus? statement at Matthew 24:34, 35: "Truly I say to you that this generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will by no means pass away." Jesus? words that follow show that ?nobody knows that day and hour.? Far more important, he shows that we must avoid the snares surrounding us in this generation. Thus Jesus adds: "For just as the days of Noah were, so the presence of the Son of man will be. For as they were in those days before the flood, eating and drinking, men marrying and women being given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark; and they took no note until the flood came and swept them all away, so the presence of the Son of man will be." (Matthew 24:36-39) Jesus here compared the generation of his day to that of Noah?s day.?Genesis 6:5, 9; footnote.

This was not the first time that the apostles heard Jesus make this comparison of ?generations,? for some days earlier he had stated concerning himself: "The Son of man . . . must undergo many sufferings and be rejected by this generation. Moreover, just as it occurred in the days of Noah, so it will be also in the days of the Son of man." (Luke 17:24-26) Thus, Matthew chapter 24 and Luke chapter 17 make the same comparison. In Noah?s day "all flesh [that] had ruined its way on the earth" and that was destroyed at the Flood was "this generation." In Jesus? day the apostate Jewish people that were rejecting Jesus was "this generation."?Genesis 6:11, 12; 7:1.

Therefore, in the final fulfillment of Jesus? prophecy today, "this generation" apparently refers to the peoples of earth who see the sign of Christ?s presence but fail to mend their ways. In contrast, we as Jesus? disciples refuse to be molded by the life-style of "this generation." Though in the world, we must be no part of it, "for the appointed time is near." (Revelation 1:3; John 17:16) The apostle Paul admonishes us: "Keep doing all things free from murmurings and arguments, that you may come to be blameless and innocent, children of God without a blemish in among a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you are shining as illuminators in the world." ?Philippians 2:14, 15; Colossians 3:5-10; 1 John 2:15-17.

Our "shining as illuminators" includes not only displaying a clean Christian personality but, above all, fulfilling Jesus? prophetic commission: "This good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come." (Matthew 24:14) No human can say when that end will be, but we know that the end of "this generation" of wicked people will come once the witness has been given to God?s satisfaction "to the most distant part of the earth."?Acts 1:8.

"That

Day and Hour"

When the global witness has been accomplished to the extent Jehovah purposes, it will be his "day and hour" to dispose of this world?s system. We do not need to know the date in advance. Thus, following Jesus? example, the apostle Paul admonished: "Now as for the times and the seasons, brothers, you need nothing to be written to you. For you yourselves know quite well that Jehovah?s day is coming exactly as a thief in the night. Whenever it is that they are saying: ?Peace and security!? then sudden destruction is to be instantly upon them just as the pang of distress upon a pregnant woman; and they will by no means escape." Note Paul?s focus: ?It is when they are saying.? Yes, when there is talk of "peace and security," when it is least expected, God?s judgment will suddenly be executed. How appropriate is Paul?s advice: "So, then, let us not sleep on as the rest do, but let us stay awake and keep our senses"!?1 Thessalonians 5:1-3, 6; see also verses 1Th 7-11; Acts 1:7.

Does our more precise viewpoint on "this generation" mean that Armageddon is further away than we had thought? Not at all! Though we at no time have known the "day and hour," Jehovah God has always known it, and he does not change. (Malachi 3:6) Obviously, the world is sinking further and further toward terminal ruination. The need to keep awake is more critical than it has ever been. Jehovah has revealed to us "the things that must shortly take place," and we should respond with an absorbing sense of urgency.?Revelation 1:1; 11:18; 16:14, 16.

As the time approaches, keep awake, for Jehovah is about to bring calamity on all of Satan?s system! (Jeremiah 25:29-31) Jehovah says: "I shall certainly magnify myself and sanctify myself and make myself known before the eyes of many nations; and they will have to know that I am Jehovah." (Ezekiel 38:23) That decisive "day of Jehovah" draws near!?Joel 1:15; 2:1, 2; Amos 5:18-20; Zephaniah 2:2, 3.

Righteous

"New Heavens and a New Earth"

Concerning ?all these things that must occur? Jesus said: "Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will by no means pass away." (Matthew 24:34, 35) Jesus likely had in mind the "heaven and earth"?the rulers and the ruled?of "this generation." The apostle Peter used similar words in referring to "the heavens and the earth that are now," which are "stored up for fire and are being reserved to the day of judgment and of destruction of the ungodly men." He next describes how "Jehovah?s day will come as a thief, in which the [governmental] heavens will pass away" together with a corrupt human society, or "earth," and its sinful works. The apostle then exhorts us to "holy acts of conduct and deeds of godly devotion, [as we are] awaiting and keeping close in mind the presence of the day of Jehovah, through which the heavens being on fire will be dissolved and the elements being intensely hot will melt!" What follows? Peter turns our attention to ?new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness is to dwell.??2 Peter 3:7, 10-13.

Those "new heavens," the Kingdom rule by Christ Jesus and his associate kings, will shower blessings on the righteous "new earth" society of mankind. Are you a prospective member of that society? If so, you have reason to exult over the grand future in store!?Isaiah 65:17-19; Revelation 21:1-5.

Yes, a righteous "generation" of mankind is even now being gathered. Today the anointed "faithful and discreet slave" is providing divine education in line with the words of Psalm 78:1, 4: "Do give ear, O my people, to my law; incline your ear to the sayings of my mouth . . . , relating them even to the generation to come, the praises of Jehovah and his strength and his wonderful things that he has done." (Matthew 24:45-47) On April 14 of this year, in more than 75,500 congregations and in some 230 lands, over 12,000,000 persons around the earth attended the Memorial of Christ?s death. Were you among them? May you rest your faith on Christ Jesus and ?call on the name of Jehovah for salvation.??Romans 10:10-13.

"The time left is reduced," said the apostle Paul. It is time, therefore, to keep ever awake and busy in Jehovah?s work, as we endure trials and hatreds imposed by a wicked generation of mankind. (1 Corinthians 7:29; Matthew 10:22; 24:13, 14) Let us keep on the watch, observing all the things foretold in the Bible to come upon "this generation." (Luke 21:31-33) By escaping these things and by standing with divine approval before the Son of man, we may at last attain to the prize of everlasting life.
  • blondie
    blondie

I don't think 8 years later than many JWs understand what happened. I hear many still referring to the generation of 1914 and that they are getting up there in years.

To many of them, the end has to come before they die and they are in their 60's and 70's so they reason that the end can't be more than 10 years out there.

The point I thought was so telling was the change in November 8, 1995 in the Awake's statement of purpose on the inside cover.

In 1982 the Watchtower Society changed the prophecy on page 2 of each AWAKE! issue to include the same thought about 1914. It was no longer a vague "our generation" that would see the world's end, but the generation that saw the events of 1914: "...the Creator's promise of a peaceful and secure new order before the generation that saw the events of 1914 C.E. passes away." (January 8, 1982)

Nearly identical wording repeated this prophecy in each issue until January 8, 1987, when AWAKE!'s statement of purpose was moved to page 4 in a redesigned format. Starting with that issue, the 1914 generation prophecy was dropped entirely, without explanation.

Then it was restored--again without explanation--on page 4 of the March 8, 1988 issue: "...the Creator's promise of a peaceful and secure new world before the generation that saw the events of 1914 passes away"--wording that continued to appear through October, 1995.

http://www.cftf.com/comments/1914ggph.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit