Has Politics Hurt Your Friendships?

by minimus 23 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I think everyone has the right to believe in whatever they want to believe. If you want to believe that Jehovah’s Witnesses have the truth, that’s your right. If you want to believe in global warming being the most horrific thing we have to face,that’s your right.

Have you been adversely affected by political stands and beliefs? Just curious if this has affected you.

• jp1692
    jp1692

No.

I no longer have friends that choose beliefs over people. Such a mentality is stiflingly narrow-minded, judgmental, self-righteous and arrogant. I simply can't stand to be around people with such a worldview.

That all ended when I left the JW cult. I have since studiously avoided joining any other cults: religious, political or otherwise.

• TD
    TD

Yes. But only recently for some strange reason.

It would be easy to blame the Trump presidency, but that's not fair either.

I honestly don't know what has changed.

• Bad_Wolf
    Bad_Wolf
    Yes. But only recently for some strange reason.
    It would be easy to blame the Trump presidency, but that's not fair either.
    I honestly don't know what has changed.

Social media. Prior to social media, politics was discussed one to one. That combined with viral news and 'fake news' and lies being spread, then people start to believe it all about those with differing views.

• resolute Bandicoot
    resolute Bandicoot

I feel that the left / Right dichotomy is becoming a very divisive issue.

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno

I had one friendship affected in these politically divisive times. But I don’t think it was because of politics. I think it was because of thin skin.

I shared a hilarious meme that was at the expense of Hillary, and he got so offended that I just stopped sharing anything with him or being myself out of fear of offending him.

Eventually, I realized he wasn’t much of a friend to react so negatively to a harmless meme that I just left the ball in his court to communicate. He never did, and we haven’t spoken in about 2 years now.

• josephus
    josephus

Real and Facebook Freind's.

But I guess that's the way it goes. I'm willing to debate and change my views. if you aren't or you call me names I'm better off without your dumbness in my life.

• minimus
    minimus

I’ve had a couple of people from Facebook go into a tizzy because I disagreed with them. As mentioned earlier, who needs this type of person in your life? I’m done with that.

• TD
    TD

Social media

Could be.

In my case, a conservative friend suddenly decided that basic standards of social etiquette (e.g. Not tossing around ethnic slurs, especially in front of people of the target ethnicity.) was "politically correct lefty crap" that can now be dispensed with.

• Apostate Anonymous
    Apostate Anonymous

^^^^^ LOL I love it

Not being able to express hate without being challenged is somehow "oppression" for some folks

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit