What would happen?

by Esse quam videri 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri

A thrift store down the street is run by members of a small, local Christian congregation. Evangelical but not sure what religion they are affiliated with. They have set up the store as a non-profit and have a specific use for the funds they acquire. They visit old age homes on Sunday, every Sunday, for music sessions and snacks. Bring the guitars and kids with them and mingle with the elderly.

They also have adopted small Christian congregations in Mexico, Cuba and Romania. The send $1000.00 a month to each of these small groups as well as visit them periodically and arrange for regular small groups of their teens to go to the adopted congregations and fellowship with them as well as have Bible study programs for a week or so. They bring some of these Mexicans, Cubans and Romanians to Canada for short trips to get away from the poverty they are living in and give them a break. They are a happy lot. Volunteer spirit always shines when you are around them.

My question.

What would happen to a Jehovah's Witness congregation if they took it upon themselves to set up a thrift store, adopt three congregations in poorer countries and developed a faith building relationship with their adopted brothers and sisters, TOTALLY separate from any control or instructions from the Watchtower Headquarters?

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

I would suspect that they were real Christians after all.

And no doubt headquarters would shut them down real quick.

• mikeflood
    mikeflood

Ohhh...and a playground for little kids too...please.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

It's 'wrong' because it's apart from 'mother' and has nothing to do with furthering the organization's interests. They would be giving 'admonition' and then if they didn't change course would be disfellowshipped for apostasy.

• Perry
    Perry

They probably would want to somehow be in control of the whole operation. Likely local elders would be counseled to give the funds directly to the society and they would then figure out what is in the best interests of everyone involved.... in due time of course.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

They would be "counselled" against helping I suspect. If just helping can't be done on a local level in an area with a high refugee intake I doubt the powers that be would allow it unless it became part of the JW missionary programme and the society controlled how much money went there and what it was to be spent on.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

Probably be ''counselled'' in a way or ''mildly disciplined" in some form.

If one didn't "change'' probably be disfellowshipped for "apostasy"

Then tell the ''brothers'' who outed you about what you discovered from Crisis of Conscience and do a ''flame thrower'' on every one you know about what you learned from Mr Raymond Franz's books.

• Steel
    Steel

I ran into a couple pioneers shopping at a Christian thrift store once. They were looking for cheap ties.

Man were they surprised to see me.

I don't know if that actually breaks the rules.

• Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri

They were looking for cheap ties.... I don't know if that actually breaks the rules.

Cheap ties tend to be loud and obnoxious. Probably would break some dress code rule.

Is that what you meant? Ha,ha.

• LV101
    LV101

Yeah -- JWs taking advantage of the wicked, worldly, system, including the Christian organizations that work 24/7 to aid the downtrodden, hungry, communities. I was shocked when I heard some of the elderly JW couples eat at the various sponsored worldly Thanksgiving day feasts. Do these people have no conscience partaking for free! Always looking for a handout or to sleaze something out of someone -- taking advantage of everything they possibly can -- after all, they've been chosen and are certainly entitled.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit