35 Years Ago Today - John Lennon - Peace Advocate was Murdered

by flipper 58 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

In this age of violence with the San Bernardino and France massacres sometimes it's good to reflect on the wise words of the peace advocates among us who proposed a better solution in bringing a more civil society to our universe. John Lennon, Martin Luther King Jr. - people who stood up for equal rights and world peace and denounced violence and war - no matter how that violence occurs. Please feel free to comment on stories of John Lennon on this thread and feel free to post any you tubes of his music that you may have enjoyed through the years. We need more peace advocates today like he was 35 years ago and before. Rest in Peace John. Peace out, Mr. Flipper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dHUfy_YBps.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Wow, 35 years! I'd been baptised eight months and out of school for six. I remember I'd bought a copy of (Just like) Starting Over which was heading out of the UK top 40 when Lennon was shot. Of course, it went straight back to number 1 that week.

What a loss.

• Simon
    Simon

All because some loser with a gun wanted to be famous the only way a loser with a gun can be - by killing someone who had achieved something or meant something more than they ever could.

It was shocking, I remember walking down the street in Warrington and people were just telling the news to absolute strangers who then passed it on. So very very sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkzgAJbfme8

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

John Lennon wasn't always what everybody thought he was.

"I have to say that, from my point of view, I felt that he was a hypocrite. Dad could talk about peace and love out loud to the world but he could never show it to the people who supposedly meant the most to him; his wife and son. How can you talk about peace and love and have a family in bits and pieces - no communication, adultery, divorce? You can't do it, not if you're being true and honest with yourself." Julian Lennon

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Good thread, Flipper.

Absolutely terrible what Mark Chapman did. I've read that he used hollow point bullets that spread out on contact, i.e. causing even more internal damage than would have otherwise been the case. Apparently, four of his five shots connected with Lennon, completely destroying the part of the aorta that leaves the heart. Unfortunately, he didn't stand a chance. I hope Chapman rots in his cell.

Lennon was, on balance, a very talented, nice guy, who did advocate peace. He was a bit of a hero of mine when I was a rebellious teenager.

One favourite Lennon story: although hetero, his sexuality was 'fluid', i.e. he was curious about gay sex and other scenarios. Apparently, when in Hamburg as a young man, he used to regularly visit shemale prostitutes. Very Lennon!

Here's a Lennon song which I've always liked. It kinda has 3 parts - the non-rhyming verse (she's not a girl, who misses much ...); 'Mother Superior jumped the gun!'; and the chorus 'happiness is a warm gun'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsDFxmbjZ7I

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle
    I was watching a TV show " Cell Block H" when a scrawl/chiron at the bottom of the screen announced John Lennon was shot.
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Er, just realized, I commented on the shooting of John Lennon and posted a song called Happiness is a Warm Gun. If it looks bad, I didn't mean it that way.

I also like this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOzqg1Z8rTU

• Clambake
    Clambake

John Lennon wasn’t really that good a person on a personal level. I have always thought that was kind of Ironic.

• flipper
    flipper

NICOLAOU- It truly was a loss of tremendous proportions. Some really good songs on the Double Fantasy album indeed.

SIMON- Thanks for posting the you tube of McCartney's tribute song to Lennon. I was devastated as well at age 21 when I saw it flashed across Monday Night Football from Howard Cosell that Lennon was shot and killed . I grew up loving the Beatles music. Still do love it. McCartney and Lennon were my boyhood heroes. Still are. Even though they had their differences over the years- they did patch things up before Lennon was killed. Paul and John working together in my opinion were some of the greatest songwriters in the history of rock n' roll. Individually their work wasn't too shabby either- however - I think they were better as a songwriting team. But their individual efforts like " Mind Games " , " Imagine " , " Band on the Run " , " My Love " - any songwriter would give his or her writing hand to write classics like those.

LITTLEROCKGUY- Of course John Lennon made some bad mistakes in his life , who hasn't ? It's sad that his first marriage broke up , but I do believe he made his peace with Julian from what I've read before he died. Who died and made you " God " to judge people ? We've all screwed up in our lives in a personal way. Whether it's adultery, drinking, drugs - who the hell cares ? If we accomplish bigger things in life for the greater good of humanity it doesn't nullify the good someone does. John Lennon never murdered anybody. I have more animosity towards Mark David Chapman and other murderers than Lennon's indiscretions. But I guess you've never screwed up in your life and are perfect before the 1,000 year reign has started- correct ? Jesus. Get a life.

LOVEUNIHATEXAMS- Thanks for the you tubes ! Don't worry about posting Happiness is a Warm Gun . It was a great song ! Lennon was a great songwriter indeed. Thanks for responding. Mark David Chapman can rot in his jail cell for all I care. What a sicko.

RIP VAN W INKLE- I think a lot of us remember where we were when Lennon got shot like some of us remember where we were when John kennedy got shot. Very awful feeling we were all left with indeed.

CLAMBAKE- Well, as I expressed I am sure John had his faults. But don't you and I as well ? Sounds like we have some judgmental JW's or ex-JW's on this board. Come on people , get real Are we all perfect here- or what ? Good lord. Why not just kick the dead while they're buried and not respect the dead ? Pretty weird option if you ask me

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

I remember I was only a little grade student kid when he was shot. What is even more shocking about his death, there is a picture of John Lennon signing someones autograph just hours before he was shot. The person who allegedly shot Lennon was standing right beside Lennon in this photo just hours before he shot him.

There was a series of photos on MSN a few weeks ago of famous people who were photographed, moments or hours before they were killed, this was one of them. Sad and Shocking, very much.

R.I.P. John Lennon!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit