Society on Documenting Personal Views

by Marvin Shilmer 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Errata

Today I noticed the word comments in the next to last paragraph of the April 25, 2001 letter I reproduced on this forum. The correct word is commitments. The thought remains essentially the same. I apologize for the error.

A scanned version of this letter is now available online. I am not sure of the Web address. Perhaps another contributor can provide it.

• AlanF
  • Nicodemus
    Nicodemus

Marvin,

I found this following section particularly fascinating:

While in some instances we can cooperate with research projects—including surveys—we certainly want to avoid having publishers expressing personal viewpoints that may not be in line with the Bible principles that really govern each Christian’s conduct and the united efforts of the brotherhood to carry out Jehovah’s will.

We commonly portray other religions as “disunited.” Namely, that there is disagreement among members as to official beliefs held by the Church. In contrast, we tout the “unity” of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

If that is truly the case, why would the above-mentioned situation ever be a concern?

• AlanF
    AlanF

Howdy Nicodemus!

I'm sure you're only posing a rhetorical question here. The answer is that the Society knows that individual JWs are not as united as JW theoreticians would like. So in the usual cultish fashion, the leaders are extremely concerned that outsiders not be given the slightest hint that theory and practice don't match very well. Also of concern is that the slightest allowance that JWs might have their own opinions might give rise to further differing opinions. They're afraid of the Slippery Slope.

Especially during the reign of terror of Chairman Mao, the Chinese government acted exactly as the Watchtower Society is now doing. Only a tiny number of top officials were allowed to speak to outside journalists without supervision. When 'regular' Chinese were allowed to speak to journalists at all, it was only under strict supervision. No Chinese was allowed to be alone with journalists, for fear of their slipping up and not toeing the Party line.

The only difference between Watchtower and Chinese actions is that the Chinese had the political power to force citizens to do what it told them.

AlanF

• free @ last
    free @ last

bump

has the society made any other comments recently along these lines... discouraging responding to surveryors questions?

• Farkel
    Farkel

marvin,

Any religion that didn't have anything to hide would have issued this missive to their congos:

"Brothers,

"No matter what they ask, just tell them the truth. We have nothing to hide."

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit